hawaii electric uses mycheckfree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hawaii electric uses mycheckfree

I recently decided to try to go paperless on some of my bills.
    dish network was easy and so was acouple of credit cards. when i got to HELCO they sent me to a third party website that processes payment for them and dozens of other utilities thru out the nation.
    It seemed easy enough until i got to the part where they wanted my birthdate and SS#. This made me take pause and think "why do they need this". None of the other companies i deal with require this. I avoid ever typing my SS# onto my computer and never give my full birthdate.
    It turns out that this company does a credit check on you and then shares your personal spending habits with other third party associates. if you blindly click thru all the fine print that you have to agree to you will miss these little nuggets of information.
    Now why does HELCO use a company like this instead of administering their own website? i have sent two emails to Helco asking them just this with no response.
    I did a google search of this "mycheckfree.com" website business and it turns out that they are one of the largest on line bill payment processor in the US.
    They also have complaints of taking the funds out your acct at the earliest possible date and paying the bill at the latest possible date creating a float with your money and millions of others as well. they in turn will pay your bill not from your acct but a third party shell corporation you will not be able to get copies of your payment to HELCO only their verification which turns out is not an accurate representation of where your funds gone during this float.
    It turns out that this is legal but i would say it is not ethical.
    they are making tons of money on the float with out full disclosure of these facts.
    They are also going to share your sppending habits with other companies so they can market to you via emai and telephone. you have to really read the fine print to opt out of this.
    Mycheckfree has also been a victim hackers back in 2009. they lost control of all their data for several days. this is why you never want to enter your SS# in to your computer. there are also unrelated programs that can get onto your computer to log all your keystrokes.
    Again i really wonder why HELCO uses this system.
    maybe if enough folks complain they would change.
    the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.
Working...
X