Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Music 2008: Whadja Get?

CDs:
    • John Adams, Hallelujah Junction: A Nonesuch Retrospective Wish this collection were more than two discs, like the Steve Reich Phases box set.
    • unkie, too many secrets Not as many hooks as the first album but a scorching performance nonetheless.
    • Enya, And Winter Came Her Christmas EP for Target was far, far better
    • Guns N' Roses, Chinese Democracy See Wendy and Lisa below.

MP3:
    • Matt Alber, "Star of Wonder" I don't do Christmas music, but I do like Matt Alber.
    • Wendy & Lisa, White Flags of Winter Chimneys The 10-year wait for a new album by Wendy & Lisa is far more satisfying than a 15-year wait for Guns N' Roses.

Comment

Originally posted by NemesisVex View Post
      Wendy & Lisa, White Flags of Winter Chimneys The 10-year wait for a new album by Wendy & Lisa is far more satisfying than a 15-year wait for Guns N' Roses.
      Aw man. This one totally escaped my notice. I want it.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by NemesisVex View Post
        John Adams, Hallelujah Junction: A Nonesuch Retrospective Wish this collection were more than two discs, like the Steve Reich Phases box set.
        You need the 1999 10-disc "John Adams Earbox" from Nonesuch. They also did a 10-disc Reich box back in 1997.

Did you also get Adams' book by the same name? I think I'll wait for it to come out in paperback.

Comment

Esperanza Spalding: "Esperanza" - young jazz bassist/singer from Portland, OR - very Brazilian in flavor, the interplay between bass and piano is astounding.

Niño Josele: "Paz" - Spanish nuevo flamenco guitarist takes on pieces by/associated with jazz pianist Bill Evans; his version of "Peace Piece" is hauntingly beautiful.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
            You need the 1999 10-disc "John Adams Earbox" from Nonesuch. They also did a 10-disc Reich box back in 1997.

Did you also get Adams' book by the same name? I think I'll wait for it to come out in paperback.
            Boy do I reply late!

I'm waiting for Adams' autobiography to come out on paperback before I read it. I like Adams, but not enough to devote shelf space for the Earbox.

I like what Nonesuch did for Steve Reich in releasing Phases, which is a 5-disc budget set. It contained complete works, but it was not exhaustive like the similar 10-disc box for Reich. I bet if the Philip Glass set gets a budget box version, it too would be more substantive than Hallelujah Junction.

Of course, the liner notes of Hallelujah Junction consists of nothing but excerpts from the book, so it's really little more than a soundtrack.

Comment

Working...
            X