A-Express buses to have wifi for a month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A-Express buses to have wifi for a month

Starting April 3 to May 5th or so (forgot the exact date) some Route A "Etransit buses" (those hybrids) will have wifi access for a pilot program.
    -----------------------------------
    I saw the flyer at the Express's bus stop at the Waipahu Transit Center this morning.

So, let me get this straight: on certain Route A etransit buses, it'll have wireless internet. Will it have a certain coverage? Can people get wifi when a express bus pass by? This makes me wish I had a laptop.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: A-Express buses to have wifi for a month

Just FYI, Adrian, there is a intercity bus company, operating small, luxery buses between Boston and New York City that offers Wi-Fi the entire distance traveled between the two cities. I can get you the name of the company if you are interested; I have some info on them back home if you might be interested in learning more about them. I believe they use a Wi-Fi hook-up developed by KVH Industries of Middletown, RI...this company also provides Wi-Fi hook-ups for all the luxery yachts that are built in abundance in this part of the world.

I know that this doesn't answer your questions about the Wi-Fi on TheBus, but I thought you, being the high-tech kind of guy you are, might like to hear about this.
    Last edited by Surfingfarmboy; March 27, 2006, 09:14 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Fascinating. I wonder if it's true Wi-Fi, or if it's actually part of the restricted system they announced earlier where you could get free Internet access... to city websites.

Comment

I just check TheBus web site, it didn't mention at all about the wifi but I did notice that entire site has been re-done.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
          I just check TheBus web site, it didn't mention at all about the wifi but I did notice that entire site has been re-done.
          Yeah, I noticed that also.

I'll try to take a picture of the flyer at the bus stop tomorrow.

Comment

I managed to take a picture of one of the advertisements in TheBus (the etransit - which was filled with flyers with the free wifi access). For those who can't read the bottom, its being "powered by sprint".

Comment

I dunno whether having WiFi on TheBus would induce riders to bring laptops with them to surf the web while going to work or school. But definitely, I could see some kid pulling out his Nintendo DS and logging on for a quick online game.

Comment

So, anyone tested the service out?

Ever since the beginning of the month, I didn't ride on any etransit buses, and if I did, then I couldn't go online because I don't have a wifi card for my laptop.

Comment

I don't even have a laptop.

Comment

I tested my wifi card on the bus a few days ago, and when I ran a test, I got 5mbps! I would have tested the speed by downloading torrents if I had more hard drive space and if my screen didn't keep on falling back and fourth when we hit a bump (plus not to mention people kept on looking over my shoulder and reading what was on the screen - dang 14" screen)

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
                      I tested my wifi card on the bus a few days ago, and when I ran a test, I got 5mbps! I would have tested the speed by downloading torrents if I had more hard drive space and if my screen didn't keep on falling back and fourth when we hit a bump (plus not to mention people kept on looking over my shoulder and reading what was on the screen - dang 14" screen)
                      That's another reason not to do anything on your laptop in one of those public spaces that you don't want hacked. It used to be that phone phreaks would "shoulder surf" at pay phones in airports to get your credit card info. Now they don't even need sniffers...they can just "shoulder surf" as you're sitting at an internet cafe (or on the bus!) to get that same info.

Miulang

BTW: I learned a couple of weeks ago in my Contract Law class (which included a lecture on privacy, libel/slander/defamation) that cell phone conversations are not considered private, which means anybody can legally listen in on your calls. Landline phone conversations used to be deemed private by law, but now with landline phones being connected via VOIP for most calls, I think all bets are off, and that may be how the White House and Alberto Gonzales can claim that wiretapping phone conversations whether on cellphone or landline are no longer protected under privacy rules.
                      Last edited by Miulang; April 11, 2006, 09:00 PM.
                      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Okay, one thing I learned from having internet access on the bus all week, is that if there's another "etransit" bus nearby (at the transit center, zipping by in the next lane, or in the opposite lane) then the wireless connection will drop. I've solved it by having the command prompt always up and just do an ipconfig/renew everytime that happens. Sometimes though, it won't respond until you're a few yards away from the other bus, or in another vacinity.

Comment

Perhaps for bus use, it may be more practical to use a smaller wireless device like the previously mentioned Nintendo, PSP or some kind of PDA / cellphone device. I can't imagine anyone doing anything serious while connected to wifi on the bus which is moving with people peering over you or you even standing up. Not very practical with a laptop.
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                          X