Everything Shave Ice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everything Shave Ice

While there was some shave ice discussion as part of one of Scrivener's great "This or That" prompt threads, I figured this local favorite deserved its own conversation.

Where do you go for your shave ice fix? Matsumoto's? Aoki's? Waiola? What are your favorite flavors? Li hing? Pineapple? Basic strawberry? How do you take it? Plain? With azuki? With ice cream?

Got a craving for some, and will probably head out tomorrow to treat the family!

Re: Everything Shave Ice

Waiola. Half grape, half lemon-lime, with azuki beans and ice cream on the bottom.

Comment

just a simple guy; usually, it's root beer and banana at waiola. azuki beans and ice cream just sometimes...

when waiola's crowded (many times), i go to this place that's across zippy's on beretania. can't think of the name now but it's pretty good and there's hardly ever a line.

yeah, on a hot day, nothing better...
      525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

I'm really jonesing for a real shave ice right now. There was a place not far from me that was selling authentic shave ice here in RI for a couple of years, but alas, they went belly up. Ass why hard, yeah?

When I'm on the North Shore, I go to Matsumoto's, and when I'm there, I go with a half pineapple/half liliko'i with a splash of li hing mui. No beans or ice cream.

I was reading a newspaper similar to the Honolulu Weekly this weekend that came from Memphis. It's called the Memphis Flyer and they had a little article about a place in Memphis that is a combination shave ice and car wash establishment. What a combination! It appears they make it Hawai'ian style, based on the pictures I saw of the product, along with the descriptions reported.

Comment

My tastes are pretty simple. Never could get the hang of azuki beans or ice cream. Heck, two flavors of syrup is about as complex as I get. Li hing and something sweet, usually. But even just strawberry... I still love the stuff.

Also figured I'd share... I just posted a videoblog entry about a recent trip up to Haleiwa for some shave ice!

Comment

My favorite favorite is the milky custard-puddingy shave ice with mochi balls at Ice Garden in Aiea.

My more normal favorite is strawberry with azuki at Baldwin's in Waimalu, at Aoki's, or at Waiola, but I often get something adventurous at Waiola. Oh, John's store in Nuuanu is another favorite. Tough to beat shave ice in the lovely greenery of Puunui.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

When I was a kid we used to call this tasty cold treat "ice shave". Now I guess "shaved ice" is more popular and generic.

My favorite place closed down many decades ago. It was in the little town of Honokaa on the Big Island of Hawaii. The place was called Hamakua Fountain run by this older Japanese couple. It was one of those old fashioned fountain places where you could buy a hamburger deluxe and fries on a real porcelin plate and your soft drink came in a coned shaped paper cup that was inserted into some kind of stainless steel holder with a base that allowed it to stand upright on the long dining room counter.

Besides the usual lunch fair they made your basic shaved ice. Nothing fancy, not many flavors unless you liked strawberry, orange or blue. I usually always fancied the plain strawberry shaved ice. Once in a while I would get the half and half strawberry and orange. Never liked the blue.

They never sold shaved ice with those azuki beans inside. They did sell an extra priced shaved ice item with a scoop of cold vanilla ice cream in between two layers of ice shavings... topped with the strawberry syrup. Those were great!

Back then the plain shaved ice was 10 cents a standard cone sized cup, 15 cents for the one with the ice cream.

Today I only know of the 2 places in Haleiwa that regularly sells shaved ice. Don't know where the Honolulu places are, so if someone can post names and addresses, those may be helpful. I don't think I'll be going to Haleiwa anytime soon to buy shaved ice with gas going for $3.60 a gallon.
              Last edited by mel; September 15, 2005, 12:30 PM.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                When I was a kid we used to call this tasty cold treat "ice shave". Now I guess "shaved ice" is more popular and generic.
                Before you even said "Honoka`a," I knew you were talking about the Big Island, because they still call it that. It's a Big Island thing.
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                  Also figured I'd share... I just posted a videoblog entry about a recent trip up to Haleiwa for some shave ice!
                  Almost two and a half years after this post, and I've put up another videoblog entry about a family trip to Aoki's Shave Ice. We went up on President's Day.

One, it bears repeating, shave ice is a great treat on a hot, sunny day.

Two, it's amazing to me how online video has progressed in a relatively short time. The first video was 90MB for a 320x240 frame. The new one is HD (1280x720) but only 63MB.

Comment

My sister has this heavy-duty, hand-cranked shave ice machine my parents bought for her a long, long time ago in Japan. It has a circular, machined metal base with a very sharp blade along the radius. You can adjust the height of the blade for fine to course ice shavings. It can go as fine as powder - that's how sharp the blade is. You use milk cartons to freeze the ice blocks. That's the ideal size for this machine.

When we first started using it back in the 80's, she bought all the syrups from Harder's. They're still around. Get all the ono flavors. Like Bubble Gum, Pistachio, Li Hing Mui, Coconut. Banana. Lychee. Anykine. They had a website, but I can't find it now.

Never cared for add-ons in my shave ice like Ice Cream or Azuki. Just 1, maybe 2 or 3 flavors combined, tops. With shave ice, simple is best, IMO. It's all in "the grind".
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Very well done, Ryan!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

My favorite place to get shave ice is at the Shave Ice stand in front of the Sports Authority in Waikele.

The owner is a beautiful Korean woman named Jenny, who has been nothing but a sweetheart to me and my family. It's normal for us to buy shave ice, and then talk story with her for the next half hour.

My favorite flavor is a mix of Vanilla and Lychee, with a snow cap (condensed milk drizzled all over the top) yummm yummmm yummmmmmmmmmmm

Now this really sucks, since I'm craving shave ice and I'm reading and posting at midnight, and she wont be open until 10am.

DD
                        www.myspace.com/chrislunainstrumentals

Comment

WAH!!! I going cry!!!!!
                          http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                          http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

I don't need to go far.

Shimazu is located on School Street.
                            http://www.hawaiistories.com/eric/20...loha-bs-store/

I love mine with Azuki beans and vanilla ice-cream. Strawberry, plezzzzzzz.

Auntie Lynn
                            Last edited by 1stwahine; February 25, 2008, 07:38 AM.
                            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

My aunt took me to Matsumoto's for my first ever Shave Ice. Li Hing, Creamsicle and Coconut with beans and ice cream. Delicious. I haven't had one since, but I'll have to make a point to this week since my brother is visiting from Florida.
                              Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
                              Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

Working...
                              X