Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Circuit Circus
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old August 8th, 2007, 08:47 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon
Thumbs up Re: Apple Announcements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
Does the new keyboard work with a non-intel Mac?
I'm thinking they should. I know people who bought Apple's USB keyboards to use on Windows machines! A USB keyboard is generally a USB keyboard.

The only caveat is, it sounds like this new keyboard has some buttons dedicated to specific software functions that may only exist in current versions of OSX. Perhaps the keyboard will come with a driver that will let you change/assign what these buttons do, or maybe they'll just be nonfunctional, but the majority of what you need a basic keyboard for will be covered.
Old August 8th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Banned

Default Re: Apple Announcements

I'm excited that Apple beefed up the storage space they provide with .Mac accounts.

10 GB of storage (plus all the other .Mac amenities) for $99 a year? That might be enough to get me to sign up.
Old August 8th, 2007, 09:00 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzarquon View Post
I'm thinking they should. I know people who bought Apple's USB keyboards to use on Windows machines! A USB keyboard is generally a USB keyboard.

The only caveat is, it sounds like this new keyboard has some buttons dedicated to specific software functions that may only exist in current versions of OSX. Perhaps the keyboard will come with a driver that will let you change/assign what these buttons do, or maybe they'll just be nonfunctional, but the majority of what you need a basic keyboard for will be covered.
I was kinda looking at the wireless version and the Mighty Mouse thinking how nice it would be to hook up my laptop to my new 40" TV then sit across the room on a comfy sofa with the keyboard, mouse and a great, big screen! Yes, the height of laziness!

I did notice that the OS requirement is 10.4.10 which I have.
Old August 9th, 2007, 12:20 AM
Kia`aina

Quote:
I think most folks are more excited about the software updates than the hardware revisions. iMovie in particular could be a big deal (as if it wasn't already in the consumer video space). And Pages, their layout app, is simplified to be a decent word processor. Numbers? It ain't no Excel in power, but in usability? It could be awesome.
The big thing with iMovie '08 is the ability to import from AVCHD, the format which hard-drive cameras use. I returned a Sony HD camcorder last year after finding out the hard way that it wasn't supported. This is really, really great news.

I'm looking forward to Numbers, as well. I used to enjoy AppleWorks, with its spreadsheet, word processing, drawing, painting and database apps. I made such great use of the DB part of AppleWorks... wonder when they'll bring that back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
I was kinda looking at the wireless version and the Mighty Mouse thinking how nice it would be to hook up my laptop to my new 40" TV then sit across the room on a comfy sofa with the keyboard, mouse and a great, big screen! Yes, the height of laziness!
Imagine the luxury of wearing one of those monitor/goggle thingies. You could just plop yourself in bed, lying down and watching movies, surfing the web, playing sudoku...
Old August 9th, 2007, 12:42 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to adrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ogata View Post
Imagine the luxury of wearing one of those monitor/goggle thingies. You could just plop yourself in bed, lying down and watching movies, surfing the web, playing sudoku...
Implant them onto glasses, and you can call me a real geek.
Old August 9th, 2007, 01:16 AM

The Mac Mini has always had at least 1 firewire port.

While the new iMacs look pretty cool what some Apple fans like me are missing is a midrange mini-tower, similar to the long discontinued Power Mac G4 towers but of course with the latest processors. This would be for those who can't afford the really expensive MacPro but want the expandability and flexibility a tower has vs. that of an all in one iMac.
Old August 9th, 2007, 01:24 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ogata View Post
[...]Imagine the luxury of wearing one of those monitor/goggle thingies. You could just plop yourself in bed, lying down and watching movies, surfing the web, playing sudoku...
I've tried the goggle thingies as a means to watch an on set monitor without standing in the midst of a gaggle of producers/crew/etc. I'll still opt for the big screen tv and the sofa. The sofa and the bed are one and the same!
Old January 15th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon
Exclamation Re: Apple Announcements

Steve Jobs' keynote at MacWorld is on now.

New Airport Extreme with hard drive. New software for iPhones and the iPod Touch. Movie rentals via iTunes. Upgrades for Apple TV...
Old January 15th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Ali`i

Talking Re: Apple Announcements

What've we got?

MacBook Air. The world's thinnest notebook. 0.16" to 0.76" thick, 13.1" screen, 1.6MHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 80GB HD, five-hour battery life, $1799. Ships in two weeks. Beautiful.

iTunes Movie Rentals. Touchstone, Mirimax, MGM, Lionsgate, Newline, Fox, WB, Disney, Paramount, Universal & Sony are all on board. Available today.

Apple TV Upgrades. Shop and buy music or movies directly from your couch -- no computer required (finally!). Built-in, better audio and video podcast support. DVD- or HD-quality movie rentals. Photo slideshows off the web (Flickr and .Mac). Price drop to $229 (from $299) and a new 160GB model.

iPhone Software Update. Free software update that adds customizable home screen (including adding websites as icons, like Twitter!), geolocation on Google Maps, multi-contact SMS, and other goodies. SDK due on February.

iPod Touch Software Update. For $20 (?), you get Mail, Stocks, Notes, Weather, and Maps.

Airport Extreme Base Station with Hard Drive. 500GB - $299, 1TB - $499.
Old January 15th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Kia`aina

Send a message via AIM to sophielynette

I'm excited for the iPhone software update. Geolocation! The MacBook Air looks really neat too. I was saying on another forum that it would be the perfect thing to take back and forth to school as a supplement to a main computer.
Old January 15th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to scrivener Send a message via Yahoo to scrivener

Quote:
iTunes Movie Rentals. Touchstone, Mirimax, MGM, Lionsgate, Newline, Fox, WB, Disney, Paramount, Universal & Sony are all on board. Available today.
I read somewhere that rentals aren't available until February. I looked for a rental option at the iTunes store, and couldn't find one.
Old January 15th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Ali`i

I am guessing that the $20 iPod Touch upgrade must be purchased through the iTunes Store. But what if you don't want to set up an iTunes Store account? Is it possible to buy a $20 iTunes gift card and just use that, without registering?
Old January 15th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Ali`i

Wink Re: Apple Announcements

You may be right. The iTunes and QuickTime software updates that are required to facilitate rentals are available now, but I guess they haven't flipped the switch in the store.

The updated iPhone software is available now, and I had it installed within an hour of the end of the keynote. The wiggly icons are pretty neat, and I've already created a page of web links adjacent to my home screen. And the geolocating Google Maps app is pretty cool, too. Pretty much nails the neighborhood using only AT&T cellular towers.

I'm hoping the Apple TV software update is also available today. I guess I'll have to wait until I get home to check.

If and when rentals come online, it's going to be a real test in our living room. Tivo+Amazon Unbox, Vudu, or Apple TV for movies? I gotta say, I'm glad to have all this competition in the living room, finally, fighting the cable companies.

As for the MacBook Air? Sexy! I've always been a fan of ultralight laptops (one of my favorite machines ever was an early generation Sony Vaio 505 series). I got it when I worked at a job with a lot of travel, and I loved being able to slip it anywhere you'd slip a couple of magazines. As long as you've got a "main" computer, I think the MacBook Air is a winner. No user replaceable battery (but Apple can replace it for the same price as a MacBook battery), and all the specs are frozen (no upgrades)... but people who do a lot of mobile computing will find it hard to resist!
Old January 15th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to zztype

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
I am guessing that the $20 iPod Touch upgrade must be purchased through the iTunes Store. But what if you don't want to set up an iTunes Store account? Is it possible to buy a $20 iTunes gift card and just use that, without registering?
No, you have to set up an account. Even if you have a gift card, in order to use it, you must set up an account. The purchases are tied to the account used to purchase them.

And (note to others) rentals were promised by the end of February.
Old January 16th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to scrivener Send a message via Yahoo to scrivener

Rentals are available in the iTunes store now. I'm currently downloading Ratatouille for $3.99. It's 1.27 GB.
Old June 9th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Ali`i

Exclamation Re: Apple Announcements

In about ten minutes, the "Stevenote" -- Steve Jobs' keynote -- will begin at the Worldwide Developers Conference. The usual geek frenzy has been building for weeks in anticipation of what might be announced, notably iPhone 2.0. Live internet covrage from MacRumors.com, Engadget, and Gizmodo. Let's see what turns up.
Old June 9th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Ali`i

Looks like a cheaper iPhone with longer battery life and faster network speeds. Also possibly offering more business apps to compete with Blackberry. How do early adopters feel? This will be half of the original cost now right?
Old June 9th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Keiki

Also looks like a higher media package price from AT&T. You end up paying more in the end.
Old June 10th, 2008, 12:22 AM
Luna

MobileMe sounds like exactly what I have been looking for. Syncs with iCal and Outlook? If it can sync with Google Calendars too, then I am so there.

Now, to wait for the actual product to see if the reality matches the promises.
Old June 10th, 2008, 01:59 AM

Something is wrong in Cupertino when the new generation iPhone are cheaper than the iPod Touch....
Old June 10th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Kanaka

Send a message via Yahoo to Quark

Apple must be getting a cut off the service fees to be lower priced than the iPod Touch. Has anyone seen what the month service fee will be for the iPhone?
Old June 10th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quark View Post
Apple must be getting a cut off the service fees to be lower priced than the iPod Touch. Has anyone seen what the month service fee will be for the iPhone?
This from the San Francisco Chronicle:

"AT&T remains the iPhone's exclusive service provider in the United States, with a two-year contract. It will offer voice plans starting at $39.99 per month plus unlimited 3G Internet service for $30 a month. That's a $10 increase from the cheapest plan for the earlier iPhone."
Old June 10th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Kanaka

Send a message via Yahoo to Quark

Thanks Honoruru. I guess that is the price for hi-speed internet where ever you go with your iPhone. Looks like I will be sticking to my limited wifi access iPod Touch.
Old June 10th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Kumu

Send a message via AIM to LocalMotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel
Something is wrong in Cupertino when the new generation iPhone are cheaper than the iPod Touch...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quark View Post
Apple is still getting full price for the phone. AT&T is subsidizing it upfront with a 2-yr deal like they do other phones, it's just not being advertised that way. they gave up the revenue sharing to let AT&T subsidize it. they are looking to really get this phone in everyones hand. the $199 price point is amazing for this phone, and the analyst agree.

Now you HAVE to activate in the store (apple or att). they will not be sold online.

People that questioned apple goal of 10 million by the end of 2008 were thinking VERY short sighted. This phone will be sold in 70 countries in time for back to school and christmas
Old June 10th, 2008, 11:31 PM

If the iPod Touch continues at the present price and the iPhone is selling for less, it spells doom for the iPod Touch... unless Apple lowers the price of that device.