Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HT Book Circle

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
    We'll set a schedule based on the length and difficulty of the book. For example, "read chapters 1 through 5 by this Monday; read through chapter 10 by next..."
    What tempo, Maeeestro? What book is first on the block?

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
      I don't know which book increased the trajectory of my vomit, that one or Shark Dialogues.
      Please elaborate. I'd love to hear your review of HH.
      “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
      http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Any interest in reading time-travel books?

I was looking around for some good ones, and here are a few suggestions that look good:
        1 Replay by Ken Grimwood - looks like it's a kind of Groundhog Day-ish type setting.

2 Doomsday Book by Connie Willis - it's set during the Black Plague in the 14th century. I just took a history course last quarter, and the bubonic plague really intrigued (and horrified) me.

3 Timeline by Michael Crichton - also set in the 14th century. What can I say, I'm a history buff.

Anyways, just throwing a few suggestions out there and seeing if they get a nibble.

Comment

Originally posted by Marco View Post
          Any interest in reading time-travel books?

I was looking around for some good ones, and here are a few suggestions that look good:
          1 Replay by Ken Grimwood - looks like it's a kind of Groundhog Day-ish type setting.

2 Doomsday Book by Connie Willis - it's set during the Black Plague in the 14th century. I just took a history course last quarter, and the bubonic plague really intrigued (and horrified) me.

3 Timeline by Michael Crichton - also set in the 14th century. What can I say, I'm a history buff.

Anyways, just throwing a few suggestions out there and seeing if they get a nibble.
          "Timeline" was awful. "Congo" or "Eaters of the Dead"(my fav) were better IMO.
          “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."

Comment

light reading and free: g33k mafia
            Fired from a job he hated at a company he loved, videogame designer Paul Reynolds is drowning his sorrows in late-morning margaritas when he meets an alluring, pink-haired conwoman named Chloe. With her gang of techno-pirate friends, Chloe helps Paul not only take revenge on his former employers, but also extort a small fortune from them in the process. What more could a recently unemployed, over-worked videogame designer in Silicon Valley ask for?

In return for Chloe’s help, Paul agrees to create counterfeit comic books for one of her crew’s criminal schemes. In the process finds himself drawn right into the center of their wild, seductive, underground world. He falls in for their fun loving, drug fueled “off the grid” lifestyle almost as fast as he falls head over heels for Chloe. Wary of the Crew’s darker side, but eager to impress both the girl and the gang, Paul uses his game design expertise to invent a masterful con of his own. If all goes according to plan, it will be one for the ages. But can he trust any of them, or is he the one who’s really being conned?

Inspired by author Rick Dakan’s own eventful experiences in the videogame and comic book industries, "Geek Mafia", satisfies the hunger in all of us to buck the system, take revenge on corporate America, and live a life of excitement and adventure.

The book was a fast fun read but needs the application of a quick spellcheck.
            Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
              The book was a fast fun read but needs the application of a quick spellcheck.
              Ai. I mean, I think a non-traditional author with a non-traditional distribution system -- including totally free, online -- would be an interesting place to go with a reading group. But if we do, I'd rather avoid something quite that rough. Perhaps something by Cory Doctorow. I've always loved what he's doing, but never sat down to actually consume any of his novels.

For the first few books, though, I think I'd prefer some dead trees in my hands. Of the names most recently tossed out, I wouldn't mind some Dorothy Parker, Lois-Ann Yamanaka or Michael Crichton. Maybe Yamanaka would be a good inaugural title, given, you know, why most of us are here!

Comment

I'm totally interested in the book Marco posted--Replay by Grimwood. Incredible reviews on Amazon, plus Groundhog Day is one of my favorite movies. I picked it up from my library today, but probably will have to renew it once or twice before I'll have the time to read it. I'd love it if we read that one!! Any chance of that?

If not, how about we read P.D. James's The Children of Men? It's not a very long book (nor is Replay).
                * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
                - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Include Octavia Butler's "Kindred" in those time travel books. Real talk.
                  Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

I'd like to also cast a vote for "Children of Men".
                    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

What about either Comfort Woman or Fox Girl by Nora Okja Keller?

Comment

well, since I just bought "Children of Men", that will be the book I read next. If that is the one chosen - great.
                        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

And if not, great too. Saw the movie last night, definitely curious about the source material, but if it's anything else, hey, I expand my horizons.

So, Scriv. Got a lot of good suggestions. Poll time yet? Were you thinking of this as a monthly or bi-monthly thing, or just adjusted as needed based on everyone's progress?

Comment

I'd be happy with Children of Men. The only reservation I have is if reading the book will ruin the movie for me, or vice versa. I generally find that to be the case (ie. Harry Potter books/movies).

If not CoM, I wouldn't mind reading Adri's suggestions: I'm part Korean and would be all for reading more about my ancestry.

And if others are interested in Replay like Uilani is, I'd be up for that, too.

Comment

I think I will read The Children of Men regardless. It sounds very interesting

Comment

Would this appeal to anyone besides me?

http://www.amazon.com/Blood-Thunder-...e=UTF8&s=books

This is more my standard fare:
                                http://www.amazon.com/Trouble-Again-...e=UTF8&s=books

Comment

Working...
                                X