Christmas airfares are extremely expensive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas airfares are extremely expensive

Well...I fail at Spelling so here is my second shot: *Christmas Airfares are EXTREMELY Expensive.*

Why is it that airfares are EXTREMELY expensive coming back to Hawaii once the semester ends (Christmas and Summer). I just wanted to rant in disgust at how many airlines flying to Hawaii capitalize on the fares of students trying to fly back home - especially our own, Hawaiian Airlines. A ticket on average is 800-1000 after Finals week.

*sigh* I guess I'll be staying in California for the winter.
    Last edited by PBatoon; December 9, 2009, 04:21 PM.
    I hope to be a Biochemist someday

Re: Christmas Airfaires are ETREMELY Expensive.

Did you wait this long to book airfare? No wonder it's so expensive then. If you want to travel over the holidays, you have to book in advance, and you have to be willing to compromise a bit. Often you can get a good deal by flying on Christmas or New Years. I regularly fly to and from Honolulu over what would be considered school breaks and I've never paid $800, not even when going to the east coast.

Where are you flying from? I just did a price search from LAX to HNL on expedia.com and managed to find round trip leaving Dec 13 and coming back January 6th for $519. It's a little higher than I would usually be willing to pay for West Coast to Hawaii but it's still not as high as you were seeing.

If you want to keep an eye on good deals, sign up for the airfarewatchdog.com mailing list. I've seen some great deals on there, especially for last minute travel.
    Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
    Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

Re: Christmas Airfaires are ETREMELY Expensive.

I guess I should feel extremely lucky that I'll be flying to LA and back (all the way to Hilo) for $65 round trip this friday.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Re: Christmas airfares are extremely expensive

I've actually been looking since the summer and the airfares have constantly been around 500-600 dollars (thinking this was due to the inflation and summer gas prices) and decided to wait it out. It eventually didnt turn out so well as the prices maintained and then slowly rose. Im just kind of bummed cause the prices did drop in the past fall seasons and that aloha airlines doesnt have some kind of kamaaina student program or something.
        I hope to be a Biochemist someday

Comment

Re: Christmas airfares are extremely expensive

Originally posted by PBatoon View Post
          I've actually been looking since the summer and the airfares have constantly been around 500-600 dollars (thinking this was due to the inflation and summer gas prices) and decided to wait it out. It eventually didnt turn out so well as the prices maintained and then slowly rose. Im just kind of bummed cause the prices did drop in the past fall seasons and that aloha airlines doesnt have some kind of kamaaina student program or something.
          You gotta start flying Hawaiian Airlines frequently enough to garner Platinum status. From there you get all kinds of freebees such as free round trip to Manilla and 90% discounted ticket prices between the West Coast and Hawaii. BTW Aloha Airlines no longer exists anymore. OUT OF BUSINESS.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
          X