Going Holo Holo (vacation travel)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going Holo Holo (vacation travel)

Share your ideas or trips you're doing with us!

My wife and I will be going to Kauai next February to celebrate our 20th Wedding Anniversary!

We'll be staying at the 'Coral Reef Hotel' http://www.hotelcoralreefresort.com/

Most importantly is getting her to...
    'Taylor Camp' at Ke'e Beach http://taylorcampkauai.com/live/
    and the
    'Blue Room' http://hawaiihideaways.com/hawaiitra...the-blue-room/

I've already got air, room and car reserved.
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Re: Going Holo Holo (vacation travel)

Congrats on the Anniversary! I've never been to Kauai. I fear it would be rural for me to enjoy more than a day trip. Now if I had someone to share it with, I suppose that would be different.

I've got a few trips planned for the summer. Next month I fly to Kobe, Japan to participate in a six week study abroad program. I'll stay with a host family in Kobe and study at Konan University. There are planned field trips to Kyoto and Awaji Island, and Osaka is also a likely sidetrip as it's only 30 minutes away.

After my program finished I plan to take a ferry over the Sea of Japan to Korea, to visit an old high school friend who moved there a few years back and has since started a family. I'll stay a few days in Korea before returning to Japan to take my flight back to Hawaii (late July).

After a few days in Hawaii to get settled, I'm flying once again, this time to Ohio to visit my mom and various other relatives. While there, I'll accompany my mother on a road trip/work conference to New Orleans for a weekend. My mother and I have discussed taking the Megabus up to Chicago, where I also have friends.

And that's pretty much it, I guess. I'll be home by mid-August to move back into the dorms.
    Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
    Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

I'm continuing to mourn the loss of Kona Village Resort; the only place on earth I care to visit. Kinda thinking about attending my 50th high school reunion next year, once I get the details. Time will tell!

Comment

Originally posted by sophielynette View Post
        1)Congrats on the Anniversary! I've never been to Kauai. I fear it would be (too) rural for me to enjoy more than a day trip. Now if I had someone to share it with, I suppose that would be different.

2)I've got a few trips planned for the summer. Next month I fly to Kobe, Japan to participate in a six week study abroad program. I'll stay with a host family in Kobe and study at Konan University. There are planned field trips to Kyoto and Awaji Island, and Osaka is also a likely side trip as it's only 30 minutes away.

After my program finished I plan to take a ferry over the Sea of Japan to Korea, to visit an old high school friend who moved there a few years back and has since started a family. I'll stay a few days in Korea before returning to Japan to take my flight back to Hawaii (late July).

3)After a few days in Hawaii to get settled, I'm flying once again, this time to Ohio to visit my mom and various other relatives. While there, I'll accompany my mother on a road trip/work conference to New Orleans for a weekend. My mother and I have discussed taking the Megabus up to Chicago, where I also have friends.

And that's pretty much it, I guess. I'll be home by mid-August to move back into the dorms.
        Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        4)I'm continuing to mourn the loss of Kona Village Resort; the only place on earth I care to visit. Kinda thinking about attending my 50th high school reunion next year, once I get the details. Time will tell!
        1)Thanks sofielynette! A long strange trip it's been...
        2)Wow! Sounds awesome. Incredible places you get to go.
        Take lots of photos and bring extra SD cards or whatever your camera takes.
        3)If can... invite us all to a beach park or something for a potluck get together while you're here. On Oahu?
        4)Hey tutusue... the Kona Village Resort may start back up.
        A friend has been approached to possibly manage it. Again, time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
          [...]
          4)Hey tutusue... the Kona Village Resort may start back up.
          A friend has been approached to possibly manage it. Again, time will tell.
          I'm reasonably sure the property will be resurrected in some way, shape or form. The big question is will it be restored to it's previous incarnation: a charming village with individual, thatched hales, winding dirt paths lit by torches, a beautiful lagoon with various fauna. And, most important, a return of the wonderful staff who have all been laid off. IOW, the previous ambiance. There's a Save Kona Village page on Facebook. That group has chosen a "board of directors" who e-meet regularly with the hopes of influencing the owners of the property. We want the OLD Kona Village back!

Comment

We want the OLD Kona Village back!
            I agree... and hope too.

And I like the idea of the local influence to keep it that way.

Comment

Share your ideas or trips you're doing with us!

My wife and I will be going to Kauai next February to celebrate our 20th Wedding Anniversary!

We'll be staying at the 'Coral Reef Hotel' http://www.hotelcoralreefresort.com/

Most importantly is getting her to...
              'Taylor Camp' at Ke'e Beach http://taylorcampkauai.com/live/
              and the
              'Blue Room' http://hawaiihideaways.com/hawaiitra...the-blue-room/

I've already got air, room and car reserved.
              I just re-read the above post and realized I didn't give the pre-story as to why Kauai and why the East/North sides specifically.

Mrs. Menehune and I went to Kauai for our first trip together back in 1991.
              I call it our 'Engagement' Honeymoon. We stayed in Lihue and mainly went West... enjoying the Waimea Canyon, sailing aboard a charter boat out of Port Allen small boat harbor in Eleele, the Fern Grotto, etc. So this time we're staying in Kapaa and headed mainly the other direction.

And I soooo much want to go to the Blue Room!

I looked up 20th Wedding Anniversary tradition and got 'CHINA' or 'PLATINUM'.
              Since she's not really crazy about either, guess I'll take her to a Chinese restaurant. HaHa!
              Last edited by Menehune Man; May 18, 2011, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Ms. Kaonohi and I celebrated our 21st in July 2010, working on our 22nd. Our honeymoon was spent in a tent in Kauai's forbidden beaches on the North Shore.
                Dropped off in 6' water by our friend's boat, (no beaching/landing allowed) and we hiked out in total bliss.

I found a NZ npenny under our tent as we setup or down; I still have it, and we still have each other (sigh). Keeping it forever.
                Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                ~ ~
                Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Ahhh... vacation has started! We both don't work tonight and fly out early tomorrow morning. Sooo excited!

Feb. 1st is our anniversary! Wow, twenty years already.
                  My boss said a funny one when I told him. He said...
                  "If you committed murder, you'd be out already." HaHa!

Aloha all for now!

Comment

Wow, I remember the Coral Reef Hotel. Stayed there twice. First time about 1983 or so before the new additions facing the beach, not satisfactory, a drunk couple in the adjacent room made whoopee noisily all night, echoing down the hallway and keeping us awake which was pretty bad because we set off on Kalalau 1 the next morning. Now, the kind of thing you laugh about but then irritating. Next time at the hotel, great, very nice to have the beach right out front, nice quiet rooms.

Kalalau, the hardest but the best hike I ever did. Before the first one we had hiked the Grand Canyon about 2 weeks earlier, it was a piece of cake, it really was easy compared to Kalalau. But sitting on that beach, gradually recovering strength, looking around, taking in the sights, oh my God this is an amazing place. Going out on the beach at night, billions of stars over head, the pali etched in the inkiest black against the stars, warm tropical air, what an utterly amazing place. Kalalau, pali eku i ka makani...

Comment

If headed to Kauai... truly consider the Coral reef Hotel. Great location, staff and at home feeling. We stayed in the ocean-front building second floor.
                      Terrific sunrises, whale and people watching too!

Sunrise from our place!
                      What an incredible trip, one to remember for a lifetime.
                      We made it everywhere without a hectic pace. Waimea Canyon, Taylor camp, Wet/dry caves and sooo much more.
                      Flickr set

Go holo holo kauai li'dat!

Comment

I'm glad you had a great trip, and Happy 20th Anniversary to both of you!!!
                        Loved all the photos too. Especially the look on her face in the photo with her head on your shoulder on the airplane over there.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                          I'm glad you had a great trip, and Happy 20th Anniversary to both of you!!!
                          Loved all the photos too. Especially the look on her face in the photo with her head on your shoulder on the airplane over there.
                          Yeah, I love that shot too! A real happy satisfied look.
                          Cue music: Love will keep us together...

Comment

I'm reasonably sure the property will be resurrected in some way, shape or form. The big question is will it be restored to it's previous incarnation: a charming village with individual, thatched hales, winding dirt paths lit by torches, a beautiful lagoon with various fauna. And, most important, a return of the wonderful staff who have all been laid off. IOW, the previous ambiance. There's a Save Kona Village page on Facebook. That group has chosen a "board of directors" who e-meet regularly with the hopes of influencing the owners of the property. We want the OLD Kona Village back!
                            Well, the King Kamehameha Hotel is new and improved after last year's tsunami. Rich in History - The Courtyard King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel sits on the grounds where Hawaii's most famous King ruled.

But after the waves died down, on the morning of March 11th, 2011 the hotel was again being added to the history books.

And what a difference a year makes, not only did the hotel change its name, they spent $45million fixing up the walk way, adding new sand at their beach, landscaping, new carpets you name it.

http://www.khon2.com/content/news/ed...WpS4w5gnQ.cspx

Comment

There is a chance that the hotel grounds are situated on the former
                              Heiau for Honu , the turtle.
                              Early on, blasting of explosives obscured the history of Kona and
                              it's earlier topography.
                              Tracking the paper trail will nail this mystery.

Comment

Working...
                              X