New smoking ban

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New smoking ban

This is an interesting approach to side-stepping a law ... maybe stores on Maui and Kauai can buy an annual permit to be able to use plastic bags .... $1000 for small bags, $2000 for large bags, $3000 for assorted sizes.
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Sounds like sanctioned bribary.
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Well the new stand in health director Fuddy emerged from the unsavory bowels of the "Health Department" to testify against SB708 that would have given an option to bars that had suffered financial hardship from the smoking ban. Basically the attitude was if some mom and pop pubs go out of business, well then that's tough sh*t.

It's quite interesting that this new cabinet member representing the state's health interests is obese. What hypocrisy it is that ms. Fuddy hates smoking for health reasons and then chooses to waddle around looking like an overstuffed penguin. You won't see her smoking, instead you'll probably this "health advocate" stuffing her face with supersized fries and a triple cheeseburger.

It's become clear as of late that the Abercombie administration is digging to the bottom of the barrel to try to find a health director. This is number three already. I actually feel sorry for the governor that this is the best the health community has that actually wants to do the job.

Don't get me wrong, I don't pick on people that are overweight - UNLESS they are a hypocrite going out of their way to commit transgressive acts on other people for not following a "health lifestyle". Speaking out against SB708 would fit this standard. She didn't have to support the bill, she could have just ignored it and stayed in her office playing Farmville or something.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
          While we're at it, Kaonohi, why can't we have both integrated and segregated neighborhoods, buses, workplaces, states, etc.?
          Why can't we all have what we want? Hmmm...
          Sure, we can all vote and let the majority (mob) rule. If you don't like the outcome you sure are free to move to a state, region, town, workplace or country that supports your values.

Actually, that sounds pretty good! Live where the values match your own! Didn't Utah essentially do that?

Let's see, 50 U.S. states give plenty choice, and there's always foreign countries....

Legal pot and nudity? Denmark (I think)....

Racial segregation? Alabama!

Sure, we can all have what we want - but maybe not where we want!

Me? I'm going to download my brain to the Internet, 'off' the body (it's too broken anyway), and live on a Sci-Fi fiction page.

Don't worry, I'll visit.
          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
          ~ ~
          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by AlohaKine View Post
            It's quite interesting that this new cabinet member representing the state's health interests is obese. What hypocrisy it is that ms. Fuddy hates smoking for health reasons and then chooses to waddle around looking like an overstuffed penguin. You won't see her smoking, instead you'll probably this "health advocate" stuffing her face with supersized fries and a triple cheeseburger.
            Ah, AlohaKine - you are one class act, you know that?

Comment

anyone discussed those electronic cigarettes? Does the law forbid the act of smoking (which is what you're doing with electronic cigs) or making smoke from cigarettes?

The term "Smoking" seems to refer to a verb. If that's the case, then smoking meat, tires, etc would also be banned right?

Thinking outside the box here. Sometimes waayyyy outside the box
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

good question, there was an article in the paper today about banning them on airplanes...seems reasonable.
                e cigs dont smoke they steam...so you would be steaming. ita actually a water vapor that contains nicotine....i too am curious about using them in non smoking areas... i saw someone using one at the kona airport... they dont put out much second hand vapor and there is no smell.
                the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

The antis don't like e-cigs. Well they don't have a scent, a smoker can't get cancer from one and they are not messy. They are also less enjoyable.

So why doesn't the anti-smoking lobby like them? Simple, the amount of settlement dollars they get a cut off of is based on the volume of real cigarette sales in Hawaii. With e-cigs, people still smoke and they don't get a penny from it. That's why they want to ban them.

Comment

... a smoker can't get cancer from one ...
                    But haven't you been saying all along that you don't get cancer from regular cigarettes either?

Comment

So why doesn't the anti-smoking lobby like them? Simple, the amount of settlement dollars they get a cut off of is based on the volume of real cigarette sales in Hawaii. With e-cigs, people still smoke and they don't get a penny from it. That's why they want to ban them.
                      You bring up "settlement dollars", and the StarBulletin had an interesting article yesterday about tobacco settlement money that does go to good use:

[My bolds] The tobacco settlement pays the state between $40 million and $60 million a year. The money is the result of an agreement between 46 states and large tobacco companies to recover costs paid by taxpayers for tobacco-related ailments. In addition to a proposal to redirect medical school money, lawmakers are contemplating sweeping all special funds, including the tobacco settlement fund, into the general fund. Tobacco money was used to finance construction of the medical school's $150 million Kakaako campus in 2005 and subsequently to fund operations, with between $3 million and $4 million allotted to the school annually. The medical school also receives more than $10 million a year from the tobacco fund to pay its debt service.
                      http://www.staradvertiser.com/busine...in_smoke.html#

As for me today, I'm getting ready to catch an early flight for work, and am happy that I will ride in a smoke-free taxi, wait in a smoke-free airport, and be on a smoke-free flight. Viva la smoking bans!

Comment

Originally posted by escondido100 View Post
                        good question, there was an article in the paper today about banning them on airplanes...seems reasonable.
                        e cigs dont smoke they steam...so you would be steaming. ita actually a water vapor that contains nicotine....i too am curious about using them in non smoking areas... i saw someone using one at the kona airport... they dont put out much second hand vapor and there is no smell.
                        I saw someone using one of those things too. When they exhale the vapor dissapates rather quickly.

I cannot imagine an e-cig being banned since it doesn't fall into the catagory of what second-hand smoke does, nor does it contribute to any known health concerns other than those e-cigs that use nicotine.

This is why I bring up this concern. For non-smokers, the simple act of smoking may bring up emotions that could upset them. If that's criminal, then I guess picking your nose or other disgusting habits could be criminal as well.

Personally if someone was arrested for using an e-cig citing that they were "smoking" I would ask the court to define the term "smoking" and apply it to what the offender was doing.

Comment

I'm thinking that the current laws have to do with "tobacco" use [which is not the case with ecigs], and second-hand smoke [which is not the case with ecigs], so ecigs should be safe from falling under the rules of current laws.

To affect ecigs, wouldn't they would have to pass new laws to ban the use of "nicotine", which won't happen because nicotine gum is one of the ways they promote to help stop smoking.

Comment

I guess the litmus test is to have someone attempt to try one of these e-cigs in an area that restricts smoking and see what happens.

Comment

http://health.msn.com/health-topics/...5889&gt1=31020

I guess that's the price for looking cool smoking a cig.

Comment

so this makes no sense at all. I'm not a smoker but this falls on the simple stigma of what it's trying to emulate. http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/b...129808723.html

Comment

Working...
                                X