Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Another bus fare hike coming

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    But I do know Austin runs their comparatively sized city bus service for free.
    Austin's service isn't free:
    Capital MetroBus - $1.00
    UT Shuttles - $1.00
    Capital MetroExpress - $2.50
    Capital MetroRail 1-Zone - $2.00
    Capital MetroRail All Zones - $3.00

Here in Seattle, it's also based on zones and times of day:
    Metro Adult (age 19-64) Two-zone Peak: $2.75
    Metro Adult (age 19-64) One-zone Peak: $2.25
    Metro Adult One- and Two-zone (age 19-64) Off-peak: $2

Comment

The Hele On bus here on the Big Island is still free (so far), but the service is nowhere near what TheBus is like. It's more for rural folk trying to get into town. No town stops except at the depots.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
        Austin's service isn't free
        Thanx for the tip. Did you happen to notice when they started the charge?
        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Thanx for the tip. Did you happen to notice when they started the charge?
          No, but I think it's been a few years, because it's been hiked once or twice in the 2000's. When Capital Metro first started, though (in 1985), it was funded through a voter-approved 1% sales tax, rather than fares.

Comment

But I do know Austin runs their comparatively sized city bus service for free.
            Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
            The Hele On bus here on the Big Island is still free (so far), but the service is nowhere near what TheBus is like..
            There's no such thing as free bus service. There's public transportation systems out there that offer "zero-fare" to some or all passengers. But who's kidding who here??? It ain't free. The fuel, maintenance, and operator salaries have to be for by somebody, right? In the case of the Hele-On bus, the funding came through congressional earmarks obtained by Senator Inouye. Other systems get their funding through local/state taxes.
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Bus fares are scheduled to increase again on July 1. The City Council passed a two-year rate plan with last year's budget. Single cash fare will go from $2.25 to $2.50 and monthly bus passes from $50 to $60.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                There's no such thing as free bus service. There's public transportation systems out there that offer "zero-fare" to some or all passengers. But who's kidding who here??? It ain't free. The fuel, maintenance, and operator salaries have to be for by somebody, right? In the case of the Hele-On bus, the funding came through congressional earmarks obtained by Senator Inouye. Other systems get their funding through local/state taxes.
                Come on FM we're talking Bus Fares here!!! AND ONLY BUS FARES!

The Hele On Bus Fare is FREE as in FARRRREEEEEE!

Comment

I think he is trying to say that it is free for passengers, but it's not a free service as there are costs involved in order to provide the rides to passengers.
                  "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                  – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                    I think he is trying to say that it is free for passengers, but it's not a free service as there are costs involved in order to provide the rides to passengers.
                    I know that...nothing in life is really free, BUT we're talking bus fares, not some subsidy support by taxpayers. If we wanted to expand this discussion to taxes well I suggest we invite Bobinator and Mel to chime in on tax increases and how the government needs to reduce it's footprint in our lives.

But this is about end users and some of them aren't taxpayers so for them the net effect is that it is in fact very much free.

Comment

Come on FM we're talking Bus Fares here!!! AND ONLY BUS FARES!
                      Fine. You can just focus your thoughts on "ONLY BUS FARES." But I'll choose to be cognizant of the simple truth that all public bus systems have costs that need to be paid for with funding/revenue sources, whether it be through taxes and/or bus fares.

Why do you think city and school bus fare increases are levied? Just as a way for the folks in charge to be "darn mean" to people? GMAB. Fuel prices have been on the rise. The increased costs of keeping the buses running need to be paid for, someway and somehow. That reality doesn't miraculously disappear by shutting your eyes, tapping the heels of your shoes, and intoning, "Where's my free lunch? Where's my free lunch?"

I know that...nothing in life is really free, BUT we're talking bus fares, not some subsidy support by taxpayers. If we wanted to expand this discussion to taxes well I suggest we invite Bobinator and Mel to chime in on tax increases and how the government needs to reduce it's footprint in our lives.

But this is about end users and some of them aren't taxpayers so for them the net effect is that it is in fact very much free.
                      Wow. That's a rather cavalier attitude to have about the funding of a zero-fare bus system. It's definitely not something I would expect from a Republican. John McCain has made his mark by crusading against congressional earmarks, like the one that is being used to allow the Hele-On bus system to operate on a zero fare basis. Sarah Palin got on the same page with the McCain team during the '08 Presidential campaign when she kept talking about how she said "Thanks, but no thanks" to the federal funding that was going to be used for Alaska's "Bridge to Nowhere." It's the fiscal-conservatives who normally are vigilant about how taxpayer money is being spent.

But here, you profess to only focus on the bus passengers who enjoy zero-fare bus service, while glossing over the folks who, in fact, do have to shoulder the associated costs.

You may call yourself a Republican or anything else you want, Craig. But a fiscal conservative? You sure don't sound like one.
                      Last edited by Frankie's Market; May 23, 2010, 10:10 PM.
                      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Why can't I hear the AM stations on my walkman whiile riding in the new hybrid buses? I can't listen to ESPN 1420.

Comment

Our Isuzu Rodeo "Big Girl" has been taking a beating shuttling our family around Oahu. The best solution was for me to begin taking TheBus since I had the furthest commute. I didn't mind, in fact I felt as if I were contributing even more to my family by taking public transportation.

When I researched routes and fares, I was shocked! But, I do it because it's still cheaper than running Big Girl to the ground.

When I lived in Houston the Metro offered Zone fares and fortunately for a couple bucks I could travel and transfer on as many buses within a 24 hour period until I had to cough up more money. This meant, if I timed it right I could get 1.5 round trips to work before having to put more money in the meter.

Here's what Houston Metro fares are today:
                          Routes Fare Discounted Fare
                          Local / METRORail $1.25 $0.60
                          Park & Ride Zone 1 $2.00 $1.00
                          Park & Ride Zone 2 $3.25 $1.60
                          Park & Ride Zone 3 $3.75 $1.85
                          Park & Ride Zone 4 $4.50 $2.25
                          and a Metro card that you can add your own amount too with these benefits:
                          METRO Q® Fare Card holders will enjoy a variety of benefits:

• Five free trips for every 50 paid trips*
                          • Faster boarding
                          • Free transfers (valid two hours in one direction)
                          • Balance is protected (when you register your card)
                          • 50 percent discounts for students, seniors, disabled and Medicare cardholders

Something TheBus could consider?
                          ___
                          "Be god to each other."

Comment

For us ol' fut seniors, The Bus one way fare is $1.00 when presenting a Senior Card or a valid Medicare Card. I had my Medicare card in my hand waiting for the driver to request a glimpse for verification. He didn't. WAAAAAAAAAH!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                              For us ol' fut seniors, The Bus one way fare is $1.00 when presenting a Senior Card or a valid Medicare Card. I had my Medicare card in my hand waiting for the driver to request a glimpse for verification. He didn't. WAAAAAAAAAH!!!
                              Did you use your Avatar picture on your Medicare card? No wonder he didn't want to see it!
                              Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                                Did you use your Avatar picture on your Medicare card? No wonder he didn't want to see it!
                                The driver didn't even ask to see my card! Guess I look like my avatar in person!

Comment

Working...
                                X