Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the deal with Wed and Thurs. nights

And no camping out allowed?
    If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Re: What's the deal with Wed and Thurs. nights

I am sort of confused as to what you are trying to ask here. The only clues so far are 2 nights and the unavailablity of camping out at some unspecified location.

I don't know if you are asking about camping with a tent at some public park or attempting to camp out with a lawn chair while standing in line to pick up tickets for some kind of performance.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
      I am sort of confused as to what you are trying to ask here. The only clues so far are 2 nights and the unavailablity of camping out at some unspecified location.

I don't know if you are asking about camping with a tent at some public park or attempting to camp out with a lawn chair while standing in line to pick up tickets for some kind of performance.
      Exactly, vague thread is vague. Hell, I don't even know if we've left Oklahoma. . .

What an IN-TENTS TOPIC!
      flickr

An email from God:
      To: People of Earth
      Date: 9/04/2007
      Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
      God

Comment

There might be an Occupy faction in your area where you can camp out with.

Comment

The title sentence and the sentence within the thread all run together to form this: What's the deal with Wed. and Thurs. nights and no camping out allowed?
          To spell it out for you, in seeking information about camping out and permit camping and finding the Hawaii website with all the details about it, I kept seeing Camping is not allowed on wednesday and thursday night.
          WHY??
          If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Comment

Memorylane...I have to agree with Helen. I saw that the title sentence and the sentence in the message ran together and I still had absolutely no idea what you were asking about until you explained it in #5 above.

Sorry, but I can't answer your question.

Comment

Now that you've explained it, it still doesn't make any sense. Perhaps a link to the website you were looking at would help. Are you talking about county parks or state parks? Or private campgrounds? Are you talking about every Wednesday and every Thursday of the year? I can almost say for sure that it's simply not true that you cannot camp out on Wednesday and Thursday nights as a general rule. Could you please be a little more specific so we can understand what you're talking about?

Where are you not allowed to camp out on Wednesday and Thursday nights? Who says you can't? Where did you find such information?

-----

Edit:

The City & County of Honolulu website says that permits are good beginning on Fridays at 8:00 in the morning through 8:00 a.m. on either Mondays or Wednesdays, depending on the campground. There is no camping at city parks on Wednesdays or Thursdays. This is news to me; I guess for all the camping I've done over all the years, I've never camped at a city park on those days. Most of my camping has been on private grounds, or at Kualoa (a city park) or Sand Island (a state park). My guess is that there's a break in the middle of the week to prevent people from legally living at the parks.

This restriction doesn't exist on the Big Island. In Hawaii County, you can camp for up to one whole week during summer months, or up to two weeks during non-summer months (see item #3 on page 3).

In Kauai County, it looks like every park has different hours, but most of them chase everyone out for a couple of hours once per week so they can do maintenance. I wonder if that also explains the Wednesday-Thursday rule on Oahu.

Interestingly, Maui County only has four official, permitted campgrounds: two on Maui and two on Molokai. This document (link is to a PDF) seems to indicate camping is allowed any day of the week, with fees depending on which days you plan to be there.

For state parks, there doesn't seem to be a restriction on particular days of the week, but permits are issued for a maximum five consecutive days. I have to say that the state website is a lot more helpful and more easily navigable than any of the county websites.

If you want to camp on Wednesday or Thursday, your best bet is either off Oahu or in a state park. Since county and state governments are different, you could probably get a permit for a county park to cover you from Friday to Wednesday, then break camp and head for a state park for a few days, and then return to a city park if that's what you really wanted to do.
              Last edited by scrivener; July 25, 2012, 11:37 AM.
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Just some links to camping information ---

City & County of Honolulu Camping Information (Parks)

http://www1.honolulu.gov/parks/camping.htm

Camping Permits: http://camping.honolulu.gov/

State of Hawaii Dept. of Land & Natural Resources

http://hawaii.gov/dlnr/ -

Permits
                Camping: (808) 587-0300
                Hiking: (808) 587-0166

http://www.hawaiistateparks.org/camping/fees.cfm

OK a minute before I posted this Scriv updated his post... oh well... camper be informed!
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

According to this webpage from the Hawaii State Parks website it says that State of Hawaii Parks on Oahu also closes to camping on Wednesday and Thursday as well.

I really don't know the real reason(s) for these closures, scrivener's two guesses seem to make sense to me as well. I can also add that these closures are not recent, they have been in effect since 1996 according to this PDF document (warning: it is 11 pages long) from the City and County of Honolulu Parks Department.
                  Last edited by helen; July 25, 2012, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X