Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Kaukau Korner
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old April 13th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Hawaii's Best Hot Dog

Man, all this talk about Hank's Haute Dogs is making that place a priority of mine to visit this week.

While that Kobe dog DYASU tried looks and sounds fantastic, I'm a bit reluctant to fork over $8.50 for a friggin' hot dog. Perhaps if I go this Friday, I'd like to try the Lobster dog. Very interesting. It better not be $16 though.

If it is $16, it better be smothered with Escargot and truffles. lol

Have you ever tried Redondo's Teriyaki Winners?...

Said once, and I'll say it again, I'm not a Teriyaki fan, but these are absolutely the BOMB! It's got that savory-sweet-fatty pork thing going on somethin' fierce! Seriously, if you haven't yet, gotta' try 'em. Pick up a pack of these babies and either fry 'em up or slap 'em on the grill. The bomb.

And who says a hot dog needs a bun? How about slapping one of those Teriyaki Winners on kani-lehua's vegetarian chow fun noodles!...

I'd consider voting this plate as a contender to being Hawaii's best hot dog. The contrasting flavor of the Hijiki (that skinny black seaweed stuff) and Beni Shoga (the red pickled ginger stuff on the right corner), along with the savory-sweet-and fatty pork teri dog is truly a marriage made in heaven. And you gotta' use the Hula brand Chow Funn. Excellent.
Old April 13th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomai View Post
While that Kobe dog DYASU tried looks and sounds fantastic, I'm a bit reluctant to fork over $8.50 for a friggin' hot dog. Perhaps if I go this Friday, I'd like to try the Lobster dog. Very interesting. It better not be $16 though.

If it is $16, it better be smothered with Escargot and truffles. lol
Lobster dog runs around in the $10-$11 range. I wasn't being attention to the sign to notice what was in the Lobster dog.
Old April 14th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Ali`i

So I visited Puka Dog in Waikiki last night. They're located on the backside of the Waikiki International Marketplace on Kuhio Avenue.

Cynsaligia's favorite celebrity chef, Anthony Bourdain, featured the place on his Hawaii episode, and so did another show on the same station. Because of that, the establishment has "Featured on the Travel Channel" emblazoned on a sign in front.

So of course AB's visit was a topic of discussion among the manager on duty, myself, and another really friendly lady tourist there.

The rather plain, bread-like buns are massive, measuring about 9" in length, and thick. This is necessary to accommodate the sizeable "puka" for the dog.

Here you see two buns impaled on this specialized heating iron...

Looks like an abandoned Russian missile silo. lol

Here's a view of a Puka Dog bun, before and after...

After that, they pour in a Garlic Lemon "Secret Sauce", then pump it with your choice of relish, including the likes of Mango, Papaya, Coconut, Star Fruit, and my choice, Pineapple. The relish dispensers look like a beer tap, and make the front counter that much more interesting. I also requested ketchup and mustard, which is a must for me with any hotdog, contrary to certain opinions, depending where you're from.

There are two types of sausages: Polish or Veggie. I chose the Polish, which according to the manager is made from a combination of beef, pork and chicken. Sounds good to me.

Here's the finished product...

So how is it? Delicious. Better than I expected actually, which I'm usually skeptical about when a place receives too much hype. The polish sausage itself of course was the key element, and had great flavor. The Pineapple relish wasn't as acidic as I had hoped though, but you could certainly tell it was pineapple, and it complimented the savory wiener (did that sound right?) nicely. The Garlic Lemon sauce also added this interesting 3rd dimension. You can also distinguish the toasted "puka" of the bun, which certainly helped. And the soft and supple body of the bun (did that sound right) made eating this wiener a pure pleasure (did that sound right?).

I also ordered their made-to-order fresh-made lemonade, which was fantastic.

Really, it was delicious. I'd go back again, if not for only one problem: the price. It came out to a whopping $9 plus change for this one dog and the lemonade.

All I need with that is a $3,000 vintage Aloha shirt.

I'll have a full-write-up (as if this wasn't enough), including more photos later on my blog.
Old April 18th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Ali`i

We went to Hanks Haute Dogs foa lunch.

Beau did da ordering.
Three Chicago Dogs, One Keiki Dog, One onion ring, and one french fries.

Two Iced Teas.

It's da BOMB!!!

My opu is full.

Auntie Lynn
Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Old April 19th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Luna

I can't praise Hank's Haute Dog enough for taking a normally average food and making it delicious.

Sure the price is high relative to the "hot dog" world, but well worth it in my opinion.

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com
Old April 19th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Ali`i

I have been to Hank's once so far and more than likey return again. Sure the price is high for hot dogs but there is at least variety in their selection.

Hot dogs at the two major theater are priced in the $3.50-$4.00 range. Ward's hot dog sticks out at least 3/4 inch on both ends of the bun and Dole has done away of the speciality dogs just selling the standard hot dogs.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 05:04 AM
Ali`i

Managed to get a late lunch on Monday from Hank's. Had the Portuguese and the special for Monday was the Greek, which was kind of good.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 01:53 PM
Luna

Finally made it to Hank's on Monday to try the Italian Beef Sandwich. Made a special trip, driving across town. Was told they didn't have it and weren't going to make it anymore. I was quite disappointed to say the least. Walked out without buying anything and informed them I would not be back. Also told them I would not recommend them to anyone. As of today Italian Beef Sandwich is still on their web-site as Monday's Special, false advertising.

If their beef sandwich had been any good I would have recommended it to friend, family and co-workers. I would have made catering orders of 10, 20 and 30+. OK, just give me a seared ahi sandwich and I'll be fine.

If you want a Chicago hot dog go to Woody's and save 2 bucks. Woody's, located in front of Lowes or at the Navy Exchange. Hank's sells Naperville Hot Dogs.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 02:04 PM
Ali`i

Aloha Fritz!

Wow! I can feel your anger. Ova a sandwich? I truly understand. I do. I get angry for smaller things. I'm like King Kong when I get MAD!

But...but...please calm down.

No sense get high blood pressure ova something we don't have control ova.

I bet you can make a better Italian Sandwich!!

As foa bad mouthing a business...we've all had our share of doing the same. Did you taste their Hot Dogs to say they don't taste good? No.

It's up to each individual to vote whether it's good or bad. Their record speaks for it's self. I hope you have a better day. And I will try Woodys too.

Love and ALOHA,

Auntie Lynn
Old May 3rd, 2008, 02:18 PM
Ali`i

Auntie, my blood is still boiling from this next entry, but it's worth it (I think)...

I don't know the specific name of this hot dog, but I do know it came from K-Mart in Iwilei from the Little Caesars counter in the front.

Basically the math is this: Nathan's Hot Dog + Little Caesars Pizza = "The Caesar Dog"

Take one of these...

sans the bun (and condiments)

+

one of these...

sans the toppings

=

this...

This costs $1.50. The dog itself is regular size, and while it can't compete against Costco's killer $1.50 'Zilla dog 'n drink combo in value, it does make up for it in flavor and texture, the latter being key, with that pizza crust baked on, "Pig-in-a-Blanket" style. My friends, this dog ROCKS! The very-salty and fatty Nathan's weiner, combined the toasted, glutenous texture of the pizza crust wrapped around it is pure genius. Awesome.

Check it out a Little Caesars-in-K-Mart near you.
Old May 4th, 2008, 12:04 AM
Ali`i

Pomai, you make me SMILE!

Das a winnah!! Da Pomai Dog Special!

Comes with Chips and Spinach Dip.

Auntie Lynn
Old May 4th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Luna

I'm definitely going to give those Nathan dogs a try Pomai!

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com
Old August 13th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Kanaka

Smile Re: Hawaii's Best Hot Dog

Going back to subject.. Where can you order Redondo's Hotdog?.. is there a place that we can order, li'dat. I leave mainland, yah and was just wondering if I could order them through the internet.

Is this possible? if it is.. where?
Old January 21st, 2009, 12:50 AM
Ali`i

I found a new Woody's Hot Dog stand at Don Quixote, Pearl City Open from 10-7 every day (or so I was told).
Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)
Old February 14th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Keiki

Puka Dog in Waikiki? Is that place still around? Those look amazing. I'll have to check that out the next time the wife and I are in waikiki.

As for Hanks, still delicious hot dogs, work right around the corner but haven't been there as many times as I probably should.

Costco.... those are great too. Some of my personal favs. You don't need a costco card to enjoy them, and they're pretty cheap.
Old February 14th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by evossman View Post
Puka Dog in Waikiki? Is that place still around? Those look amazing. I'll have to check that out the next time the wife and I are in waikiki.

As for Hanks, still delicious hot dogs, work right around the corner but haven't been there as many times as I probably should.
Both are located on Queen Emma Properties. Puka Dog at the Waikiki Trade Center fronting Kuhio Ave. Take a walk inside and you can enter International market Place where Hanks is located.

Auntie Lynn
Old February 14th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Keiki

Nice! Thanks for the information. I was just in town surfing last week and coulda stopped by, bummer. Also, didn't know hanks had a place in waikiki too. I only knew about the one in kakaako.

Thanks!
Old February 14th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Kia`aina

Dole theatre still has their hot dogs priced at $1.00 on Tuesdays. Been doing that for years it seems. I do love the polish dog at costco though. That and a mocha freeze.
Old November 7th, 2017, 11:57 PM
Ali`i

During a recent trip to the Costco Food Court reveals that they discontinued selling the polish sausage option.
Old November 25th, 2017, 01:41 PM
Kanaka

when i was growing up my dad used to get these very very very red skinned dogs he used to call maui hot dogs. tasted sooooo ono.

can i still get em?

thx
Old December 8th, 2017, 02:55 PM
Ali`i

For some awesome variety try:

http://www.hankshautedogs.com

Across from Cutter Auto on Coral Street.
Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.