"Remember me?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Remember me?"

I have always been curious what this checkbox does, and have not found an explanation in 'Help,' but perhaps I'm slow or inattentive (you should see me in a grocery store!).

Any simple explanations for brain damaged combat veterans?
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Re: "Remember me?"

It usually tells your computer to "remember" your login, so you don't have to manually log in to that specific website every time.

Comment

If the box is checked, then the next time you come to the website, it will automatically log you in.

If you uncheck the box, you can come to the website, but not be logged in yet. You will have to manually log in.

The difference? One is that when you are logged in, the ignore feature is functioning. Which is why I try to remember to log in on visits. I want to be able to view all the threads and new posts, but not be distracted by those I choose to ignore.
      Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Please bear in mind that the entity doing the remembering is not HawaiiThreads but the browser you are using at the time is doing that function. It is sort of like this:
        • computer
        • account on that computer
        • browser in use
        • what URL you are using to access HawaiiThreads

Change any of the above and it would seem to you that the darn thing is not remembering you.

The point about what URL you are using to access HawaiiThreads. You can either type in hawaiithreads.com or www.hawaiithreads.com to access this website but if you click on the Remember Me? for hawaiithreads.com it will remember that but will not remember if you use www.hawaiithreads.com unless you click on the Remember Me? box for that addess.

Comment

My problem with this concerns which of my names is wanted. During the log in negotiation, apparently the site asks my (Firefox) what my name is, but it may ask for one of several different specific things -- what my email address is, what my userid is, what my login name is, or other things I haven't figured out. I have a Firefox extension that allows me to examine and modify what information is automatically supplied by my browser, but that won't work for some web sites, because I can't tell what exactly the site will ask the browser. Another problem is that sites may tell the browser not to supply any password automatically, forcing you to type it in manually (but there is a Firefox extension to cancel the effect of that instruction from the site).
          Greg

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
            Please bear in mind that the entity doing the remembering is not HawaiiThreads but the browser you are using at the time is doing that function. It is sort of like this:
            • computer
            • account on that computer
            • browser in use
            • what URL you are using to access HawaiiThreads

Change any of the above and it would seem to you that the darn thing is not remembering you.

Oh, I'd love it, but for some reason in never remembers me.
            I've used Internet Explorer on my PC, and Safari on my iPad; my road runner account and both www. and hawaiithreads.com, but no luck, no automatic remembering....
            I'd love to avoid the extra typing (since my hands don't work too well), but somehow I'm missing something.
            From my PC I could type in "K" and I'd get a drop down I could click on and automatic remembering of my password, but I thought that was a Windows function.

Thanks, all. I guess I had it somewhat with windows, but lost it in Apple.
            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
            ~ ~
            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Working...
            X