Be Careful When Riding "The Bus"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Be Careful When Riding "The Bus"

As I watch this thread, I can only think... have we, as a society, sunk to such levels that a robbery can openly take place on a bus, and nobody does a thing? And, have we become so alien to, and afraid of, other people in our neighborhoods and towns that we feel we must hunker down alone in our cars to avoid contact with other humans?

Strange stuff. Strange stuff, indeed.

Comment

Dick your opinion as well as the others are so noted.

In the case of air travel, there isn't much choice for the public unless they could own and fly their own planes. Most can't as you well know and if we need to go to another place (especially in Hawaii), flying is the only practical choice.

There are certainly risks when the public flies. You put all of your trust into the safety record of the airline you are flying on and the aircraft that it flies. The risk of terrorism is great on the airlines, hence the increased security the public has to go through everytime they fly.

Perhaps the kind of security measures used for airlines need to be applied to mass transit systems. I remember hearing the call for more security after trains were bombed in Spain and England. Of course transit planners don't want any of this because it would reduce the value of mass transit since it would slow commute times.

Just like the fact that govenments allow a double standard on the roads... all passengers (in Hawaii) travelling in personal vehicles must use seatbelts. Passengers in mass transit have no seat belt requirements and are allowed to be packed in like sardines to a point where many have to stand. To me that is also not very safe if a mass transit vehicle crashes.

I wonder how many lives could be saved on busses or trains that crash if there were a seatbelt requirement?

On the road we have the choice to choose between our personal vehicles and mass transit. So far most people choose their own vehicles.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by dick View Post
        As I watch this thread, I can only think... have we, as a society, sunk to such levels that a robbery can openly take place on a bus, and nobody does a thing? And, have we become so alien to, and afraid of, other people in our neighborhoods and towns that we feel we must hunker down alone in our cars to avoid contact with other humans?

Strange stuff. Strange stuff, indeed.
        Not me! I fight back! It's a shame when others don't give a damn. I feel outraged reading what happened to your nephew. I feel he should report it. Better yet, I'll call "The Bus" and let them know that the incident occurred. It is only right they know.

What Dick is saying is the awful truth. But it doesn't have to be this way. Don't be afraid. Gosh! Remember...we live in America. Men and Women are dying everyday so we can live in FREEDOM not in FEAR!!!

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

So if the bus was on a federally funded highway or at the airport when the robbery occured, would it then be considered a felony?
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
            Not me! I fight back! It's a shame when others don't give a damn. I feel outraged reading what happened to your nephew. I feel he should report it. Better yet, I'll call "The Bus" and let them know that the incident occurred. It is only right they know.

What Dick is saying is the awful truth. But it doesn't have to be this way. Don't be afraid. Gosh! Remember...we live in America. Men and Women are dying everyday so we can live in FREEDOM not in FEAR!!!

Auntie Lynn
            Lynn,

I agree that he SHOULD report it, but he's not ready yet to do so. If he hadn't been in a daze from the punch in the face, maybe he would have fought back by chasing the guy. My nephew is long and lanky (6'2, 160) and the assailant was about 100 lbs. heavier.

God Bless those that fight for our freedoms. And the thugs better roast in hell!

Comment

Originally posted by alohacandy View Post
              Lynn,

I agree that he SHOULD report it, but he's not ready yet to do so. If he hadn't been in a daze from the punch in the face, maybe he would have fought back by chasing the guy. My nephew is long and lanky (6'2, 160) and the assailant was about 100 lbs. heavier.

God Bless those that fight for our freedoms. And the thugs better roast in hell!
              I didn't have the exact date, time, etc. The main thing, I had the information you shared. To me it was enough. I submitted a report.

Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                I didn't have the exact date, time, etc. The main thing, I had the information you shared. To me it was enough. I submitted a report. Lynn
                Auntie, you are to be commended, because you stepped in to help the boy when his own parents would do nothing. The parents could have made a complaint about how the assaults were handled to the Chief of Police (which is different than making a report of a crime), complained to the Mayor's office, and to TheBus ..... by letter, phone or email. But is sounds as if they have a list of excuses why it is inconvenient for them.

Auntie Lynn = 1 point
                Kid's parents = zero

Comment

Originally posted by SouthKona View Post
                  Auntie, you are to be commended, because you stepped in to help the boy when his own parents would do nothing. The parents could have made a complaint about how the assaults were handled to the Chief of Police (which is different than making a report of a crime), complained to the Mayor's office, and to TheBus ..... by letter, phone or email. But is sounds as if they have a list of excuses why it is inconvenient for them.

Auntie Lynn = 1 point
                  Kid's parents = zero

Thanks to Lynn for the report.
                  My sis told me today that she made a report to someone who is the head of The Bus Customer Service. He was going to try to find out which Bus it occurred on by the info she was able to give him.

Comment

Alohacandy, that is great! Main thing is that the there are improvements in the SYSTEM so that further incidents of mishandling by TheBus and/or police do not occur - to anyone!

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
                      And as for getting to work everyday: walk. Too many nasty auto accidents so cars are not an option. Not to mention the environmental harm they cause. And mass transit is too dangerous! Too far to walk? Too bad. Find another job.
                      I think that driving tests should be tougher. Maybe have everyone take a mandatory driving test every few years. As I drive around, I am astounded by how bad some people drive. Those people who, as soon as the light turns green, turn accross you as you start to go, people who force their car into your lane to merge, when theres no cars behind you, people who dont know how to merge. also, blinkers exist for a reason!
                      In another post I suggested we raise the driving age.

I also am willing to bet that if rail becomes a reality I bet there will be an increased tax on cars to try to get more people to use the rail/buses, if the price of gasoline doesnt do it.
                      Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
                        I also am willing to bet that if rail becomes a reality I bet there will be an increased tax on cars to try to get more people to use the rail/buses, if the price of gasoline doesnt do it.
                        I'm sure that is what all the rail supporters want. They want to force us out of our cars. I hope you and all the other rail supporters celebrate in having more money taken away from your pockets to support this huge boondoggle.

Remember in 2007 the GE Tax is going up and so are property taxes, the GE on gasoline (being re-implemented).... what else? When will the madness stop?

I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
                          I think that driving tests should be tougher.
                          [...]In another post I suggested we raise the driving age.[...]
                          Many, many posts ago I stated my view on driving. That is, a teen who has passed stringent testing receives his/her driver's license along with his/her high school diploma at graduation. The license shouldn't be effective 'til 2 days after graduation (and all the parties!). No diploma...no driver's license.

My dentist and I recently discussed this topic and his idea is to give the test in English only as all the street and highway signs are in English only. IOW, foreign residents must have a basic understanding of our language to be able to drive.

Making the priviledge of driving tougher, including for the elderly, just might cut back on accidents, not to mention traffic.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                            My dentist and I recently discussed this topic and his idea is to give the test in English only as all the street and highway signs are in English only. IOW, foreign residents must have a basic understanding of our language to be able to drive.
                            Except I seem to recall that now all new streets in Hawaii (or C&C of Honolulu) must be named a Hawaiian name ... am I right about this, anyone know?

Comment

Originally posted by SouthKona View Post
                              Except I seem to recall that now all new streets in Hawaii (or C&C of Honolulu) must be named a Hawaiian name ... am I right about this, anyone know?
                              It was a city ordinance for new streets in the City of Honolulu.

Comment

It was great seeing today AlohaCandy! Wow! You look TERRIFIC!

Lynn

Comment

Working...
                                X