Testing out on linking posts on HawaiiThreads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing out on linking posts on HawaiiThreads

I noticed something interesting today while reading this post.

So I am testing a couple of links using the 2008 HT picnic thread as the target of the link.

Here is the first test link done the usual way.

And here is the second test link done a different way.

The difference between the two links? The second link drops the 'www' from the URL. Instead of saying 'www.hawaiithreads.com' it says 'hawaiithreads.com'. The result? The second way while you get to see the post you need to login again to Hawaiithreads.

Re: Testing out on linking posts on HawaiiThreads

huh. whenever i click on a link in someone's post, it opens in a new window. when i'm done reading whatever's in the new window, i just go back to the original one.
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Hey, can someone explain to me how you link other posts or threads in your postings?
      ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

First off is your browser configured such that you see the URL of the web page you are currently looking at?

Also do you know how to copy and paste a URL?

Comment

Url? I think so. In the top browser bar? And to copy it, I'd highlight it and press control+C?

Comment

For practice why don't you copy and paste the URL from the thread titled "Do's and Dont's" and place it as a response to this thread.

Comment

Here goes!

This would be the link to do's and dont's http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthr...412#post194412

Hmm. It doesn't look all nice and neat like everyone elses links do.

Comment

You should try again, this time pointing to the start of the thread instead of at the end of the thread.

Comment

Okay, take 2 -
                  http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=12437

Hmm. I don't get it. It does copy the url and insert it into my post, so I guess that's what matters most, even if it's not pretty.

Comment

I don't know which editor you are using when you post to HawaiiThreads but going on the assumption it's the standard editor (you can look into User CP and then Edit Options for the choice of the editor) you can do the following:

1) Copy the URL you wish to use.
                    2) When editing a post highlight some text first
                    3) Find the icon that has the Earth with a gold link. If you move your mouse over it, it will say Insert Link.
                    4) If you click on it another box appears, you might have to remove the http:// first before pasting the URL that you copied in step 1.

Give it a try again, this time highlighting a piece of text.

Comment

take 3 -

Here goes

Woo hoo!! It worked!! Thanks, Helen!! Now my posts will look that much more classy!

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
                        huh. whenever i click on a link in someone's post, it opens in a new window. when i'm done reading whatever's in the new window, i just go back to the original one.
                        What I experienced was that when I click on your link I got to the thread that you referenced within HawaiiThreads. Since the thread had a good of responses to it, it spanned on 2 pages. While I could read the first page okay it gave me a server timeout message when I attempted to read the second page. I tried to refresh the page and I kept on getting server timeout messages. I also couldn't figure out why it forgot who I was.

Looking at your post and some other posts the only difference I could see was that your links don't use the 'www' in them. I don't why this is so but I figured I should try this for myself and at least note the difference.

What I do notice since the upgrade, while the link page doesn't know who you are it doesn't give any server timeout message if you try to access any additional pages after the initial page have been displayed.

Comment

Working...
                        X