Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fireworks and July 4th!

Originally posted by MadAzza
    I'm curious to see if certain people come out of the woodwork to scream "bigot" at you, the way they did at me a couple of months ago for some comments I made about hypocrites abusing their government assistance.

I certainly hope they have a bit more class this time.

I'm still at work and was listening to/watching the fireworks across the street a little while ago. Holiday starts early for some!

Take care, Auntie -- I hope your lungs don't get too stressed out from all the smoke.
    Me a bigot? I no tink so. I'm poor and I live in the mist of what I said. I stand by my words. Anybody call me a bigot...it's their right.

I know first hand what is going on the in the Poor Neighborhoods cause I live in it! I have to put up with the crap everyday. Can I make a change? Not alone...but with other voices I can.

Watch me.

I'm running for President of The MWH Tenant Association Board.

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

My hunny Panzo posted these thoughts about the true patriots of this country on his blog...the 56 "radical fanatics" who created the Constitution of the United States...the ones who had the courage to create a document that has withstood the test of time.

"As we stand poised upon yet another national holiday that has been co-opted by shoe sales and mindless entertainment, my prayer is that we can take a moment to remember those who have allowed us to enjoy the freedom we enjoy today: the representatives of the original thirteen states who declared America's independence from Britain.

Before the shot heard 'round the world was fired, before the Constitution was written, before the military's job decription was twisted into "national avenging angel", before politics was two sides that decided policy based upon which lied the most, a fledgling United States freed herself from the tyranny of Great Britain with her collective reason. Fifty-six "radicals" (the Second Continental Congress) decided that governments should derive their power from the people they govern and that the basic dignity every human has meant that good people deserved a good government.

This is the bedrock of our freedom. This is the catalyst of our liberty. Belief in the ideas contained within especially the preamble to the Declaration is what made this country free and it's what keeps her free today. Not guns, not politicians or political affiliations, not low prices, not big screen TVs, not Welfare or Social Security or a good job, not smooth roads and secure air travel, not 3 easy payments of only $39.99, not a nice home in the suburbs, an SUV and 2.3 children.

What keeps America free is her citizen's continued belief that:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

Thank God for the 56 radical men who pledged their lives and fortunes for the sake of freedom."

Amen to that.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
        "As we stand poised upon yet another national holiday that has been co-opted by shoe sales and mindless entertainment,
        hey, waiddammminnniiiit!
        now, we at bayfest, it being held at Kaneohe base, even during this mindless entertainment ARE mindfull enuff to "take a moment to remember those who have allowed us to enjoy the freedom we enjoy today"
        during the performances onstage, there is a decidedly patriotic feel, shout outs and definite nods to our gals and guys in arms.
        whoootah.
        youtube is proof.

Comment

This song says it ALL! Don't forget to shout and Salute!

God Bless the U.S.A.

http://www.brownielocks.com/godblesstheusaWAVE.html

© MCA Music
          By Lee Greenwood

If tomorrow all the things were gone I’d worked for all my life,
          And I had to start again with just my children and my wife.
          I’d thank my lucky stars to be living here today,
          ‘Cause the flag still stands for freedom and they can’t take that away.

And I’m proud to be an American where at least I know I’m free.
          And I won’t forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.
          And I’d gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today.
          ‘Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land God bless the U.S.A.

From the lakes of Minnesota, to the hills of Tennessee,
          across the plains of Texas, from sea to shining sea,

From Detroit down to Houston and New York to LA,
          Well, there’s pride in every American heart,
          and it’s time to stand and say:

I’m proud to be an American where at least I know I’m free.
          And I won’t forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.
          And I’d gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today.
          ‘Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land God bless the U.S.A.

God Bless The U.S.A. Words and Music by Lee Greenwood
          © Copyright 1984 by MUSIC CORPORATION OF AMERICA, INC. & SONGS OF POLYGRAM INTERNATIONAL, INC.
          All Rights Controlled and Administered by MUSIC CORPORATION OF AMERICA, INC.
          International Copyright Secured All Rights Reserved

Comment

Among the 300,000 to 400,000 people who crammed into the bayside village of 15,000 year round residents I'm currently calling home to witness the 221st annual Bristol 4th of July Parade (which is the USA's oldest and longest continously held 4th of July parade), was (who is thought to be) the first receipient of the USA's Medal of Honor issued during World War II. Below is a link to Mr. Finn's fascinating recollection of his memories of the attack on the Naval Air Station at Kaneohe Bay, which according to this article, "preceded Pearl Harbor by several minutes", on December 7th, 1941. Interesting side note about the '38 Ford he rode into the attack: Many believe that the Ford was the first private automobile ever driven into an American battle arena. Mr. Finn received top honors in today's parade.

Special Kaneohe Bay attack survivor honored here today

Note: Even though I have linked the above article to this post, there is a chance a reader of it might have to hit a couple of radio buttons in a survey (your zip, age, and sex) to gain access to it.

I thought this was an interesting article/event with an obvious Hawaii connection here in RI on the 4th today.

Comment

ok, after trying all morning, dis buggah finally steh goin!
              In commemoration and celebration of July 4, Craig, (via kimo,) presents and offers for your listening pleasure, a lil Hawaiian not too distant radio history (July 4, 1977) with Ron Jacobs on KKUA. This was a one hour or so broadcast that, two hours after the show, was deposited in a time capsule and buried, here in our Honolulu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak9e206Y-yw

...for you young uns who subsist on rap songs replete with kill and F#(k everything lyrics, these songs presented in that audio file was the stuff we lived on. those were yer basic pop rock songs. funny; They would be considered quite corny nowadays if presented on the radio as new...
              Last edited by kimo55; July 4, 2006, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Re: July 2006....

Originally posted by Serenity
                I just wanted to wish everyone here...

Happy safe 4th of July!!.

HAPPY SAFE 4TH OF JULY EVERYONE HERE IN HT.COM

Aloha.

HUGS.
                *Repeat message!!.*

Have a nice 4th of July everybody!!.
                Aches & Pains
                (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

Happy Independence Day!

I'm working now (obvious plea for sympathy!), but I'll be off soon.

Drive safely, folks, and watch out for everyone else out there.

Aloha,
                  Maddie

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                    Too kewl! I saw that interview and thought the girl was cute, bright, and well spoken. What a sweetie! It projects right through the screen.
                    Thanks, all. I finally got around to posting the clip online... for her grandparents in Florida as much as for the rest of the world. Check it out here, in thrilling Real Video (old habits die hard). I guess I'll add it to my YouTube.com collection, too... though obviously this is KITV's handiwork and copyright, not mine.

As for fireworks displays, I got to see the Aloha Tower Marketplace show last night.

Tonight, we'll have the AC and air filters going full steam as we try and enjoy a Netflix DVD at home. Seems like most of our immediate neighbors are celebrating elsewhere, so hopefully it won't be half as bad as New Year's.

Comment

Here's a little something for all of you! Go out and celebrate!!!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Ah...all smokey outside. And I get to stay in and shoot up a bunch of Germans on CoD2.

Happy Independence day, everyone!!
                        myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

It seems that North Korea has a sense of humour...they helped us celebrate with some fireworks, too!
                          http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                          http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Here is a photo from tonight's fireworks show at Ala Moana Shopping Center.

More photos at my Flickr page and BuzzNet site. Hope you folks all had a safe and happy Independence Day.

Happy birthday USA!
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Saw the fireworks on my last leg last nite when I went to bayfest to shoot, with my brother. Jeezz. Don't know how I did it. was beat. by the time the Firworks went on. It was, in a word. Goofy. Well, corny too. strange also. I have never seen fireworks display ruined by music before. the damndedst thing. goofy snippets of crazy patriotic songs, a few lines from dozens of songs all smooched together... a chorus of kids yelling "happy birthday, America!" which I never could back. Like that dumb "happy birthday jesus!" slogan used at Christmas.
                              film at 11.

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon
                                It seems that North Korea has a sense of humour...they helped us celebrate with some fireworks, too!

Makes you wonder if it really was a "malfunction" or was the US testing it's defensive systems on valid target. Hmmmm

In any case that North Korean bottle rocket was a biggie...Thanks NK for helping your adversary celebrate it's declaration of independence That was really thoughtful of them wasn't it?

Hey thanks for the idea Susie, I think I'll go write an editorial to the SB, MadAzza watch out for this one coming across your desk in a few minutes!
                                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                                X