Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New "spear phishing" warning

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/04/04/ba...curity-breach/

Watch out for recent threats via "spear phishing," which rely on having more intimate knowledge of the victims.

It is enough to almost make me not use online bill paying. Do you pay bills online? Have online accounts? Feel secure about it?

Companies behind such brands as Chase, Citi and Best Buy said over the weekend that hackers may have learned their email addresses because of a security breach

"This data breach is going to facilitate that in a big way. Now they know which institution people bank with, they know their name and they have their email address,"

Among the affected are financial-service companies such as Capital One Financial Corp., Barclays Bank, U.S. Bancorp, Citigroup Inc., JPMorgan Chase & Co. and Ameriprise Financial Inc. and retailers including Best Buy Co., TiVo Inc., Walgreen Co. and Kroger Co.
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Re: New "spear phishing" warning

Damn...this is unnerving. I've already heard from Target about the email security breach. Haven't yet heard from Barclays.

Comment

I got the warning from Best Buy. They said it is unlikely that hackers were able to get banking info from their secure site. But to watch out anyway. and of course warned not to give out any personal info to emails requesting it since they don't ever do that. I'm still gonna pay bills/buy things online. I do watch my bank account anyway (only because I'm always so broke ) so I feel pretty secure.
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I've already received a bogus email from 'Citi' suggesting I verify and change my account login information. In the email it directed me not to reply to the email and yet it had a link to click to access my account - LOL. My policy is - don't call me, I'll call you (mebbe).
        May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

i made a post earlier about HECO online bill pay. they use a third party that requires you enter your SS# each time you pay a bill. i wont use a system like that. they also hold onto your funds till the last possible second and batch pay their clients leveraging your money in the meantime. "checkfree" has been written up in many consumer articles as being less than scrupulous. i wrote HECO a letter about this with no response.
          I use bank of hawaii bill pay for all my bills.
          the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
            I got the warning from Best Buy.
            I got that warning from Best Buy too in my e-mail today.

Comment

http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-bud...bb-creditcards

Those hackers are always one step ahead.

Comment

Working...
              X