What are your favorite wines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are your favorite wines?

This is for Expat. Kama`aina, to fulfill his request.

I prefer white wines, and especially Sauvignon Blanc. The best affordable SB IMO is Nobilo, from New Zealand.
    Surprisingly, Sutter Home (California) makes a decent SB at prices as low as $4 a bottle (on sale); it's better than many more expensive SBs.

Brand-wise, one of my favorite brands is Turning Leaf, which makes a variety of tasty and consistent varieties of common wines.

Red wines: I favor Pinot Noir and Cabernet Sauvignon in general, and my best-liked CS is J. Lohr.

OK, that's a start.

Oh yes, one more thing: I have never tasted a Vendage wine that I didn't pour down the drain immediately. One wine marketer referred to the brand as 'Revenge......'
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Re: What are your favorite wines?

Yellowtail Cabernet-Merlot blend, 1.5 liter size around $9 at Safeway.
    The vineyard comprises approximately 3 percent of all wine produced and is around 540 acres (220 ha), located in the Riverina, Griffith, region of Australia.
    \http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_Tail_%28wine%29
    Greg

Comment

My favorite HT whine is Frankies Market.
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

OK; thanks for the reply. I appreciate those that tried to help me start a "wine thread" of sorts. But I guess not enough wine afficionados here. No problem, to each his own.

Comment

I was surprised to learn that Whole Foods sells their own version of TJ's two buck chuck. Called Three Wishes, and also the house wine at the Warrior's Lounge at the Hale Koa Hotel, it sells for $2.99 a bottle. It's probably the single most inexpensive item sold at WF! My daughter, who has much more sophisticated wine tastes than I, proclaimed both the red and the white very drinkable. Me? I have about 20% working taste buds so anything over $2.99 a bottle is wasted on me!

Comment

Originally posted by Expat Kamaaina View Post
            I appreciate those that tried to help me start a "wine thread" of sorts. But I guess not enough wine afficionados here. No problem, to each his own.
            While I drink wine from time to time and will know that you drink white wine with seafood, pork and chicken and red wine with beef or other red meats, I don't consider myself a wine aficionado.

If I buy wine for myself for home use I normally buy those 4 packs of small bottles from Sutter Home, Robert Mondavi or Gallo Family. On my last trip to Target (Friday 7/26/19) I picked up a couple of containers from a brand called Wine Cube. Each container holds 3 glasses of wine. I drank one of the containers last night. It seemed to be the right amount for me.

Comment

I have been stocking up on the various flavors of the small 500 ml version of Wine Cube from Target. Each of them runs for $5 a container and it is easy to transport on TheBus (also I tend to buy 3 or 2 500ml containers at a time).
              Last edited by helen; July 24, 2020, 09:28 PM.

Comment

The seven flavors of Wine Cube in the 500ml container:

White:
                Sauvignon Blanc
                Chardonnay
                Pinot Grigio

Red:
                Pinot Noir
                Cabernet Sauvignon
                Red Blend

Rose:
                Rose

Picture of the 7 flavors on my Flickr account.

While you can store the white wines at room temperature I tend to place them in my refrigerator when I bring them home.

I tend to use the Red Blend when I eat steaks. For shrimp I tend to drink the Chardonnay.

Comment

For much of 2023 Target selection of Wine Cube has discontinued selling the Red Blend and Pinot Noir flavors of Wine Cube. No idea why. Also on my last trip to Target (7/21/23) the shelf containing the 500ml containers of Wine Cube was bare. They some 3 liter containers of Wine Cube available I don't buy those.

Kind of hoping the unavailability of Wine Cube is temporary.

Comment

Working...
                  X