Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Bishop Street
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 25th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Kumu

Send a message via ICQ to D'Alani
Default Re: Walgreens in Hawaii?

Google "pickets at Walgreens" and you will find it's nationwide.
Old October 25th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to TuNnL Send a message via Yahoo to TuNnL
Lightbulb Re: Walgreens in Hawaii?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Alani View Post
Google "pickets at Walgreens" and you will find it's nationwide.
Thanks D'Alani! The links show the issues are lot more complicated then the potentially outdated info Kimo is referring to. I want to know why the union is protesting NOW, not a year ago. I’ll wait for an update from Tutu.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
USA TODAY, page 2A
11 March 1993
Old June 15th, 2011, 06:01 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to TuNnL Send a message via Yahoo to TuNnL
Thumbs down Re: Walgreens in Hawaii?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuNnL View Post
Thanks D'Alani! The links show the issues are lot more complicated then the potentially outdated info Kimo is referring to. I want to know why the union is protesting NOW, not a year ago. I’ll wait for an update from Tutu.
Well, eight months later, and still no update from Tutu. Be that as it may, there are more pressing matters at hand regarding Walgreens. Apparently, they were able to secure a lease in a prime Hawai‘i Kai location — Koko Marina Shopping Center. But the news is, at best, bittersweet, as the move means Foodland — Hawai‘i’s last and only local grocery chain — is getting kicked out after nearly 48 years.

Foodland gives way to new drugstore
Walgreens will move into the Hawaii Kai space the food store has held since 1963

By Kristen Consillio
POSTED: 01:30 a.m. HST, Jun 14, 2011
Quote:
After nearly five decades at Koko Marina Shopping Center, Foodland Super Market Ltd. will close its store there July 10 to make way for a Walgreens.

The state’s largest grocery retailer with 32 stores said it had worked diligently to renegotiate its lease during the last several years but failed.

“Unfortunately, our landlord has made the decision to lease our space to another retailer,” Foodland said in a statement Monday ...

“The closing of a store that has operated for nearly half a century is very difficult for us,” said Jenai Wall, Foodland chairman and chief executive officer, in a statement. “As a local company that truly cares about the communities it serves, we are devastated to have to leave this community after 47 years. Our customers are like family to us, and we will truly miss serving them at this store. We want to thank them for their patronage and support throughout all these years.”

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
USA TODAY, page 2A
11 March 1993
Old June 15th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
[...]I want to know why the union is protesting NOW, not a year ago. I’ll wait for an update from Tutu.
Quote:
Well, eight months later, and still no update from Tutu. [...]
I haven't been to Walgreens or near enough to read the signs in the last 8 months AND, more to the point...I'd forgotten about this thread. Out of sight, out of mind! ;^]

Anyway, I did go to Walgreen's about 10 days ago (but not via Keeaumoku) and the picketers and signs were there. I have no idea why the union is picketing now. Maybe they had advance notice of the Koko Marina site and are already pre-protesting cheap labor, mainland labor, whatever.
Old June 15th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Ali`i

Three or four picketers still show up at Walgreen's in Kaneohe at least three days a week, and they still have the same signs and banners protesting that Walgreen's didn't use union carpenters to help build the store(s). I've seen them in Kailua too.
The Kaneohe store has been open, what, two years now? And the union is still paying those picketers to stand around all day at various stores?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Old June 15th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Ali`i

It's just one hour since my post above. I just ran out on an errand and the picketers are there in front of Kaneohe Walgreen's right now.
Again.

Old June 15th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Ali`i

Question Paid Picketers - Re: Walgreens in Hawaii?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikaNui View Post
Three or four picketers still show up at Walgreen's in Kaneohe at least three days a week, and they still have the same signs and banners protesting that Walgreen's didn't use union carpenters to help build the store(s). I've seen them in Kailua too.
The Kaneohe store has been open, what, two years now? And the union is still paying those picketers to stand around all day at various stores?
Gee, I wonder if they are paid Union Scale for 'standing around?' Are they hiring? I'm good at standing around.
Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.
Old June 15th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Ali`i

The pickets show up in Kailua now and then . . .
Also, by the way, the Koko Marina folks are disputing Foodland's declaration that 'the landlord picked another tenant . . .'
KITV did a follow-up on the initial news reports.
Old June 15th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Ali`i

Ke Kalahea did a story about the Carpenters & Walgreens back in March.
Old June 15th, 2011, 09:50 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimo View Post
The pickets show up in Kailua now and then . . .
Also, by the way, the Koko Marina folks are disputing Foodland's declaration that 'the landlord picked another tenant . . .'
KITV did a follow-up on the initial news reports.
And Foodland followed up with a response to that, saying:

Quote:
"We are truly disappointed that rather than respond to the community they serve and take ownership for their decision, the Koko Marina Shopping Center management has decided to publicly misrepresent Foodland and its intentions. Foodland never accused the Koko Marina Shopping Center of being unwilling to negotiate a new lease with us. We simply stated the truth: 'over the last several years we have been working diligently to renegotiate our lease for our Hawaii Kai location' and 'unfortunately our landlord has made the decision to lease our space to another retailer.' Ultimately, the landlord makes the final decision of whom they will lease property to. We never 'walked away from the table' as Koko Marina claims, and it continues to be our strong desire to remain in Hawaii Kai," Foodland said in a statement.
It's not hard to figure out what is happening here. Walgreen's made an offer on Foodland's space in Hawaii Kai, and Foodland decided not to match it. So the shopping center decided not to extend Foodland's lease. That's the gist of it.

There's really no good guy and bad guy in this scenario. It's just business. When it comes to real estate in the retail sector, the landlord has every right to seek out the "highest and best use" of their commodity.

Shoppers in Hawaii Kai can grumble and say whatever they want about boycotting Walgreen's and Koko Marina shopping center. They can wax nostalgic about having a kama'aina tenant being replaced by some outside, mainland predator. But here's the ugly truth they don't want to face. Ever since Costco set up shop about a mile away, the volume of Foodland's business has been stagnant, at best. Young and growing families now do the bulk of their grocery shopping at those discount-membership stores. The only time they'll ever visit a supermarket is when they forgot to buy something at Costco. Foodland, Times, and Safeway are becoming increasingly reliant on older clientele who no longer have any young children to go shopping for.

The bottom line? Rather than the point of finger of blame at Walgreen's or Koko Marina shopping center for Foodland's departure, disgruntled Hawaii Kai shoppers with a Costco membership should take a good, hard look at themselves in the mirror.
Old June 15th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Ali`i

My, my.
When Safeway imposed itself on the Windward community, we all swore impotent oaths that we would support local venues rather than 'knuckling under' to mainland demagogues.

Now, 10 years later, we utilize Safeway often. Things change.
We utilize that which is financially helpful. Foodland's prices on most everything were over the top, excessive, and unnecessary. I'd rather shop Times, than Foodland, due to price.

Safeway gives us good prices. Times also has prices on certain items that beat anyone. Longs (now CVS) also has good prices.

We will shop where we can afford!
Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.
Old June 15th, 2011, 11:05 PM
Ali`i

I'm with you, Kaonohi. I almost always shop at Safeway here in Kaneohe.
As for Hawaii Kai, there's a Safeway just a block away from where Foodland is. Costco is right in between the two.
The best part about shopping at the Safeway in Hawaii Kai is that you can walk next door and have lunch at The Shack!

Old June 16th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Ali`i

I mostly shop at Safeway in addition to the KCC farmer's market. I notice that on holidays the picket line is not there and they pretty much keep the hours of 10-2 or 3 everyday. This in Kailua and Kaneohe. I always wonder why they
are still there at this point. I am not familiar with lots of construction practices, unions but surely aren't there other places they could find whatever work it is they do? I'd be irritated if I was married to one of them just standing around all day propped up on a yellow banner holding an umbrella. Just my opinion.
Old June 16th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by leashlaws View Post
I mostly shop at Safeway in addition to the KCC farmer's market. I notice that on holidays the picket line is not there and they pretty much keep the hours of 10-2 or 3 everyday. This in Kailua and Kaneohe. I always wonder why they
are still there at this point. I am not familiar with lots of construction practices, unions but surely aren't there other places they could find whatever work it is they do? I'd be irritated if I was married to one of them just standing around all day propped up on a yellow banner holding an umbrella. Just my opinion.
Oh no. The people standing behind that "Auwe!" sign are NOT union carpenters. At least, that's the case with the folks standing in front of the Walgreen's in Kalihi. They look like old retirees from the Philippines who have nothing much else to do. I'm sure they're getting paid a fee by the union for standing out there for X number of hours.

As for the unionized carpenters,.... there's no way any of them would waste their time protesting Walgreen's. Whatever those picketers get, I guarantee you that they're not getting paid anywhere close to $30 an hour, or whatever journeymen workers get these days.

And that, to me, is the reason why the general public has been indifferent to the Walgreen picketers. Those folks aren't union members, standing out there on principle. They're just old immigrants picked up from the street, looking to earn easy money. The union is just trying to embarass Walgreen's. Plain and simple. To me, those pickets are a waste of union funds. But if they want to continue this exercise in futility indefinitely, that's up to them.
Old June 16th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Ali`i

Well in Kaneohe & Kailua they are all young guys, 20's, 30's, 40's.
Old June 16th, 2011, 05:50 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by leashlaws View Post
Well in Kaneohe & Kailua they are all young guys, 20's, 30's, 40's.
I'll confirm that. And they sure look like union carpenters.

Old June 16th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
And they sure look like union carpenters.
I'd be curious as to that description - especially how you can tell the "union" part visually.
Old June 16th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
I'd be curious as to that description - especially how you can tell the "union" part visually.
Visually, they're holding signs implying that they're union carpenters. Plus their physical builds and attire make it pretty clear they're not 'street people' or bankers, whatever.
And orally, because when you pull into Walgreen's parking lot they sometimes yell at the cars that we should be supporting union carpenters.
I strongly doubt that the aforementinoed 'street people' would do that. But thanks for asking.

Old June 16th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Visually, they're holding signs implying that they're union carpenters. Plus their physical builds and attire make it pretty clear they're not 'street people' or bankers, whatever.
And orally, because when you pull into Walgreen's parking lot they sometimes yell at the cars that we should be supporting union carpenters.
I strongly doubt that the aforementinoed 'street people' would do that. But thanks for asking.
Very nice reply - you're right I've seen them yell at cars especially if they are in the Rx drive through lanes.
Old June 16th, 2011, 09:12 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
I strongly doubt that the aforementinoed 'street people' would do that.
Unless, of course, they are being paid to do so...
Old June 16th, 2011, 09:49 PM
Ali`i

Well, lo and behold. I stop by the Walgreen's in Kalihi earlier today. And yes, the tatas (who are usually standing around reading books) and nanas (with manicured hands that have never touched touched a hammer) have been replaced by 4 men who actually look the part. I'm guessing one of two things are happening here.

1) The brilliant minds at the carpenter's union have come to the belated realization that nobody had fallen for their ruse. (Ya think??? Duh!!!)

2) Construction industry is slow. So rather than sit around home doing nothing, out-of-work union members have decided to go to the pickets.

Quote:
Union members yelling at the customers? Nah, I didn't see any of that. But then again, this is Kalihi we're talking about. They're probably smart enough to know better than to antogonize the folks in that area. You never know when someone has a lot of "friends" who live in the housing projects nearby.
Old June 17th, 2011, 01:29 AM
Kumu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
Well, lo and behold. I stop by the Walgreen's in Kalihi earlier today. And yes, the tatas (who are usually standing around reading books) and nanas (with manicured hands that have never touched touched a hammer) have been replaced by 4 men who actually look the part. I'm guessing one of two things are happening here.

1) The brilliant minds at the carpenter's union have come to the belated realization that nobody had fallen for their ruse. (Ya think??? Duh!!!)

2) Construction industry is slow. So rather than sit around home doing nothing, out-of-work union members have decided to go to the pickets.

Union members yelling at the customers? Nah, I didn't see any of that. But then again, this is Kalihi we're talking about. They're probably smart enough to know better than to antogonize the folks in that area. You never know when someone has a lot of "friends" who live in the housing projects nearby.

If you are referring to the Walgreen.s across from Kapalama School I have never seen "tata's and nana's" behind those banners. I have always seen what look like carpenter union members. I live about three blocks away so I pass there almost daily.

I was born and raised in this area and still live here and Kalihi isn't what you make it seem.
Old June 17th, 2011, 02:01 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
If you are referring to the Walgreen.s across from Kapalama School I have never seen "tata's and nana's" behind those banners. I have always seen what look like carpenter union members. I live about three blocks away so I pass there almost daily.
I grew up in the area, too. Heck, I attended Kapalama School. And I live about a 5 minute drive away. So I completely stand by what I said earlier.

Quote:
I was born and raised in this area and still live here and Kalihi isn't what you make it seem.
I've never seen any of the picketers (whether it be the "ringers" or today's real-looking McCoys) ever call out to any of the customers going into and out of the Kalihi Walgreen's. The picketers just stand by at the banner and quietly talk amongst themselves or read their books, etc. And I say this, not as someone who merely drives past there, but as a customer who shops at Walgreen's once or twice a week.

Now maybe I'm totally off-base as to why the picketers at that particular location seem to mind their own business and not say anything to the customers walking around inside the parking lot. But the fact remains. About a one mile radius on either side of School Street is a housing project. (Lanakila and KPT.)

That, or maybe because the Carpenter's union hall is only a stone's throw away, and those guys don't want their cars or trucks to be vandalized. (Quite a number of the union members park right on Houghtailing St.)
Old June 17th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Kumu

Well FM if you're only 5 minutes away we may just be in the same neighborhood, I live two blocks above Helena's, born and raised there. I went to Lanakila School because the boundary was Aupuni St. back then, graduated FHS '65 and still feel that Kalihi isn't what it used to be, as far as being a bad area is concerned.
Old June 17th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Well FM if you're only 5 minutes away we may just be in the same neighborhood, I live two blocks above Helena's, born and raised there. I went to Lanakila School because the boundary was Aupuni St. back then, graduated FHS '65 and still feel that Kalihi isn't what it used to be, as far as being a bad area is concerned.
Then you went to FHS a little before I did. I can't make a comparison between what is was like 45 years ago and now. All I know is that there still are incidents that happen at the housing projects. Otherwise, you wouldn't have had a curfew like KVH did about a year ago. You wouldn't have had Oceanic Cable threatening to cut service at KPT because of their employees being harrassed over there. And needless to say, flare-ups and violence still occur from time-to-time between rival gangs at KPT, KVH, and Mayor Wright.

As far as the Walgreen picketers go,.... maybe my habit of stereotyping influenced my observations. It wouldn't be the first time. But I wasn't being faceticious when I talked about earlier picketers reading books and having what looked by manicures. It's easy enough to see the picketers close-up if one parks on the outer row of stalls on the corner of School and Makuahine.

One thing that I thought was a little peculiar from yesterday's picketers, now that I think about it. Those four guys all wore those bright yellow safety shirts that you often see workers use, whether it be on a construction site or on the road. I just thought that was a little strange, given that I stopped by Walgreen's at about 1 pm, so this was in the middle of the day and it's not likely they came from a job site. It's almost as if they are wearing those work shirts as if to emphasize to passer-bys now, "Hey everybody!!! We're carpenters. For real!!!" Now, for sure, earlier picketers weren't wearing the shirts.