Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Na Mea Ho`ohau`oli > The Tube
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old February 8th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Ali`i

Thumbs down Least Favorite National TV Ads

Does anybody else detest that awful commercial for RoadRunner with teenybopper Vanessa Carlton singing "Time Is On My Side"? It's like some kind of water torture. Every time it comes on and I hear the first two notes of the song I lunge to hit the Mute button.
The first time I saw it I thought Vanessa's song was awful and thought it was perhaps a joke, like she was some instant reject from American Idol. Her voice is nasal and flat, and her piano playing is like something you'd hear at an elementary school recital.
Sorry to vent, but the commercial is just horrible.
Old February 8th, 2005, 04:40 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Horrible commercial

These past few weeks I have been watching the shows I want to watch via VCR, so whenever the commericals appear I just fast forwarding them.

Didn't notice the commerical you taking about but I know there is another one about Roadrunner and gaming. That too I have been fast forwarding whenever it comes up.
Old February 8th, 2005, 04:55 PM
Banned

Most of the time warner commercials are awkward and jezz plain bayuuud.

hate the Linsdey wagner comm. where she is answering the phone talking about the sleepnumber bed. halfway thru the commercial while taking to us, she goes;
Hi. I'm lindsey wagner.
What happened. did she go through a time warp?\

swiffer, where they describe to thers, and show up close, everything the wiper picks up.
yuk,

Last edited by kimo55; February 8th, 2005 at 05:34 PM.
Old February 8th, 2005, 06:27 PM
Ali`i

I just adore that commercial. Many times I can sing it and it start at the same time too...weird but everybody in the house just cracks up! Yep,"time is on my side...yes it is" Life is beautiful and although days can be filled with hate, ignorance, prejudice, ugliness, etc. Time dear friends is all we got to change it all! GOD BLESS ALL!
Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Old February 10th, 2005, 11:49 AM
Banned

More!
From the "very awkward gimmick" file. commercials that show us ad agencies have completely lost their mind and their imaginations, leading them to parrot each other;

The commercials where we see hundreds of people lining up across city streets. or country roads.

commercials featuring strange, dumb animated icons above or around people's heads. Or within frame.

Ad agencies! Can't live with em, can't kill em.
Old February 10th, 2005, 11:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen
about Roadrunner and gaming. That too I have been fast forwarding whenever it comes up.
Hate that one. Sorry eh, but da haole dude is unconvincing as an announcer. Need someone who has more presence.

btw:
the first kid he approaches was in alotta stuff a few years ago;
He was in a "let's talk story" local production series. One was the lemon tree billliard parlor, with Ray Bumatai.
Very cute piece.
Old February 10th, 2005, 12:09 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon

LikaNui, that ad grates on me too. I must confess to having once actually liked one of her overplayed singles, but overall, her voice is to thin and flat to be the basis of a "singing career." And the RoadRunner ad is awful. Didn't someone anywhere along the production chain notice that she sounded like a terminally ill waterfowl? The worst part is, it's composed so badly, I wasn't sure if she was going to sell me something like teeth whitener or a tampon or something.

I mean, what is she selling? Her CD, or Time Warner services, or what? And if it's the CD, who would buy it after hearing that?

As far as other bad national ads go? I keep a mental list! Specifically? KFC has been annoying me for a while now. And Overstock.com? Stupid ads, too.

Categorically? All jewelry ads, ads about diarrhea or gas or toenail fungus, ads featuring disembodied or talking body parts... Oh! And that whole large class of ads that rely on the "dads as incompetent boobs" as the punchline. (Or the even larger group of ads that presume all cleaning or cooking is done by women.)
Old February 10th, 2005, 12:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzarquon

Oh! And that whole large class of ads that rely on the "dads as incompetent boobs" as the punchline. (Or the even larger group of ads that presume all cleaning or cooking is done by women.)

Yea. and animated candy and gum.
stew peed.

Or the egocentric genre
"gitcher own box".
'me first and only' Ah dun share with any family member.
idiotic. What is this teaching kids?! (or even reinforcing to dimwitted adults?)

and that disgusting toenail animation. The gremlin lifts a toenail and... o too dusgusting to even think about.,
And the cambell's commercials;
that british twit;
Gwodunn Elleey utt.
"Try Key ayum bulls eeeyin sted."

I wanna slap him stupid!
Old February 10th, 2005, 07:58 PM
Kia`aina

My mom really hates that Carlton commercial. "Ugh, she sound so sick!" she says, heh. It didn't bother me until she mentioned it. Now I always notice when it's on and it's starting to get to me. Seems like it is on during every commercial break on every station now. It's almost worse than those Jamster phone commercials I see all the time.
Old February 11th, 2005, 12:23 PM
Ali`i

Gawd help me, but as of yesterday there's a second RoadRunner commercial with Vanessa Carlton and she's still singing her horrible version of "Time Is On My Side"!
Old February 11th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikaNui
Gawd help me, but as of yesterday there's a second RoadRunner commercial with Vanessa Carlton and she's still singing her horrible version of "Time Is On My Side"!
Yes it is...Have a wonderful weekend everyone! "TIME IS ON YOUR SIDE"!
Old February 11th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Ali`i

Haha I like that rendition! I don't know who the singer is (well now I do) but the first time I heard it ... I liked it. Maybe they play it too much.

But yeah that RR gaming commercial gotta go.

Hmmm good subject. The ones that come to mind for me are the WaterPark ones and the Support UH Athletics (remember the couple sitting at the table then doing the wave?) ones... all of those to me are pretty bad.
Old February 11th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Ali`i

I'm sorry, but the only version of "Time Is On My Side" that should be heard is the Stones. The ad's annoying enough, but every time I see/hear that thin voice singing(?) those lyrics...

For one thing, it's meant to have a terrible world-weariness about it, and she's not old enough.
Old February 11th, 2005, 04:40 PM
Banned

gettin tired of that cell phone comm. with catherine zeta jones
she tells us
get moe....
toke whenever....
Old February 11th, 2005, 07:03 PM
Luna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkmeister
I'm sorry, but the only version of "Time Is On My Side" that should be heard is the Stones. The ad's annoying enough, but every time I see/hear that thin voice singing(?) those lyrics...

For one thing, it's meant to have a terrible world-weariness about it, and she's not old enough.

The original version by Erma Franklin (Aretha's sister) is worth hearing as well.
Old February 11th, 2005, 11:35 PM
Kanaka

Send a message via ICQ to malia
Thumbs down Re: Horrible commercial

Quote:
Originally Posted by cezanne
Maybe they play it too much.
They do play it too much! Just yesterday on FOX, they had that "Time on My Side" commercial...then the P Diddy Diet Pepsi commercial...then, they played that same "Time on My Side" commercial again!!! Twice in a minute and a half!!! Even my little one was "Not again!" heeheehee
Old February 12th, 2005, 04:25 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkmeister
You got a point there. I just saw it again and this time it shows the singer... yeah she's just a kid.
Old February 12th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cezanne
You got a point there. I just saw it again and this time it shows the singer... yeah she's just a kid.

the whole commercial is fulla giddy lil teenage girls. maybe this is their market.
The singer, (never heard of her before, and don't care to again...) has a whiney thin voice. Anything will sell nowadays I suppose.
Old February 12th, 2005, 04:56 PM
Ali`i

I told you that I just adore this commercial and I like singing it everytime it comes on which is all the time...well, my 80 yrs. old MAMA finally couldn't take it. She usually doesn't say anything negative, or shout at me...she told me, "SHUT-UP,SHUT-UP!" That song is driving me CRAZY! I wen jump so high my salad wen go all ova. I ain't going to even hum them f**** notes.
Old April 5th, 2005, 02:34 AM
Banned

another horrible commercial:
eharmony :

This is one of those that ya just can't relate to. At least i hope you don't.
After seeing it, I say; "I don't wanna end up like ANY one of those dimwitted syrupy chumps!"
...you know that commercial where that strange dude goes on glowingly about all these couples ending happily ever etc. and then we see a buncha couples right outta kmart central casting acting basically exactly the same.
One girl's line is just this: "...and then he said the words: 'I luuuuvv yew', and then that's when... I knew!"
knew what; that he loved you?

and another girl:
"...we have seewww much in cahm MiiiiiEEEN!"
and the the look on her face at the last moment, like:
"EEEEE a mouse!"

depressing thing is; this site stands to make millions.

Last edited by kimo55; April 5th, 2005 at 02:36 AM.
Old April 5th, 2005, 04:32 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to scrivener Send a message via Yahoo to scrivener

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimo55
another horrible commercial:
eharmony
I like that commercial. The people on it seem like nice people and they seem sincere. That's rare to find in commercials like this. Plus, I'm a lonely, single, mid-thirties professional who lives alone, so it strikes a note.
Old April 5th, 2005, 05:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrivener
I like that commercial. The people on it seem like nice people and they seem sincere. That's rare to find in commercials like this. Plus, I'm a lonely, single, mid-thirties professional who lives alone, so it strikes a note.

nooo, dude. they are fake. white bread christie minstrel types.
EeeeHarm has a rep for having a heavy Christian, anti-gay focus.
Old April 5th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to scrivener Send a message via Yahoo to scrivener

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimo55
nooo, dude. they are fake. white bread christie minstrel types.
EeeeHarm has a rep for having a heavy Christian, anti-gay focus.
Well. I'm heavy. I'm a Christian. That's two-thirds of the target
Old April 5th, 2005, 01:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrivener
Well. I'm heavy. I'm a Christian. That's two-thirds of the target

you ain't heavy, you mah bruddah!

akshuly, when I say heavy christian, I mean to an exclusionary level. and that ain't a very christianlike thing to do.
Old April 5th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon

I think the eHarmony ads (they do radio too) are just right for what they're sellling.

Hell, there are dozens of matchmaking sites out there, many of them quite huge (besides eHarmony, I think Match.com and Yahoo! Personals are the most commonly cited). So, while some sites might differentiate themselves as, say, the place for satan-worshipping vegetarian furries to find dates, eHarmony is going for the "discerning, wholesome single person" demographic.

Their whole business is modeled around their detailed profiled matching thingamagig, and whether or not they intended it to turn out the way it did, I wouldn't be surprised if conservative white upper-class Christians turned out to be the most enamoured of the ability to... well, filter out others.

If you don't like the people eHarmony wants to attract (thus the people in the ads), don't go there. Even you seem to agree that the people in the ads are representative of the user base... so your issue seems more with the people, not the ads.