This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 3

QE 2, is on its way to town, first stop Honolulu, Second stop Lahaina, then on to the Big Island.
    Maybe try stop Kahului Harbor instead, try blend in with NCL cruise ships, Matson and YB barge`s. LoLo, Honolulu Harbor built to handle, Kahului Harbor, NO CAN!!!!
    bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Just got back from Lahaina, checking out the QE2, braddah the bugga is huge. Drive up to Lahainaluna High School and the site of the ship is unreal. Kona bound next, check it out guy`s. UNREAL!!!! OGGBOY
      bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

SORRY, IT`S QM2..... (TRY FOCUS OGGBOY)
        bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Gee, what happened to the Superferry? Folks at the State Legislature are wondering, too. They're saying they will cut back on the funds allocated for harbors improvement if the Superferry people aren't more responsive to the public's concerns.

Comment

Obviously something fishy is going on. On Maui, there was a public hearing scheduled, but the Superferry representatives declined to attend, claiming that they were invited at the last minute (um, why would you hold a public hearing about the Superferry and NOT invite representatives of the Superferry to be there to answer questions?). Then they claim that they have set up community panels on each island to act as an advisory board and then refuse to say who those people are (what are they afraid of? That irate local citizens are going to threaten bodily harm to those selected community members?) I think if the State is going to appropriate $20 million to help ensure that there is adequate infrastructure to support the Superferry that the citizens in each of the communities are entitled to have answers to their concerns and also should have the right to know who Garibaldi et al are choosing to have as representatives on that advisory board from that community.

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
              Then they claim that they have set up community panels on each island to act as an advisory board and then refuse to say who those people are
              That's not correct, Miulang. They have released the names of those people. It's just that they're adding more people to the various advisory boards, so the lists are understandably incomplete.
              While there may be legitmate questions and concerns on the SuperFerry issue, let's be fair to both sides of the topic.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                That's not correct, Miulang. They have released the names of those people. It's just that they're adding more people to the various advisory boards, so the lists are understandably incomplete.
                While there may be legitmate questions and concerns on the SuperFerry issue, let's be fair to both sides of the topic.
                No they HAVEN'T released the names of the current advisory board members yet (at least not on Maui, anyway).The names of the people on the advisory board that are mentioned is because those individuals themselves acknowledged that they are on that board. Stooperferry won't officially release the list until ALL the members have been chosen, and who knows when that will happen. If I was Garibaldi, I wouldn't make that list known until I was forced to do so, because I have a sneaky feeling that some of the people chosen might be perceived by the community as having some vested interest--as in financial--in the success of the Superferry. Why else would they be reluctant to release the names of the people already on the advisory board? That board was supposed to have met twice already.

Miulang
                Last edited by Miulang; April 6, 2006, 11:25 AM.
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

No they HAVEN'T released the names of the current advisory board members yet (at least not on Maui, anyway).The names of the people on the advisory board that are mentioned is because those individuals themselves acknowledged that they are on that board.
                  Those two sentences contradict each other.

But at least you admit that the names are indeed out there.

I have a sneaky feeling that some of the people chosen might be perceived by the community as having some vested interest --as in financial--in the success of the Superferry.
                  You're implying that the SuperFerry officials and the advisory board members are just plain stupid, which is ludicrous. It's inherently obvious that anyone and everyone on those boards will have their backgrounds thoroughly checked by government types and by the media. One would have to be an idiot to have a vested interested and still join the advisory board.
                  And while we're on the 'vested interest' topic... it's already been shown that some of the SuperFerry's most vocal detractors have a vested interest in seeing the SuperFerry not come to pass.
                  Interisland airlines and interisland barge companies head the list of detractors. And it's not the whales they're worried about.

Comment

I'm not the only one who thinks it odd that some of the members of the advisory board have "outted" themselves without Garibaldi et al officially acknowledging that they are indeed members of the advisory board. A blog entry in Poinography came up with an interesting observation: maybe the 2 members who have publicly identified themselves as members of the advisory board are the ONLY members currently on the advisory board, and if that's the case, it would be really interesting to be a fly on the wall of the conference room where they had their first two meetings!

Miulang

P.S. If you take a gander at the Superferry Board of Directors, you will note that it is loaded with people who run large corporations like ML&P, Grove Farm and a bunch of people who work for JF Lehman. It would be far more transparent if they put some community leaders on THIS board too, where they would have some clout, rather than only on "advisory boards" which, to me, are only window dressing to appease the rabble but who have no power to influence anything. Also note the Navy connection of many of the Board members. It was rumored that Hawaii Superferry was negotiating with the DoD to provide passage for troops and equipment to get from Oahu to Pohakuloa. And if they got such a contract, would non military passengers have to travel on a standby basis?
                    Last edited by Miulang; April 6, 2006, 05:35 PM.

Comment

As far as I read, the Super Ferry folks have become increasingly evasive
                      in addressing the communities concerns ? What do they have to hide ?
                      I believe the people expressing concerns have legitimate reason to say
                      something. Sure maybe the inter island airlines and barges are behind it ?

But until there is proof that is case,I'll believe that these community concerns
                      are valid. Especially from my view the increased traffic, inadequate port infrastructure and possibility of alien species being transported between the islands are on the top of list as concerns. It doesn't help that the super ferry
                      folks are being evasive in addressing these issues.
                      Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                      The Kona Blog

Comment

There are at least four known members of the community advisory board at this time. See this post on my blog.

How many total members on the community advisory board? Dunno. How many more to add? Dunno. They've met a few times already. When do they meet, what did they talk about, what do they intend to talk about in the future? Dunno.

A series of private meeting with unknown participants and no public input (or agenda, or minutes) is supposed to satisfy the concerns of the opponents? Big surprise that they are not satisfied.

Comment

If you take a gander at the Superferry Board of Directors, you will note that it is loaded with people who run large corporations like ML&P, Grove Farm and a bunch of people who work for JF Lehman. It would be far more transparent if they put some community leaders on THIS board too
                          I'm sorry, Miulang, but I have to say that while that would be nice, it's simply naive. Of course the Board will be comprised of "people who run large corporations"! Many of those people on the Board are the ones who are providing millions and millions of dollars to finance the project. (The two ferries alone cost, what, $40 million each?) And like every other corporation on the planet, the investors are on the Board to help protect their investment. Anyone who complains about those people being on the Board is just silly.
                          As I keep saying, there are indeed questions to be answered, but it behooves us to be fair and reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                            I'm sorry, Miulang, but I have to say that while that would be nice, it's simply naive. Of course the Board will be comprised of "people who run large corporations"! Many of those people on the Board are the ones who are providing millions and millions of dollars to finance the project. (The two ferries alone cost, what, $40 million each?) And like every other corporation on the planet, the investors are on the Board to help protect their investment. Anyone who complains about those people being on the Board is just silly.
                            As I keep saying, there are indeed questions to be answered, but it behooves us to be fair and reasonable.
                            Being fair and reasonable means Hawai'i Superferry should disclose formally ALL the names of the people on their advisory board pronto. They should be conferring with the Legislature and there should be sunshine on their process. I don't trust them to do the "right" thing because we ALL know they're only in it for the money. That's the role of business. And it's the role of the citizens if that business is partially subsidized by their tax money to be able to know what their money is buying.

I'm not being silly; I'm just asking for due diligence, which you can't have if one of the parties refuses full disclosure, which is what Hawai'i Stooperferry has been doing of late. If Garibaldi et al really were akamai, they would be forthcoming with all the names on the advisory board NOW and then also promise to include representatives from that advisory board or other community leaders on the voting Board of Directors once the project is in business to provide the checks and balances to ensure that the project doesn't end up only either supporting big business or the military rather than the local tax payers of Hawai'i. Recommendations from advisory boards will do squat if the boys with the big sticks don't agree with those recommendations anyway. The only way to have clout is to be at the same table as the boys with the big sticks.

Miulang

Comment

anyone see this?
                              http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...604060359.html
                              www.raceeventshawaii.com

Comment

Originally posted by kilikopela
                                anyone see this?
                                Yep. Scan back several messages and you'll see that that's what started this recent round of discussions.

Comment

Working...
                                X