Oahu and Rain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oahu and Rain

TG, I was just going to post about both of those things too! But from a slightly different angle.
    I agree the kayakers were dumb to even try to go out, but I think even more blame goes to the company that rented the kayaks to them. They were more interested in making a buck than in warning tourists about the dangerous conditions. Shame on the rental company!
    And about the sailboat -- the problem is that the state harbor officials demanded the boat go out. That is criminal! Harbor officials have the legal right and responsibility to stop boats from going out in dangerous conditions. Instead they did just the opposite. It's the state, and not the boat owner, who ended up risking the lives of the passengers, the Coast Guard whose boat flipped over, and the HFD helicopter crew. The state harbor person who let that all happen should be terminated instantly.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification, LN! I'm absolutely astonished that the Ala Wai harbor official could be so irresponsible!! And disgusted. That guy better find himself a new line of work, and I intend to write Ala Wai a scathing email about this. I'm sooo mad! And I feel terrible for that boat's crew and owners.

As far as the kayakers - you're right! What sort of jerky rental company would even think about sending tourists out in those conditions!! Wind, rain, leptospirosis...how horrible for kayaking! Hey, but at least they made their overpriced kayak rental fees - I hope they get sued!

On the bright side, I'm getting ready to head over to sand island to see if our boat is still floating. Heeheee, I'm sure the boat is okay, its the crummy dock that I'm worried about (crosses fingers). Maybe I should throw some plywood and nails in the car just in case...
      ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
        And about the sailboat -- the problem is that the state harbor officials demanded the boat go out.
        What was behind that? I was guessing they were up against a deadline to keep their slip.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
          What was behind that? I was guessing they were up against a deadline to keep their slip.
          Exactly right.
          I remember a similar requirement in San Diego, where all the moorings are in what is now known as America's Cup Harbor. Lots of funky liveaboard boats on those moorings, and the harbor officials decided to require them to move past the harbor office once each year. So all the boat owners chipped in and bought one outboard engine, then took turns using it.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I still don't know what all the details are. According to one person it was still the captain's call to go out today. I have no clue as to what the window for doing this was, so there might be a procrastination issue. Seems like it would be prudent to extend a deadline if it falls on a day of small boat warnings, but at the same time, there's the need to keep someone from abusing it. I'm not sure what the answer is, but I imagine it can be worked out if they try.

Comment

Even if the kayak rental companies were renting out the equipment, you'd still have to be pretty stupid to actually take out the gear. The kayakers have to take some of the responsibility here. I went over to Lanikai today with my mainland guests, and there were signs posted saying to keep out of the water b/c it was contaminated due to sewage, but some dumb idiots were still in there swimming. And that water was nasty brown too. We turned around and hit Waimanalo instead, but I wonder if any of those Lanikai swimmers got sick?

On the bright side, I'm getting ready to head over to sand island to see if our boat is still floating. Heeheee, I'm sure the boat is okay, its the crummy dock that I'm worried about (crosses fingers). Maybe I should throw some plywood and nails in the car just in case...
              Is the boat still floating?

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Working...
              X