Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Urban chickens

no cook me i goin run away!! <Rap Reiplinger's Auntie Marialani voice>
    I forgot about that part hah! I wonder if town chickens get along with country chickens; or if they act differently at all?

Comment

They taste like rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
        How come the mongoose and all the feral cats don't eat the chickens? I heard that Kaua'i doesn't have mongoose and they've got lots of chickens over there.
        You ever tangle with one of those moa? Sheesh, they're aggressive little buggers. We went up to Kokee Lodge a couple of years ago. I went to the little gift shop and bought some bird feed. Had ucka plenty moa running around in the parking lot. Man, the minute I walked outside and they spock dat manini bag of feed...Ho! was like one attack of locusts! I had some feed in my hand and dis really handsome cock saw the feed. He didn't even wait for me to throw the feed on the ground...he just flew up, ricochetted off my head, perched on my arm and pecked the feed out of the palm of my hand (I get one picture of this). Those birds have no fear. A mongoose wouldn't stand a chance against a moa.

Miulang

P.S. we get plenty loose rabbits in one of our local parks. Unwanted Easter presents, I think. Now they've multiplied to the point where maybe somebody should "harvest" some and turn them into stew!
        Last edited by Miulang; August 4, 2005, 05:48 PM.
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne
          I wonder if town chickens get along with country chickens; or if they act differently at all?

town chickens say with pompous yuppie pretense:
          "I am a townie"
          and da country chicken slash em up wit da cockfight razah!

Comment

Originally posted by Eric
            You guys are funny! But seriously, are there really more chickens around town these days?
            Yo! I mean Nes!

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
              Nah but seriously, when Iniki hit Kauai back in 92, it dispersed a lot of chickens all over that county, that's why there's so many out and around Kauai.
              Actually the chickens started to roam after Iwa in 1982. I had the impression that a major chicken farm located in Koloa was responsible but I suspect other smaller non-commerical chicken coops around the island got wiped out and let those chickens loose.

Granted they seem to be part of the landscape now but I think there are enough predators to keep the chickens in balance.

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
              As for Oahu, I don't know but now with HPD cracking down on cock fighting, maybe da owners are just letting them loose?
              No idea where the Oahu chickens are from but I have seen one last year at Ala Moana Beach Park and more recently around the Queen's Hospital area. One thing I do notice is that the Oahu chickens are either alone or they are adults. The ones on Kauai you can see a hen with 3 to 5 chicks following her around.

Comment

Been making trips to Windward Community College since last year and I sort of noticed a whole bunch of chickens that inhabit the grounds of the campus. No idea where they came from or how long they have been there (never seen them during the rocket launches).

Comment

Odd, I was just thinking that there are less chickens around, particularly in Pearl City. I was wondering if someone was hired (or just took it upon themselves) to round up all the feral chickens.

Comment

Urban chickens?
                    Are those the ones with street cred?
                    I did notice that there were less chickens roaming around on Kauai a couple weeks ago. I don't know how edible those chickens are. But in this economy, some people might be eating them.

Comment

Da moa on Kaua`i gone up to Waimea Canyon chasing my husband for that one scoop rice!! Oh, and dey stay at Kokee Lodge, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
                        Odd, I was just thinking that there are less chickens around, particularly in Pearl City. I was wondering if someone was hired (or just took it upon themselves) to round up all the feral chickens.
                        They must have moved to my neighborhood. They have been waking me up at 4:30 a.m. for the past couple months.

All the "chicken crossing the road" jokes in this thread are pretty funny. But I actually saw one "urban chicken" using a crosswalk to cross the road in Makiki.

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
                          Da moa on Kaua`i gone up to Waimea Canyon chasing my husband for that one scoop rice!! Oh, and dey stay at Kokee Lodge, too.

[IMG]http://cyleet.smugmug.com/photos/430312598_CGqpa-

M.jpg[/IMG]
                          I remember the moa being the logo of the Kokee Lodge, I got my dog a
                          t-shirt from there! We have seemingly hundreds of them here in my
                          neighborhood, I can't get rid of them from my sideyard and the idiots
                          next door feed them all the time. Koele has actually killed two young
                          ones in the past few months, I didn't think she had it in her. She just
                          snaps the neck, it's gross and I hate dealing with the poor thing after.
                          Manele has no interest in them whatsoever.

Comment

http://www.kitv.com/news/bill-target...geons/33945314

Pigeons rule urban Oahu of the feathered fowls.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                              http://www.kitv.com/news/bill-target...geons/33945314

Pigeons rule urban Oahu of the feathered fowls.
                              Free food for the homeless.
                              Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                              ~ ~
                              Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                              Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                              Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2019/...arkansas-city/

It needs to be rooster blocked.

Comment

Working...
                                X