Who Should Be Obama’s VP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Should Be Obama’s VP?

Please be sure to comment on your selection, after voting.
    Bill Richardson (NM Governor)
    26.32%
    Wesley Clark (Ret. General)
    0.00%
    John Edwards (Fmr. Senator)
    10.53%
    Hillary Clinton (Fmr. First Lady)
    26.32%
    Chris Dodd (CT Senator)
    0.00%
    Sam Nunn (Fmr. Senator)
    0.00%
    Claire McCaskill (MO Senator)
    0.00%
    Kathleen Sebelius (KS Governor)
    10.53%
    Tim Kaine (VA Governor)
    0.00%
    Other (Al Gore, Chuck Hagel, etc.)
    26.32%

The poll is expired.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Re: Who Should Be Obama’s VP?

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
    Please be sure to comment on your selection, after voting.
    You forgot to comment.
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

And at this point, only one of the three of us has voted. That may change by the time someone else reads this.

Comment

I find it interesting that in describing Mrs. Clinton, you call her the former first lady, and not the two-term senator from New York.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
          in describing Mrs. Clinton, you call her the former first lady
          Sorry, Scrivener. I was trying to describe each potential candidate in a way that most people recognize him/her. It’s true that most Hillary fans are aware she is a junior senator from New York. But IMHO nationwide, most people still see her as “former First Lady.”

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
          11 March 1993

Comment

No apology needed. I figured that was what you were thinking.

I reluctantly voted here for Hillary Clinton. I say "reluctantly" because I am still super super super super annoyed that she didn't win her party's nomination. People keep saying that she proved there is no longer a glass ceiling; I say that her NEARLY winning the nomination but still LOSING it is evidence that the glass ceiling is still there. Until someone breaks THROUGH the glass ceiling, it is still there.

Clinton's wording of the situation, in which she says she put eighteen thousand cracks in the glass ceiling, is a lot more accurate. Accepting the vice-presidential spot on the ticket is not going to break through anything unless the Democrats win (which I imagine is nearly a lock). Sure. Fine. But in this country, we're already used to the idea of women being second-in-command. I am not disregarding the significance of a Black man possibly being elected to the Presidency; however, I think we could have taken ENORMOUS steps forward as a nation if we'd elected a woman President.

So whatever. I lost this one. I'll take the Vice-Presidency, but I'm not happy.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

previous posts dotted throughout the HT landscape are more than enough commentary as to why i prefer sen. clinton as obama's vp.

*points to signature*
              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

There are a lot of qualified people here, but my choice is Kathleen Sebelius.

She flipped a red state to blue, and has been a good governor for Kansas. Obama needs someone with executive experience, and I believe Sebelius' experience stands for quality.

She also attended the annual Bilderberg Group meeting last year, so you know she's going places

I'd also be happy with Bill Richardson or Wesley Clark. (the latter has no executive experience that I'm aware of, but military credentials are also good)
                Last edited by Vanguard; July 15, 2008, 02:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
                  She also attended the annual Bilderberg Group meeting last year, so you know she's going places
                  Hmmm...you parade this fact like a badge of honor. I see it as a mark of shame. Looking at my signature, you probably already knew that. But it doesn’t mean she wouldn’t make a great VP.

I'd also be happy with Bill Richardson or Wesley Clark. (the latter has no executive experience that I'm aware of, but military credentials are also good)
                  Wesley Clark is a retired 4-star general. So I don’t understand what you mean by “no executive experience.” He was the commanding general in the Battle of Kosovo. How much more executive can you get then that?

USA TODAY, page 2A
                  11 March 1993

Comment

Bill Richardson or John Edwards.

Edwards could have beaten The Idiot last go round. Dems chose Kerry instead. He still polls well among right voters.

Richardson gives Obama some "street cred" in the halls of DC. Brings the Hispanic vote on board. Has lots of great experience. And a good face of hair.

Clinton virtually guarantees a McCain win, according to every poll you can find.

I chose BR in this poll.
                    FutureNewsNetwork.com
                    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Hmmm...you parade this fact like a badge of honor. I see it as a mark of shame. Looking at my signature, you probably already knew that. But it doesn’t mean she wouldn’t make a great VP.
                      That was not my intention. But I believe when things like this come into play, getting into higher office or advantage is quite inevitable, until the majority decides that we have had enough. My dream VP candidate? Dennis Kucinich. But I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen until the tide changes in America. It almost guarantees a McBush White House.

Wesley Clark is a retired 4-star general. So I don’t understand what you mean by “no executive experience.” He was the commanding general in the Battle of Kosovo. How much more executive can you get then that?
                      Someone who is accustomed to balancing civilian budgets, for one. Presidents, Governors, and Mayors have that experience. I apologize for being vague.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                        unless the Democrats win (which I imagine is nearly a lock).
                        I wish I were as certain as you, Scrivener. Democrats were fooled into complacently thinking we could beat Bush in 2004 and ended up with a flimsy candidate. We can't afford to do that again.
                        Originally posted by timkona View Post
                        Edwards could have beaten The Idiot last go round.
                        I have to agree with you here, Tim.

I've already stated in other threads that I'm comfortable with Richardson - but this poll is going to make me investigate some of the other options more fully.

Comment

Someone who is accustomed to balancing civilian budgets, for one. Presidents, Governors, and Mayors have that experience. I apologize for being vague.
                          No apology needed. But I have to disagree that Presidents, Governors, Mayors... or even university presidents necessarily have that experience. Most, if not all of them rely on their budget or managing director (the equivalent of a CFO in the business world) to balance the budget.

At least if we go by your definition, we’ve narrowed down the eligible candidates to the handful of governors under consideration.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                          11 March 1993

Comment

If it were a truly forecasted runaway win for BO I'd like to see Hill get the VP slot, but I'm not into even close calls this time. The '04 election was the tipping point for this country, and now we are sliding quickly into the abyss, which will take way more than BO and company to pull us out to any sufficient degree.
                            At this point, I select Jesse Ventura as VP, and his first job is to body slam BO for his support of Bush's FISA BS. 2nd job, chase down Bush/Cheney/Rove, de-bone and do 'em up like a turducken. 3rd job, bring back the boa.
                            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

There are a lot of qualified people here, but my choice is Kathleen Sebelius.

She flipped a red state to blue, and has been a good governor for Kansas. Obama needs someone with executive experience, and I believe Sebelius' experience stands for quality.

I picked Kathleen Sebelius as well for all the reasons you stated.

I remember watching her "America's response" to the State of the Union earlier this year and just thinking, "WOW."
                              Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                              We're not here to mess around
                              Boston, you know we love you madly
                              Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                              Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                              You know we couldn't live without you
                              Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Working...
                              X