Kelly's (Nimitz and Lagoon Dr.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kelly's (Nimitz and Lagoon Dr.)

The Bob's Big Boy thread got me thinking about the area. A friend told me that Kellys closed years ago. And is now (was) another restaurant.

What happened? I recall they always have business 24/7. Maybe it wasn't the best, but it was always there. If it is another restaurant, and they can make it. Why not Kellys?

Tell me the story. I've been gone a long time.

Re: Kelly's (Nimitz and Lagoon Dr.)

Haven't been by there lately, but my recollection is that the former Kelly's corner (or most of it?) is now occupied by a Harley Davidson outlet and a Wendy's.

Comment

The SB article about Kelly's closing is still online. Wow, next month will mark 13 years since the venerable coffee shop served its last cup of Joe.

All I can say is,.... if you're nostalgic for these old-fashioned 24 hour eateries, go out and patrionize them NOW. Places like Likelike Drive Inn and Byron's Drive In may not be around forever. The day when the proprietors of those establishments retire or can no longer continue working is when it all comes to an end.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I used to live a block from Kelly's, they had a decent bakery, a main dining room that served basic fare but some good stuff, and a lounge/bar. It should have had a boost in quality and some promo and stayed in business.

I always get the shrimp burger at Byron's, just like semi-old times.
        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

i like byrons....good place to gas up the rental car and hang out til your flight time whether heading to the mainland or interisland. they have good food a place to hang and a little old timey feel.
          the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

Drove by there this weekend - and on-the-fly saw that what used to be the bowling alley building on that block is still there. I think at one point it was used as a place of worship?

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
              Drove by there this weekend - and on-the-fly saw that what used to be the bowling alley building on that block is still there. I think at one point it was used as a place of worship?
              I think the bowling alley you're describing was Kelly's Bowl. There was another bowling alley, Jet Lanes, in the airport area nearby. Kelly's Bowl and Kelly's (the restaurant and bar) were linked. I remember the cowboy stuff, and going to Kelly's to eat (and drink), usually after bowling at Jet Lanes.

Comment

The bar at Kelly's was named Bronco's and next to Jet Lanes was Jet Burger.

Comment

Working...
                X