Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Circuit Circus
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #226  
Old October 8th, 2011, 12:49 AM
craigwatanabe's Avatar
craigwatanabe craigwatanabe is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna
Posts: 8,415
Default Re: Apple Announcements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuatree View Post
Androids vs iPhone?

That's where the problem lies in the debate. It either should be operating system comparison - Android vs iOS; or phone model comparison - iPhone vs (insert Android flavor phone such as Galaxy S2, Optimus G2, etc etc).

In terms of specific handset models, iPhone outsells.

In terms of which phone OS dominates in sales, Android does.

Just buy a phone that best suits you.
Being a BlackBerry user, I actually had an iPhone4 for 48-hours until my wife said no. (

Prior to that I had a Droid X until I said no.

Having been a solid BB user for years, and having tried both the Droid X and the iPhone4. If I had to switch out from my BB, hands down it would be the iPhone4.

The Droid X couldn't keep up with my power use having to do a mid day charge when I go into my evening meetings. The iPhone ran the whole day and evening like my BB on a single charge.

The Droid X was cumbersome to use and required some thinking to operate and navigate. The iPhone was very intuitive.

On Apps, OMG I tried the same apps that were available on all three platforms. Having been used to BB apps, the iPhone4 apps were so much easier to use and ran smoother than BB or Android.

The iPhone simply worked right out of the box. My next phone no doubt will be an iPhone.

And that's from a dedicated BB user for four years now and a dedicated PC'er to boot! That speaks volumes about the iPhone4.
__________________
Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.
Reply With Quote
  #227  
Old October 10th, 2011, 05:45 PM
joshuatree joshuatree is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,824
Default Re: Apple Announcements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
Being a BlackBerry user, I actually had an iPhone4 for 48-hours until my wife said no. (

Prior to that I had a Droid X until I said no.

Having been a solid BB user for years, and having tried both the Droid X and the iPhone4. If I had to switch out from my BB, hands down it would be the iPhone4.

The Droid X couldn't keep up with my power use having to do a mid day charge when I go into my evening meetings. The iPhone ran the whole day and evening like my BB on a single charge.

The Droid X was cumbersome to use and required some thinking to operate and navigate. The iPhone was very intuitive.

On Apps, OMG I tried the same apps that were available on all three platforms. Having been used to BB apps, the iPhone4 apps were so much easier to use and ran smoother than BB or Android.

The iPhone simply worked right out of the box. My next phone no doubt will be an iPhone.

And that's from a dedicated BB user for four years now and a dedicated PC'er to boot! That speaks volumes about the iPhone4.
So it sounds like the Droid X didn't do too well. Then again, my experience with Motorola phones have always been iffy. But just because it runs on Android doesn't mean it represents Android powered phones built by HTC, Samsung, or even LG.
Reply With Quote
  #228  
Old October 11th, 2011, 05:28 AM
TuNnL's Avatar
TuNnL TuNnL is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Mō‘ili‘ili
Posts: 2,455
Send a message via AIM to TuNnL Send a message via Yahoo to TuNnL
Lightbulb Re: Apple Announcements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuatree View Post
So it sounds like the Droid X didn't do too well. Then again, my experience with Motorola phones have always been iffy. But just because it runs on Android doesn't mean it represents Android powered phones built by HTC, Samsung, or even LG.
The Droid X was the most sought after phone of Summer 2010 on Verizon. Both corporate and indirect Verizon dealers statewide were sold out for months. The Droid X did very well. In fact, I own one myself and I have to say it performs better than any phone I know of that had been released up to that point in time. HTC, Samsung and LG have improved substantially since they first contracted with Google to produce Android handsets. Samsung has been plagued with software update problems up until very recently. LG has experimented dismally with “budget” Androids — mostly the kind that Frankie describes as “two-for one freebies.” For most of their short track record, HTC phones have been flimsy. Just tonight, I met a woman with a badly cracked HTC screen. Very easy to do. The Thunderbolt (4G LTE) — HTC’s newest flagship — is the first handset they’ve manufactured that I would consider as indestructible as a Motorola Droid. Motorola as whole has done phenomenally well with their Droid series. They have six models on Verizon alone. They pioneered the use of Gorilla glass, which Apple finally adopted with the 3GS model after seeing Motorola’s success. The Droids are the single biggest reason Motorola is in the black after losing the CPU contract with Apple Computers to Intel.

Craig Watanabe, OTOH, is one of those rarities. He is one of the 2% who prefer Blackberry over Android. But RIM is a has-been. They have been in third place or lower as smartphone platform for nearly two years in the U.S. I used to sell cell phones for a living, and let me tell you, more mobile customers complained about Blackberry then any other brand. I had no bias against Blackberry going into the job. Blackberry users alone convinced me never to get a Blackberry. Out of at least 100 BB owners (conservatively), Craig is the very first I have heard of defending BB with that level of passion. The vast majority say things like this: “my BB crashed after I installed the OTA update. I need to replace it with anything except another BB.” “I’ve owned a cell phone for nearly 20 years, and this is by far the worst one I’ve ever used.” “This thing has a web browser from the 1980s.” Of course, you can see, at least Craig has finally conceded that he will be upgrading to an iPhone — a change of heart he has only announced on HT within the past 96 hours. Better late then never.
__________________

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
USA TODAY, page 2A
11 March 1993

Last edited by TuNnL; October 11th, 2011 at 05:48 AM. Reason: accuracy
Reply With Quote
  #229  
Old October 12th, 2011, 04:12 PM
joshuatree joshuatree is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,824
Default Re: Apple Announcements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuNnL View Post
The Droid X was the most sought after phone of Summer 2010 on Verizon. Both corporate and indirect Verizon dealers statewide were sold out for months. The Droid X did very well. In fact, I own one myself and I have to say it performs better than any phone I know of that had been released up to that point in time. HTC, Samsung and LG have improved substantially since they first contracted with Google to produce Android handsets. Samsung has been plagued with software update problems up until very recently. LG has experimented dismally with “budget” Androids — mostly the kind that Frankie describes as “two-for one freebies.” For most of their short track record, HTC phones have been flimsy. Just tonight, I met a woman with a badly cracked HTC screen. Very easy to do. The Thunderbolt (4G LTE) — HTC’s newest flagship — is the first handset they’ve manufactured that I would consider as indestructible as a Motorola Droid. Motorola as whole has done phenomenally well with their Droid series. They have six models on Verizon alone. They pioneered the use of Gorilla glass, which Apple finally adopted with the 3GS model after seeing Motorola’s success. The Droids are the single biggest reason Motorola is in the black after losing the CPU contract with Apple Computers to Intel.

Craig Watanabe, OTOH, is one of those rarities. He is one of the 2% who prefer Blackberry over Android. But RIM is a has-been. They have been in third place or lower as smartphone platform for nearly two years in the U.S. I used to sell cell phones for a living, and let me tell you, more mobile customers complained about Blackberry then any other brand. I had no bias against Blackberry going into the job. Blackberry users alone convinced me never to get a Blackberry. Out of at least 100 BB owners (conservatively), Craig is the very first I have heard of defending BB with that level of passion. The vast majority say things like this: “my BB crashed after I installed the OTA update. I need to replace it with anything except another BB.” “I’ve owned a cell phone for nearly 20 years, and this is by far the worst one I’ve ever used.” “This thing has a web browser from the 1980s.” Of course, you can see, at least Craig has finally conceded that he will be upgrading to an iPhone — a change of heart he has only announced on HT within the past 96 hours. Better late then never.
This is where I would say YMMV. I've been a BB user for 4 years. I've had a great experience with them. Yes, there were some outages on the services side but never experienced anything significant with the phone. And I've dropped it many times too. OTOH, I had pre-Droid Motorola phones that did not last a year and I babied them too, no drops whatsoever.

RIM just hasn't been able to get themselves back in the race so to a certain extent, they are forcing their own BB users to eventually migrate to another platform.
Reply With Quote
  #230  
Old October 12th, 2011, 06:27 PM
anapuni808's Avatar
anapuni808 anapuni808 is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: No. California
Posts: 2,556
Default Re: Apple Announcements

wow JT - you must not have tried to use your phone today then right?
__________________
"Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
– Sydney J. Harris
Reply With Quote
  #231  
Old October 12th, 2011, 11:29 PM
tutusue's Avatar
tutusue tutusue is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Wah-key'-key
Posts: 10,390
Default Re: Apple Announcements

My daughter loves her Blackberry.
Reply With Quote
  #232  
Old October 12th, 2011, 11:52 PM
joshuatree joshuatree is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,824
Default Re: Apple Announcements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anapuni808 View Post
wow JT - you must not have tried to use your phone today then right?
"Yes, there were some outages on the services side but never experienced anything significant with the phone."

Today is an issue with service. There is still phone side such as durability, stability, battery life, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #233  
Old October 13th, 2011, 12:14 AM
Frankie's Market's Avatar
Frankie's Market Frankie's Market is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,664
Default Re: Apple Announcements

Forget about features, bells and whistles, and even discounted prices,.... When it comes to smartphones and tablets, apps are THE thing, above every other consideration. If a smartphone/tablet cannot utilize the latest and most popular apps, then consumers simply won't buy it, no matter if the device offers superior performance in every other area over its competitors.

For Blackberry to increase its market share, there has to be more new apps available for its products. But in turn, app developers don't want to invest their time and money creating new apps for the Blackberry unless the company first draws in more users. It's a conundrum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anapuni808 View Post
wow JT - you must not have tried to use your phone today then right?
Yeah, Blackberry's 3 day outage coming on the heels of the iPhone 4S might just be the nail in the coffin that finally puts RIM out of its misery.
__________________
This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.
Reply With Quote
  #234  
Old October 25th, 2011, 02:48 PM
craigwatanabe's Avatar
craigwatanabe craigwatanabe is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna
Posts: 8,415
Default Re: Apple Announcements

After Steve Job's passing and more of his life is becoming public material, plus with the Motorola Droid Razr coming out in November AND the BB Torch now available at Verizon, I've kinda decided against the iPhone.

Not too familiar with the Droid Razr but with the Gorilla Glass and the steel construction, I'm hoping the Droid Razr will work for me.

The problem I had with the Droid X were several. 1) Battery life didn't allow me to be a power user from morning to late evening without recharging late afternoon. I track five email accounts with my BB and am using it all day. 2) I didn't like the way you unlocked the screen. The BB had a physical button on the top left that allowed you to physicall lock or unlock the phone. 3) The Droid X was too big for my Asian hands and too tall for my shirt pocket. Basically the phone was too big. 4) I knew it was an omen from the beginning. When I got my first Droid X via UPS, and I tried to do the initial update (*228 option 2) it wouldn't connect to Verizon. The second one did the same thing. The third one finally did but a few days later it failed to connect online. Verizon determined it too was faulty.

After three bad Droid X phones, I decided I didn't want it anymore and picked the BB Storm II as my replacement for my BB Storm I. The Storm II like the Storm I operated flawlessly right out of the box.

When my Storm II was up for replacement, I decided to go for the iPhone4. Great phone but my wife said no Returned it and reactivated my Storm II.

Now most of you here know me as the Moral Majority guy and I uphold that belief as part of my integrity piece in life. When I read excerpts of Steve Jobs bio, I was a bit taken back at his attitude on authority, drugs and his incessant desire to yell at people who don't see it his way.

He said if Bill Gates had taken LSD like he did, he would have had a different mindset. He believed taking drugs allowed him to see outside the box and that allowed him to design all the iGadgets he's come up with. Bill Gates with his current nerdy mindset donated half of his fortune to the cure of Aids. Would Bill Gates have done that with a different mindset?

Steve Jobs managed to make his company into one of the richest corporations in America...which by the way is what Occupy Wallstreet is protesting against...Corporate Greed.

The iPhone is a great phone that really does simply work right out of the box, however for philosophical reasons, I will probably choose not to go with an iPhone.

Like this video says: One Died, Millions Cried. Millions Died, No One Cried
__________________
Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.
Reply With Quote
  #235  
Old October 25th, 2011, 05:00 PM
joshuatree joshuatree is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,824
Default Re: Apple Announcements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
...The iPhone is a great phone that really does simply work right out of the box, however for philosophical reasons, I will probably choose not to go with an iPhone. ...
On the philosophical note, iPhones are also made by Foxconn, a Taiwanese company known for sweatshop labor environments at their plants in China.

Haven't read the autobiography yet but Steve Jobs was livid about how Android is a copy of the iPhone OS. However, can this not be said of Apple with the GUI and mouse - copies of Xerox products?
Reply With Quote
  #236  
Old October 26th, 2011, 02:34 AM
craigwatanabe's Avatar
craigwatanabe craigwatanabe is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna
Posts: 8,415
Default Re: Apple Announcements

I was really surprised that Foxconn made them as they are crappy motherboards in general. Foxconn also makes the laptop motherboards for ASUS laptops as well! That was a total amazement as ASUS is also known for making top notch desktop motherboards. Why would they contract out motherboards for their own line of laptops when they manufacture their own for desktops?
__________________
Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.
Reply With Quote
  #237  
Old October 26th, 2011, 02:41 AM
craigwatanabe's Avatar
craigwatanabe craigwatanabe is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna
Posts: 8,415
Default Re: Apple Announcements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuatree View Post
...Haven't read the autobiography yet but Steve Jobs was livid about how Android is a copy of the iPhone OS. However, can this not be said of Apple with the GUI and mouse - copies of Xerox products?
Oh yes! Thank you for saying that! I didn't want to stoke the embers of this hot topic but yes many do not realize or remember that it was Apple that lost a lawsuit brought on by Xerox for stealing their GUI format. Apple then tried to sue Microsoft for doing to them what Apple did to Xerox. Now Apple and Samsung are in a lawsuit tit for tat war with each other.
__________________
Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.
Reply With Quote
  #238  
Old October 26th, 2011, 05:23 AM
Frankie's Market's Avatar
Frankie's Market Frankie's Market is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,664
Default Re: Apple Announcements

Making purchasing choices based on philosophy and principles is fine and all. But I imagine that all those things will seem totally insignificant if it leads to buying a product that is poorly conceived and executed. No better example of that than my brother, who was always something of an anti-Apple zealot. He scoffed at the iPhone 4 and got himself HTC's flaghip phone, the Thunderbolt. Three months later, he totally regrets it. Dozens of times, the phone would freeze at random moments, forcing reboots. After 8 months of owning an iPhone 4, I have yet to experience a single lock-up. Not once.

But an even greater source of frustration is the lack of across-the-board compatibilty of Android apps among all the handsets. What works beautifully with a certain Motorola model might be glitchy (or worse) on a Samsung. At least when it comes to Apple's app store, you know that anything you purchase there will work work on an iPhone. Period. And on the rare occasions that there is an issue with an app not working properly, the app store will offer updates/fixes to ALL iPhone users at the same time, rather than the hit-or-miss support that Android users have been saddled with,.... what with the bewildering array of Android "compatible" handsets out there that app programmers have to cater to. It's a daunting challenge that they are sometimes not able to meet.
__________________
This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.
Reply With Quote
  #239  
Old October 26th, 2011, 02:44 PM
joshuatree joshuatree is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,824
Default Re: Apple Announcements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
..But an even greater source of frustration is the lack of across-the-board compatibilty of Android apps among all the handsets...
Considering Android is open source, tweaking of the code by different handset manufacturers wouldn't be a surprised. It's not really a frustration with that mindset. iOS is proprietary.
Reply With Quote
  #240  
Old October 26th, 2011, 05:03 PM
Frankie's Market's Avatar
Frankie's Market Frankie's Market is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,664
Default Re: Apple Announcements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuatree View Post
Considering Android is open source, tweaking of the code by different handset manufacturers wouldn't be a surprised. It's not really a frustration with that mindset.
Not really a frustration? Whatever. Tell that to the Android owners who have gotten excited whenever their favorite media service/game developer hypes the upcoming release of a new Android app,..... only to be disappointed when the new app comes out and they discover that their particular handset offers only partial or zero functionality.
__________________
This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.
Reply With Quote
  #241  
Old October 26th, 2011, 05:37 PM
joshuatree joshuatree is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,824
Default Re: Apple Announcements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
Not really a frustration? Whatever. Tell that to the Android owners who have gotten excited whenever their favorite media service/game developer hypes the upcoming release of a new Android app,..... only to be disappointed when the new app comes out and they discover that their particular handset offers only partial or zero functionality.
Like I said, all mindset. I have now switched over to an Android phone in the past month, I'm not the slightest bit frustrated as I anticipated the pitfalls and pluses of using open source vs proprietary.

Anyone who makes decisions based solely on hypes will usually be disappointed, just like all the Apple fans expecting an iPhone 5 that would be much more than the iPhone 4S.
Reply With Quote
  #242  
Old October 28th, 2011, 11:30 PM
Frankie's Market's Avatar
Frankie's Market Frankie's Market is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,664
Default Re: Apple Announcements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuatree View Post
Like I said, all mindset. I have now switched over to an Android phone in the past month, I'm not the slightest bit frustrated as I anticipated the pitfalls and pluses of using open source vs proprietary.
Bully for you. But for other people whose standards are, shall we say, a "bit" more rigid than your overly forgiving one, it can lead to real problems. Problems that don't simply disappear by changing one's mindset.

PCMag.com

Quote:
What's wrong with fragmentation? We've vented many times in the past, but DeGusta does a fine job of explaining how fragmentation screws over Android owners in terms of security and app development.

"If a security or privacy problem popped up in old versions of Android or its associated apps (i.e. the browser), it's hard to imagine that all of these no-longer-supported phones would be updated," he says as one example.
For those of you who are concerned about security and privacy issues, then you had better be worried when the time comes that your Android handset is no longer updated and supported. Or,.... you can adopt the "mindset" that the problem is all in your head and pretend that hacking threats don't exist. Take your pick.

Quote:
On the flipside, he notes that Apple iPhones are updated on day one of a major iOS release, simply because Apple enjoys a direct relationship with its phone owners. On the other hand, Android has to dig through unmotivated cell phone manufacturers and conservative carriers send an update.

"In other words, Apple's way of getting you to buy a new phone is to make you really happy with your current one, whereas apparently Android phone makers think they can get you to buy a new phone by making you really unhappy with your current one," DeGusta concludes.
Food for thought, especially for those of you who are buying a smartphone for the first time. When comparing handsets, don't just focus on the basic features, like you may have done when you were shopping around for regular cell phones. Look at the company's history when it comes to providing long-term support. When it comes to any device that hooks up to the internet, the updating of the OS/firmware is an often overlooked, but very important component.

Here is a chart that Michael Degusta of The Understatement made, comparing the update history of the iPhone and the Android devices that have been out since July of 2010.



And before anyone shoots off their mouth, claiming that this chart is the work of some Apple fanboy, offer evidence first which shows Degusta's data is inaccurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuatree View Post
Anyone who makes decisions based solely on hypes will usually be disappointed, just like all the Apple fans expecting an iPhone 5 that would be much more than the iPhone 4S.
Apples and oranges. (Pardon the pun!)

When people shelled out money to buy the iPhone 4S, they knew exactly what they were getting and paying for. This is not the same as what I was talking about earlier (i.e. people paying for an app from the Android Market which promises to do this and that,... and then finding out the darn thing doesn't work as advertised after you install it on your particular handset).

Morevoer, Apple never made any promises about an iPhone 5 coming out in 2011. That "hype" was in reality, speculation and rumors coming from sources outside of Apple. If you or anyone else bought into those unfounded rumors, then one needs to only look in the mirror to find the party responsible for having feelings of disappointment over the iPhone 4S.
__________________
This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.
Reply With Quote
  #243  
Old October 29th, 2011, 12:16 AM
mel's Avatar
mel mel is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii USA
Posts: 5,237
Default Re: Apple Announcements

Samsung Passes Apple, Nokia In Global Smartphone Shipments

Quote:
Apple may be seeing some success in the courts when it comes to its war on Samsung, but Samsung has the upper hand when it comes to sheer shipment numbers. According to market research firm Strategy Analytics, Samsung shipped 27.8 million smartphones globally during the third quarter of 2011, up from a mere 7.5 million during the same quarter in 2010. That’s an increase of 370 percent year-over-year, allowing Samsung to leapfrog both Apple and Nokia.

Apple, by comparison, shipped 17.1 million handsets during Q3 2011, up from 14.1 million in the year-ago quarter.
The above is from a non-Apple source.

Since I don't own or intend to own any type of cell phone I find all of this back and forth just interesting from an academic point of view (whatever that may be)....

Surely I am an Apple fan, but my use of iOS is in Apple's niche product of the iPod Touch which has no phone and almost no other competitor in the hand held mobile market that is not a smart phone or a tablet. iPod Touch is just the best portable computer (to me) that doubles as a music and video player, still and video camera and does most of the same apps that iPhone and iPad can do without the monthly cell phone charge. And that I like.

But folks carry on with the back and forth. It's interesting reading for when I am bored... kind of reminds me of the old DOS vs. Mac arguments of years gone by.
__________________
I'm still here. Are you?
Reply With Quote
  #244  
Old October 29th, 2011, 12:43 AM
Leo Lakio Leo Lakio is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 9,558
Default Re: Apple Announcements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel View Post
Since I don't own or intend to own any type of cell phone ...
That sort of surprises me, since you're pretty tech-savvy, Mel, as well as an independent businessman. Yet I can respect it, because I held out for quite a while myself, until I found it valuable to have one, during a period when (a) some family members needed to reach me at any time, and (b) I was working a contract job in a studio that had no phone.
Reply With Quote
  #245  
Old October 29th, 2011, 05:40 AM
craigwatanabe's Avatar
craigwatanabe craigwatanabe is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna
Posts: 8,415
Default Re: Apple Announcements

I'm one that absolutely needs a smartphone.

Working 11-hour days six days a week, and highly dependent on commission sales, I can't be sitting at a computer generating or waiting for email. That coupled with being the IT Chair for the Hawaii Lions statewide, I use cloud-based computing a lot.

I literally track five very active email accounts including one corporate email that requires constant monitoring for sales leads (hence the need for a BB smartphone that can handle corporate email exchange server applications) that require immediate replies.

Having a reliable smartphone is critical to me on a day to day basis and having it small enough to be able to tuck it away so I can use both hands is a necessity. A tablet computer was considered but then I'd have to put it down during a vehicle demonstration and it's easy to forget it as you are focused on the needs of the customer. Most times it's on the showroom floor. Not a good place to put anything electronic with a glass screen.

One car sale per month gained thru the use of my BB will pay for the monthly data plan many times over. Having a smartphone with a data plan has allowed me to expand my sales abilities while updating the Hawaii Lions and the Waiakea Lions web/blogsites. I've burned out one Palm Treo and one Blackberry Storm I smartphone and pretty soon my Blackberry Storm II smartphone. Definately a well-used business and civic tool.

This is why I need a smartphone that works well and my dillema of function vs personal integrity. Man that iPhone 4 really works well (except for the corporate email part) and I truly wanted to get it, but my moral compass continues to point me away from it.

What's making the iPhone 4 (not the 4s) even more inviting is that Apple just announced this week that they are dropping the price of the iPhone 4 to $99 and the iPhone 3Gs will be offered free now that the iPhone 4s is now available.
__________________
Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.
Reply With Quote
  #246  
Old October 31st, 2011, 03:45 PM
joshuatree joshuatree is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,824
Default Re: Apple Announcements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
Bully for you. But for other people whose standards are, shall we say, a "bit" more rigid than your overly forgiving one, it can lead to real problems. Problems that don't simply disappear by changing one's mindset.
How is that I'm overly forgiving when I've set my expectations at the appropriate level? There's plenty of reviews and discussion to make an informed choice on what to buy.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
For those of you who are concerned about security and privacy issues, then you had better be worried when the time comes that your Android handset is no longer updated and supported. Or,.... you can adopt the "mindset" that the problem is all in your head and pretend that hacking threats don't exist. Take your pick.
So can I address the vulnerablility with malware via pdf as discovered by a German security agency, especially on the older iPhones? Or how about that hidden unencrypted file on the iPhone that collects data on user movement? Only when confronted did Apple say it was an "error" for it to retain the volume of data and not let a user opt out. Does the iPhone use AES encryption like BB does if security and privacy is your #1 priority? It certainly is for enterprises which is why they are still hanging onto BB.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
Food for thought, especially for those of you who are buying a smartphone for the first time. When comparing handsets, don't just focus on the basic features, like you may have done when you were shopping around for regular cell phones. Look at the company's history when it comes to providing long-term support. When it comes to any device that hooks up to the internet, the updating of the OS/firmware is an often overlooked, but very important component.

Here is a chart that Michael Degusta of The Understatement made, comparing the update history of the iPhone and the Android devices that have been out since July of 2010.

And before anyone shoots off their mouth, claiming that this chart is the work of some Apple fanboy, offer evidence first which shows Degusta's data is inaccurate.
So if I bought an Apple iPhone 3G in June 2010, can I load iOS5 introduced this month? Also, does that chart take into account Android rolled out many more version updates than iOS has?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
Apples and oranges. (Pardon the pun!)

When people shelled out money to buy the iPhone 4S, they knew exactly what they were getting and paying for. This is not the same as what I was talking about earlier (i.e. people paying for an app from the Android Market which promises to do this and that,... and then finding out the darn thing doesn't work as advertised after you install it on your particular handset).

Morevoer, Apple never made any promises about an iPhone 5 coming out in 2011. That "hype" was in reality, speculation and rumors coming from sources outside of Apple. If you or anyone else bought into those unfounded rumors, then one needs to only look in the mirror to find the party responsible for having feelings of disappointment over the iPhone 4S.
How does all this refute my statement? When someone simply makes a decision solely on hype, regardless of source, they will most likely be disappointed. Does research and cross shopping not mean anything?

I guess people who shelled out money to buy the iPhone4 knew exactly they were buying a phone that dropped calls when holding the phone in a certain way bridged the antennas right? Or the camera on the iPhone4 producing a green halo under certain conditions that never existed on the iPhone3GS?

Apple has a great niche, they make things user friendly and it's an important point for those that are less tech savvy. But it comes with a hefty price. They cost more, period. If subscribing to a 2 yr contract, they may appear to be on par, but let's not forget taxes are based on MSRP and they have a higher MSRP. They also don't have 4G capability which in turn also affects battery consumption on Android devices, (avoid using 4G and the battery life on these Androids can literally double or more). If you don't want contracts, as mentioned, their MSRP is way more than a typical Android device with comparable specs. With the money I'm saving using a month to month contract, I will make up for the difference in cost of my Android phone at MRSP vs contract in 4 months. Throw in another 5 months and I'll essentially have recouped the cost of the whole phone. Not gonna happen in 9 months with an iPhone. I can then simply choose to buy another at that point if I really wanted to.

If you want to keep cross comparing, at least do it on all fronts. As I said early on, buy what fits one's needs.
Reply With Quote
  #247  
Old October 31st, 2011, 11:43 PM
Frankie's Market's Avatar
Frankie's Market Frankie's Market is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,664
Default Re: Apple Announcements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
This is why I need a smartphone that works well and my dillema of function vs personal integrity. Man that iPhone 4 really works well (except for the corporate email part) and I truly wanted to get it, but my moral compass continues to point me away from it.
Well Craig, your rationale is straight-forward and no-nonsense. Hope that whatever smartphone you end up purchasing works out well for your business.
__________________
This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.
Reply With Quote
  #248  
Old November 8th, 2011, 08:43 PM
joshuatree joshuatree is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,824
Default Re: Apple Announcements

So a highly regarded cybersecurity expert finds two security vulnerabilities and Apple gets sore.....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45213777.../#.TrnndfQr27s
Reply With Quote
  #249  
Old November 10th, 2011, 10:20 PM
craigwatanabe's Avatar
craigwatanabe craigwatanabe is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna
Posts: 8,415
Default Re: Apple Announcements

I'm definately not the first to accuse me and I won't deny being one but I am such a f*cking hypocrite!

The stars lined up for me and I made a purchase:

Star #1: I wore out my BB Storm 2 to the point where I had to turn off the "radio" function that controls the 3G reception and the cellular function then turn it on again to receive calls and messages. Lost three sales because I didn't respond fast enough and those customers bought elsewhere costing me about $1,000 in commissions.

Star #2: I did get an unexpected sales bonus this month, nothing big only $50 for being such a good employee.

Star #3: My wife was in such a giving mood and I could have asked for the Moon!

And last but not least...

Star #4: Walmart had the iPhone 4 (not the 4S) on sale for $88

I had money, I had a reason to replace my BB, I had my wife's blessings, and I had the opportunity to get a phone cheaper than getting another BB.

All that was left was that integrity piece...that my wife justified for me getting the iPhone. And that was this one simple statement: Pastor Sheldon (from our church) has an iPhone and he's okay with it.

Now that I've owned an iPhone 4 for a few days now and getting used to it, I can make one very important statement for those of us who depend on email A LOT!!! And that is, the BB is wayyyyy more intuitive, effective and faster than the iPhone. There are a lot more effective tools in a BB that allows for extremely fast response times when emailing clients. Even BB's text features allow you to directly phone dial out from a text message that is typed into a text body, an email letter, Facebook post, even a Word or Excel file displaying a typed phone number.

That is very important to me and unfortunately the iPhone can't do that.

email messages, FB messages, any internet-generated message gets to my BB faster than my iPhone.

Now the question to all of you who are iPhone users...how do I get my ringtone I made exclusively for my wife onto my iPhone? I don't want to buy a ringtone but I can't figure out how to import an mp3 ringtone over to my iPhone.
__________________
Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.
Reply With Quote
  #250  
Old November 11th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Frankie's Market's Avatar
Frankie's Market Frankie's Market is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,664
Default Re: Apple Announcements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
All that was left was that integrity piece...that my wife justified for me getting the iPhone. And that was this one simple statement: Pastor Sheldon (from our church) has an iPhone and he's okay with it.
If Cecilio Rodririguez gets convicted for sexual abuse, are you going to stop listening to C&K recordings?

In light of the scandal surrounding Rupert Murdoch, are you going to stop watching all NFL games telecast on the FOX network?

If one can only purchase products/services provided by people with perfect morals, then the pickin's are going to be mighty slim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
Now the question to all of you who are iPhone users...how do I get my ringtone I made exclusively for my wife onto my iPhone? I don't want to buy a ringtone but I can't figure out how to import an mp3 ringtone over to my iPhone.
The instructions contained in this article worked like a charm for me.
__________________
This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Last edited by Frankie's Market; November 11th, 2011 at 09:32 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
apple, ipod, mac, mac os, obituary, smartphones

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

  Partner Sites: Hawaii Blog Hawaii News Hawaii Grinds Hawaii Social Media  
    Blogging the Aloha State. The Hawaii Star. Hawaii Food Blog. The story of Aloha 2.0.