Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Circuit Circus
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old June 10th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Kumu

Send a message via AIM to LocalMotion
Default Re: Apple Announcements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel View Post
If the iPod Touch continues at the present price and the iPhone is selling for less, it spells doom for the iPod Touch... unless Apple lowers the price of that device.
you don't need a 2yr contract to buy a Touch, and there are many people that don't want AT&T or need a smartphone...

BUT. it the $100 price different converts some Touch buyers to the iPhone, that's good for Apple since the iPhone is now going to become the biggest device for Apple.
Old June 11th, 2008, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalMotion View Post
you don't need a 2yr contract to buy a Touch, and there are many people that don't want AT&T or need a smartphone...

BUT. it the $100 price different converts some Touch buyers to the iPhone, that's good for Apple since the iPhone is now going to become the biggest device for Apple.
But the iPod Touch is not a phone. It is not as feature laden as the phone. The price should be lowered. At least on the low end model... with the other ones falling in-between the higher and lower end models of the iPhone. It should happen or Apple will see their iPod Touch sales dry up.

I prefer to buy devices that only require a one time cost up front and not be tied to a $ubscription plan like a cell phone. I am one of the few who are defiantly "cell phone-less" and I love it.

Anyway, we'll see what happens in the coming weeks. Maybe Apple will slide the price of the iPod Touch down.

For those people who did not buy an iPhone when they first came out, and who want one now, it may be a good time to get one, though the plan from AT&T is still pricey.
Old June 11th, 2008, 03:42 AM
Kia`aina

man, i want the new iPhone, but I still have a year left on my tmobile contract!

Old June 11th, 2008, 06:17 AM
Ali`i

Gad, it took me forever to get untangled from ATT. That's the biggest turnoff about the iPhone.
Old June 11th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Kumu

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz1941 View Post
Gad, it took me forever to get untangled from ATT. That's the biggest turnoff about the iPhone.
on a serious note, what was so bad about AT&T?

i've had them for the past 4 yrs. never a problem. great reception everywhere i go and no billing issues. on the contrary i hear horror stories about Sprint (don't know first hand) and the data speeds on tmobile are the slowest
Old June 11th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Ali`i

We had ATT for long-distance service, which was too expensive, but when we tried to stop service, they simply refused and kept billing us, even though we were no longer connected. It took months and we nearly got the state office of consumer complaint involved.
Old June 11th, 2008, 09:17 PM

Quote:
We had ATT for long-distance service, which was too expensive, but when we tried to stop service, they simply refused and kept billing us, even though we were no longer connected. It took months and we nearly got the state office of consumer complaint involved.
I had a similar problem with AT&T long distance landline service. It took me months to get rid of it after calling customer service several times and sending out snail mails. Very frustrating. I never want to do business with them again.
Old June 12th, 2008, 04:59 AM
Ali`i

They actually yelled at us that we were not allowed to cancel their service!
Old June 12th, 2008, 05:51 AM
Kumu

Quote:
on a serious note, what was so bad about AT&T?

i've had them for the past 4 yrs. never a problem. great reception everywhere i go and no billing issues. on the contrary i hear horror stories about Sprint (don't know first hand) and the data speeds on tmobile are the slowest
I've been with Sprint for more than five years, without any complaint, however I realize that my experience is uncommon. Sprint has reasonable rates, consistent reception, data speeds are fast enough for this impatient customer, and they offer a good selection of phones.

At $199 I was more than 75% sure that I was purchasing the new iPhone, but after reviewing the plans I've changed my mind.

Old June 12th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Kumu

Quote:
They actually yelled at us that we were not allowed to cancel their service!
that could actually be true.

Nowadays the local phone company puts a restriction on the line so the long distance can't be changed without you authorizing it through the local phone company. In hawaii that would most likely be Hawaiian Tel.

This was done to combat the problem of "slamming" that went rampant in the late 90's early 00's where any company could send a notice to the phone company to change your carrier, they would change it, even if you never authorized it...
Old July 9th, 2008, 01:00 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon

iPhone 3G debuts on Friday at 8 a.m. With it comes the new App Store (for both original and 3G models as well as the iPod Touch), and MobileMe, the new name for .Mac with dock-free syncing and double the storage, as well as push-email for the iPhone.

I think the App Store and the new software for iPhone will keep the original iPhones valuable and useful, and the higher price for AT&T plans make the iPhone 3G a weak deal. I don't think I want an iPhone 3G as a result... but I'm wondering how I'll feel after I actually get to play with one. 3G speeds is three to five times faster than EDGE, and that's gotta be noticable!
Old July 9th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Kumu

yeah i'm trying to decide if i want a white or black one. being the new case is plastic (will get better reception), i think the white would be better show it won't show fingerprints and scratches as much.

As much as i use the net with the iphone, i'm sure i'll want the greater speeds the 3G provides. Downloading pages in 1/3 the time will be great. I'm really looking forward to the MobileMe. as a .Mac user it will be great to finally have push services, OTA syncing for contacts, address, cal, etc... I use my calendar and address book a lot on my Mac and forget to sync my iphone most of the time, so i'm without the latest updates I made.

Still trying to decide if i'm going to be there on day one or wait a week or so...
Old July 10th, 2008, 02:24 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to zztype

Nah, I think pzarquon has it right. I don't want a 3g. The plan costs more and you don't get that much more. I am happy at 2g whenever I am away from 802.11.

Actually, I'm looking for a used g2 4 gig model or two for my wife and kid. We have had ATT for years. Simply pull SIM chip from old phone, stick in iPhone and you're in business.

No contract hassles. Add the $20 iPhone rider to their phones and everybody happy.
Old July 10th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Kumu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miulang View Post
Cisco's worth a hell of a lot more than Apple, and Cisco is still trying to keep up with Microsoft. So if Cisco can eventually "take over" everything but the computer (hardware) part of Apple, that would be a good thing for them. They need to look for ways to break into the consumer market. Right now, most of their business is in the business sector.

Miulang
Eh? Didn't Cisco acquire Linksys ~five years ago? I think they're doing just fine when it comes to the consumer market penetration, thank you.

Quote:
The Mac Mini has always had at least 1 firewire port.

While the new iMacs look pretty cool what some Apple fans like me are missing is a midrange mini-tower, similar to the long discontinued Power Mac G4 towers but of course with the latest processors. This would be for those who can't afford the really expensive MacPro but want the expandability and flexibility a tower has vs. that of an all in one iMac.
Ahh, you want an Open Computer! $399 ain't a shabby deal for a 2GHz dual-core box with 2GB/250GB to run Leopard on.

Quote:
I had the same experience back in the 90s. Oddly enough, my circular route through all the wireless carriers (I started off with HonCel) has left me feeling mostly sweet on AT&T Wireless. Accurate billing, $19/mo unlimited HSDPA, the widest phone selection, the most bars (for where I work/live) and a tidy corporate discount on my monthly do it for me.

Just out of curiosity though, I priced a 3G iPhone package. I might have considered the new belt bling had my service plan been transferable. But I couldn't justify paying the price of admission plus $10 more a month for the same data plan simply to get a better OS and screen. I'm holding on to my HTC Trinity at least until the verdicts are in on the HTC Touch Diamond and Blackberry Thunder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzarquon View Post
iPhone 3G debuts on Friday at 8 a.m. With it comes the new App Store (for both original and 3G models as well as the iPod Touch), and MobileMe, the new name for .Mac with dock-free syncing and double the storage, as well as push-email for the iPhone.

I think the App Store and the new software for iPhone will keep the original iPhones valuable and useful, and the higher price for AT&T plans make the iPhone 3G a weak deal. I don't think I want an iPhone 3G as a result... but I'm wondering how I'll feel after I actually get to play with one. 3G speeds is three to five times faster than EDGE, and that's gotta be noticable!
I think Apple disappoints by making their customers pay extra for the TomTom s/w to use with the gps on the new iPhone. TomTom Navigator 6 came free with my phone and proved invaluable on our last trip to Oregon. Real-time traffic indicators and dynamic re-routing make a huge difference when you're trying to make time with a 120-mile drive ahead of you, heavy rain on top of you and a hungry stomach inside you.

As for 3G (3.5G, technically), the difference is almost as dramatic as the divide between dial-up and broadband. Streaming video looks good, even in a moving car. And what better time is there to be watching Japanese game shows?
Old July 10th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Kumu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedPlateBroker View Post
Just out of curiosity though, I priced a 3G iPhone package. I might have considered the new belt bling had my service plan been transferable. But I couldn't justify paying the price of admission plus $10 more a month for the same data plan simply to get a better OS and screen.

As for 3G (3.5G, technically), the difference is almost as dramatic as the divide between dial-up and broadband. Streaming video looks good, even in a moving car. And what better time is there to be watching Japanese game shows?
I think you just justified the price increase yourself. The $10 is to upgrade from EDGE (dial-up) to 3G (broadband).
Old July 10th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Kumu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miulang View Post
Cisco's worth a hell of a lot more than Apple, and Cisco is still trying to keep up with Microsoft. So if Cisco can eventually "take over" everything but the computer (hardware) part of Apple, that would be a good thing for them. They need to look for ways to break into the consumer market. Right now, most of their business is in the business sector.

Miulang

Uh..maybe years ago that might have been true... Maybe Apple should be buying Cisco. (not that i would ever want Apple to do that)

Apple's Market Cap: $151 billion
Cisco's Market Cap: $129 billion
Old July 10th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Ali`i

I'm going to go for the 2.0 upgrade and see how it goes with my 8G as I slowly explore the APP store. I might take them up on the offer to get the new iPhone if I feel the need. I wonder how long they'll dangle that carrot? I have 2.7 GB remaining/available.
Old July 10th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Ali`i

In another thread I occasionally post polls from CNN.com's website, but I figured this one should be posted here.
From a few minutes ago:
Quote:
Do you have, or do you plan to buy, an iPhone?

Yes... 13%... 21,237

No... 87%... 138,994

Total Votes: 160,231

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Old July 10th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Kumu

Quote:
I think you just justified the price increase yourself. The $10 is to upgrade from EDGE (dial-up) to 3G (broadband).
That spiel only makes sense to current iPhone and 2G handset owners. I already have unlimited mobile broadband and 200 text messages for $19/mo. A service downgrade for $10 more a month? No thanks ... not unless the 3G iPhone includes personal cloaking technology or a transporter.
Old July 10th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Kumu

Quote:
That spiel only makes sense to current iPhone and 2G handset owners. I already have unlimited mobile broadband and 200 text messages for $19/mo. A service downgrade for $10 more a month? No thanks ... not unless the 3G iPhone includes personal cloaking technology or a transporter.
That spiel? you're the one who said how dramatic the difference was between 2G and 3.5G

Also the new 2.0 software has AIM as a app. you can text aim buddies or send SMS through it with no SMS charges.
Old July 10th, 2008, 10:28 PM
Kumu

"Spiel" as in any AT&T rep will tell you that it's $10 more for 3G service on the new iPhone.
The point I was making is that AT&T already offers 3G service to non-iPhoners at $15/mo (I pay $19.99/mo for my bundle w/200 txts). So yeah, they lure you in with the pretty OS, large screen and promise of better Internet surf, but you get stuck paying $10-15 more than every other iPhone-less 3G subscriber as the cost of 3G iPhone ownership. I'm sure it goes toward the subsidy AT&T must be extending to new subscribers/iPhone buyers, but I prefer to pay a little more up front than to get hit on the monthly.
Old July 11th, 2008, 01:08 AM
Kumu

Quote:
"Spiel" as in any AT&T rep will tell you that it's $10 more for 3G service on the new iPhone.
The point I was making is that AT&T already offers 3G service to non-iPhoners at $15/mo (I pay $19.99/mo for my bundle w/200 txts). So yeah, they lure you in with the pretty OS, large screen and promise of better Internet surf, but you get stuck paying $10-15 more than every other iPhone-less 3G subscriber as the cost of 3G iPhone ownership. I'm sure it goes toward the subsidy AT&T must be extending to new subscribers/iPhone buyers, but I prefer to pay a little more up front than to get hit on the monthly.
Comparing a MediaNet plan to a full data plan is not comparing apples to apples. Even the Blackberry plan is $30 for data.

Also with the 3G iPhones plans you can get your FAN discount, which you couldn't get with the 2G plans. if you work for the GOVT the disc is 25% off the total bill. Some 2G customer will actually be saving money by upgrading to the new 3G plans (since they didn't offer FAN discs on 2G plans)

Most major employers and schools have a FAN account, a lot of people don't realize it.
Old July 11th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Ali`i

I went to meet PZ at Ala Moana (Apple Store). Found him right in front of the store in line with many others. I went to get him breakfast at Mcdonalds. When I came back the line was reaching the Ala Moana Center Stage area. Ukapila people! Apple Store are well organized. They provided StarBucks Coffee.

Auntie Lynn
Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Old July 11th, 2008, 01:10 PM

Waiting in line for a brand new iPhone, new Mac or whatever is silly. The same items will be on sale tomorrow, next week, next month, Christmas and next year.
Old July 11th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Waiting in line for a brand new iPhone, new Mac or whatever is silly. The same items will be on sale tomorrow, next week, next month, Christmas and next year.
Life is SHORT.

If you have the time and kala to do what you want to do...why not?

You know song:
"If you like Pina Coladas, and getting caught in the rain.
If you're not into yoga, if you have half-a-brain.
If you like making love at midnight, in the dunes of the cape.
I'm the lady you've looked for, write to me, and escape."

Have a great day Mel!

Auntie Lynn
Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.