Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OTW to drop KITV?

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
    Does the KITV news team still need to go to work?
    Yes, they are doing all of their newscasts as normal. I am watching the live news stream at their website. Morning news, 5pm, 6pm and 10pm news all stream live online.

The shutout of KITV is just part of a systemwide blackout on many Time Warner Cable systems throughout the nation.

Hawaii KITV-ABC
    Boston WCVB-ABC
    Portland ME WMTW-ABC
    Hartford VT WNNE-NBC
    Plattsburgh NY WPTZ-NBC
    Plattsburgh NY WPTZ-D2 –This TV
    Winston-Salem NC WXII-NBC
    Kansas City MO KCWE-CW
    Kansas City MO KMBC-ABC
    Lincoln NE KETV-ABC
    Louisville KY WLKY-CBS
    Cincinnati OH WLWT-NBC
    Pittsburgh PA
    Manchester NH WTAE-ABC
    WMUR-ABC
    Last edited by mel; July 11, 2012, 06:25 AM. Reason: added link
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
      History tells us that you can never be so sure about local stations and cable/satellite providers always getting along with each other. Once upon a time, Oceanic customers did not get KGMB in HD. And a few years before that, Dish Network subscribers had to make due with no KHNL & KFVE.
      Presently, DirectTV is battling it out with Viacom, too: http://venturebeat.com/2012/07/11/viacom-vs-directv/

Comment

OTM is airing the Hallmark Movie Channel in place of KITV!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
          Presently, DirectTV is battling it out with Viacom, too: http://venturebeat.com/2012/07/11/viacom-vs-directv/
          Thanks for illustrating my point, Leo. People who impulsively jump from cable to satellite over this TWC vs. Hearst brouhaha will find that DirecTV and Dish also periodically play this game of blacking out channels whenever carriage rights negotiations go sour with different networks. It's simply something that cannot be escaped from.

How this situation plays out will be interesting. Normally in many communities, its the programming provider that exercises a lot of leverage over the cable TV operator. But in this case, Oceanic has a very high market penetration. Better believe that KITV's ad revenue is taking a beating during this current blackout. Despite all the criticism and cancellation threats that are being written against Oceanic over the net, I think KITV has a lot more to lose as this dispute drags on.

What exactly is KITV's leverage in this affair?

ABC network programming? The bulk of it can be viewed over the internet.

Football broadcasts? ABC no longer televises any NFL games. And while ABC offers college football games, so will a dozen of other OTA/cable channels be doing the same this fall. Even the most demanding fan who wants to watch a particular ABC network game can likely find it streaming over the net on ESPN 3.

My observation? KITV is heading into this battle against OTW with a dull knife.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

KITV might as well go on Sirius Radio. You become forgotten and irrelevant when you're not seen.

Comment

My observation? KITV is heading into this battle against OTW with a dull knife.
              It's not a battle between KITV and OTW. Nobody in Hawaii can do anything to get the KITV signal back on OTW... without getting fired.

If anything KITV is a casualty in a fight between Hearst and TWC.

The battle between content providers and distributors(cable/satellite), sometimes its the providers pulling their signal, other times its the distributors blocking it. There are obviously differing statements about this from Hearst and TWC.

If you're looking for any leverage Hearst might have, you might consider their NBC stations and the Olympics. But according to the link mel provided, there are only 3 Hearst owned NBC stations affected by the blackout... and none of them are in major markets. The Boston station is ABC and there are other providers like Comcast in the area.
              Originally posted by mike
              scsdogg,
              You obviously are someone in the business and know what you are talking about.....

Comment

Originally posted by scsdogg View Post
                It's not a battle between KITV and OTW. Nobody in Hawaii can do anything to get the KITV signal back on OTW... without getting fired.

If anything KITV is a casualty in a fight between Hearst and TWC.
                Everything that you say here is true enough. I was just using KITV/Hearst and Oceanic/Time Warner interchangeably as I was merely focusing on the battleground here.

The "battle" in Hawaii is, indeed, part of a larger war being waged between Hearst and TWC.
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

An NPR blog's take on these battles:
                  http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2...rriage-dispute

Comment

You can watch the British Open on ESPN instead of ABC.

Comment

I just got a call. KITV was restored on Oceanic about half an hour ago.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Hip, hip, hooray!

Did anyone miss anything?

Comment

Who won?
                          What was the under/over number of days?

Comment

Who won?
                            Actually, the better question is: Who lost? It's the consumers. If Hearst TV got Time Warner to cry uncle and made the cable operator pay up the requested increase, it will all eventually be passed on to cable customers.

Hearst/KITV tried really, REALLY hard to get cable customers to sympathize with them. Part of that effort was the propaganda info disseminated on a webpages like I Want My KITV Back.

Why does Oceanic Time Warner need an agreement to include your station in my cable lineup?

In the word [sic] of broadcasting, cable companies like Oceanic TimeWarner pay television stations fees to carry their signals. Every few years, these agreements come up for renegotiation. TimeWarner refuses to pay fees for our programming, comparable to what other cable providers pay to stations like ours. The fees we seek are just pennies a day, but they're necessary to ensure we continue to provide popular programming and valuable news and weather to viewers in Hawaii.
                            Just "pennies" a day, huh? Well, they add up. And the thing is, OTA viewers don't have to pay for this fee.

If this trend of local broadcast stations yanking their signals from cable operators continues, then sign me up for a petition asking Congress to reform the 1992 Cable Act.

American Television Alliance's explanation of the retransmission consent issue.

Comment

ESPN News isn't on Channel 23 anymore.
                              In its latest "agreements with programmers" notice, Oceanic has announced that analog channel 23 will soon be the home of Time Warner SportsNet. This new network recently outbid Fox Sports West for the TV rights to Los Angeles Lakers games.

Oh, and added to the list of stations where "agreements are due to expire soon" are:

CW
                              KHON/KHAW
                              KAII Digital
                              KHON/KHAW/KAII HD
                              Sigh! Here we go again. I don't care what kind of PR spin KHON's ownership utilizes. If they blackout their signal to Oceanic customers during football season, they better be prepared for some fallout, like maybe a flaming bag of dog poop being hurled at the front entrance of Hawaiki Tower.

Comment

Sigh! Here we go again. I don't care what kind of PR spin KHON's ownership utilizes. If they blackout their signal to Oceanic customers during football season, they better be prepared for some fallout, like maybe a flaming bag of dog poop being hurled at the front entrance of Hawaiki Tower.
                                I would blame Joe Moore as the Athletic Director of KHON.

Comment

Working...
                                X