Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Na Mea Ho`ohau`oli > The Tube
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old January 23rd, 2005, 06:53 PM
Ali`i

Default Johnny Carson

He was such a daily part (or nightly part) of my life for a long, long time.

Aloha oe, Johnny.
Old January 23rd, 2005, 08:02 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Johnny Carson

Rest In Peace Johnny Carson!
Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Old January 25th, 2005, 01:15 AM
Ali`i

One of the things that I liked was when they did Carnack the Magnificent.
Old January 25th, 2005, 01:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen
One of the things that I liked was when they did Carnack the Magnificent.

dig;

http://www.johnnycarson.com/carson/e...rnac/index.jsp
Old January 25th, 2005, 03:49 AM
Kia`aina

I am currently a big fan of the 'Tonight Show.' Even though I enjoy Jay Leno being the host, I really didn't get to watch Johnny on the air... I was very young when he quit. Only 'wish' I could see the many memories he had made for late-night television entertainment. Mahalo Johnny Carson
Old January 25th, 2005, 04:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr1652
I am currently a big fan of the 'Tonight Show.' Even though I enjoy Jay Leno being the host, I really didn't get to watch Johnny on the air... I was very young when he quit. Only 'wish' I could see the many memories he had made for late-night television entertainment. Mahalo Johnny Carson

i grew up on carson. he was a class act. NEVER resorted to the cheap vulgar profane laugh. as they alllll seem to do nowadays.

The tonight show as the unfortunate contemporary audience experiences, is not at all as it was.

watching his show almost nightly...
It was like joining a literate casual cocktail party. These talkshows now, not at all like that. It's slumming now.

The tradition of the tonight show exhibits a lineage of some of the most clever intelligent comedians.
I even remember Steve Allen's tenure in the milieu, much antedating Mr. Carson's stint.
Then we saw Ernie Kovacs. Then the inimitable Jack Parr.

You want the good stuff? It's available on video and possibly dvd.

Last edited by kimo55; January 25th, 2005 at 04:10 AM.
Old January 25th, 2005, 07:00 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr1652

Due to his death, finding a rental VHS or DVD may get hard. I have two "Best of Johnny" VHS TAPES. You are welcome to borrow it. Email me private message.
Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Last edited by 1stwahine; January 25th, 2005 at 07:01 AM. Reason: because..
Old January 25th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimo55
i grew up on carson. he was a class act. NEVER resorted to the cheap vulgar profane laugh. as they alllll seem to do nowadays.
Zsa Zsa Gabor, with a large Persian sitting on her lap: "Johnny, do you want to pet my pussy?"

Johnny Carson: "Sure, if you move the damn cat."
Old January 25th, 2005, 01:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palolo Joe
Zsa Zsa Gabor, with a large Persian sitting on her lap: "Johnny, do you want to pet my pussy?"

Johnny Carson: "Sure, if you move the damn cat."

nope. didn't happen.

he never said
"damn"
and uuhh... da ress didnt happen either.

try as you may, ya just can't defame early media or sully our icons and yank them down to yer level... please respect the memory and character of some things...

http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/zsazsa.htm

Last edited by kimo55; January 25th, 2005 at 01:49 PM.
Old January 25th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
nope. didn't happen.
Ahahaha... that's amazing. Got that quote off someone else's blog, but I should have checked it out a little bit more first.

I've got no problem admitting when I'm wrong Kimo.

Quote:
try as you may, ya just can't defame early media or sully our icons and yank them down to yer level... please respect the memory and character of some things...
"Early" media? "Our" icons yanked down to "yer" level?

Please.

I'm a big fan of Mr. Carson. I just don't agree with you trying to beatify him and make it look like he was clean as a whistle.

Professionally, he was a pioneer and a lot of people (myself included) consider him an icon. But personally, he was just another guy from Nebraska with faults and shortcomings like the rest of us.

Do you even watch late night television these days? Or have you already taken the dentures out and gone to bed by the time the 10 o'clock news comes on?
Old January 25th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Banned

palolojoe;
relegated to the killfile
news at 10!

Quote:
Ahahaha... that's amazing. Got that quote off someone else's blog,
ah yes. the "blog". full of pithy, meaty copy that really matters. where everyone turns to for authentic factual pearls of wisdom since time immemorial. perfect for quotes and the original source for the cultural illiterati.
Old January 25th, 2005, 03:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
perfect for quotes and the original source for the cultural illiterati.
Ah, yes - more insults. Keep running your mouth Kimo...

Here's something I found in the New York Daily News. Full text is here.

Quote:
Johnny Carson made millions of viewers laugh, but few of them saw the moody side of the talk show legend.

"Off the air, he was an incredibly dark comedian - almost like Lenny Bruce," biographer Laurence Leamer, author of "King of the Night," tells us. "He was a strange guy, flawed and vulnerable."
Old January 25th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ah, yes - more insults. Keep running your mouth Kimo...
you opened the door. i just walked in. don't take it personally.
Old January 25th, 2005, 03:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
you opened the door. i just walked in.
And why stick to the topic of discussion when you can hurl an insult? I know it must get harder to concentrate as you advance in age, but please try to keep focused on what we're talking about - Johnny Carson.
Old January 25th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
And why stick to the topic of discussion when you can hurl an insult?
uh. I give up. ok, why?

wait. is this a trick question?!

who hurled!?

Quote:
I know it must get harder to concentrate as you advance in age, but please try to keep focused on what we're talking about - Johnny Carson.
senility rules. but... who said that?

Last edited by kimo55; January 25th, 2005 at 04:07 PM.
Old January 25th, 2005, 06:13 PM

OK, I am stepping in and asking the both of you to take the personal arguments to email. I have gotten a complaint from another user of the board. Thank you.

mel
Old January 25th, 2005, 06:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel
OK, I am stepping in and asking the both of you to take the personal arguments to email. I have gotten a complaint from another user of the board. Thank you.

mel

it's not personal and it's no argument. Just jokin around.
no can see dat!?

what is the complaint?
remedy: change the channel if one does not like the program yea?!
Old January 25th, 2005, 07:04 PM
Administrator

Kimo, you know better. A perfectly reasonable thread about Johnny Carson has been derailed by petty, off-topic nitpicks. (And spreading to other threads as well.) Why ask other people to "change the channel" when you and Palolo Joe are the ones hijacking the "show"?

Stay on topic. If you want to do some "joking around," try a new thread. If you're "joking around" and no one else is playing, however, take it to Private Messages - that's what they're there for.
Old January 25th, 2005, 07:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin
Why ask other people to "change the channel" when you and Palolo Joe are the ones hijacking the "show"?
i give up; why?
is this a trick question?

ok. sorry, eh.
apologized and withdrawn.
Old January 25th, 2005, 07:11 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon

Topic.

I miss Johnny Carson. I missed him since Jay Leno stepped in, and as far as I'm concerned, Leno is still flopping about in Carson's cavernous showbiz shoes.

To be fair, though, fond remembrances are one thing, idealistic beatification is another. Carson did a late-night show for decades, and it's a given that he's had more than his share of gaffes and questionable calls.

I was too young to have been watching when these segments aired, and I suppose you can chalk some of it up to "the way things were," but it's a fine line between edgy and offensive, and depending on your perspective, he could have crossed it.

Most of what people are praising him for is his interviewing style, and with those kudos I wholeheartedly agree. I heard someone say, "He was a bigger star than most of the guests who sat in that couch, and yet he had a way of making sure the world revolved around them for those few minutes."
Old January 25th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzarquon
Topic.

I miss Johnny Carson. I missed him since Jay Leno stepped in, and as far as I'm concerned, Leno is still flopping about in Carson's cavernous showbiz shoes.
leno is a nice fella, and i really admire his work ethic. Infinitely approachable whether at a car show or there at the studio. Don't appreciate his delivery on his show; he seems to try to milk each punch line. he rephrases it and drags it out.

Quote:

To be fair, though, fond remembrances are one thing, idealistic beatification is another.
no one is doing that. Carson created a gold standard that will not be equalled. that is just a fact and his legacy bears it out.

Quote:

Carson did a late-night show for decades, and it's a given that he's had more than his share of gaffes and questionable calls.
well, sure. he is human, after all.
and that is one of the cool things about him; his bomb takes; how he handled them on screen and off. the classy way he dealt with the glithes.

Quote:
Most of what people are praising him for is his interviewing style, and with those kudos I wholeheartedly agree. I heard someone say, "He was a bigger star than most of the guests who sat in that couch, and yet he had a way of making sure the world revolved around them for those few minutes."

his interviewing style is a small aspect of the man. His monologue, the content and delivery, his family he created, the way he ran his show, the general 'feel' of the show that made it an almost nightly very familiar comfortable ritual for much of america... the relationship he had with Mcmahon and DeCordova, his persona around town, his business dealings, his pioneering in the media...
Old January 25th, 2005, 08:07 PM
Ali`i

Johnny was a great entertainer...even with all his salacious innuendos. He also lived a hard life in the fast lane, along with Frank, and Sammy and and Dino. His hard living in the fast lane is what did him in: his years of smoking heavily and boozing caught up with him at a way too young age. He died from emphysema and congestive heart failure. For those of you who smoke heavily, please try to quit. You don't want to die in the kind of agony he probably went through in his final days: bloated by cortisone to keep the pain away and gasping for air.

My favorite segments of his show were when he played with the animals because you never knew what animal Joan Embry from the San Diego Zoo would bring on stage that would embarass the living bejeezus out of him (his deadpan expressions were the best). He also gave a lot of currently active comedians their start; many of them said if it wasn't for Johnny, they probably wouldn't be in the business today.

Miulang
Old January 25th, 2005, 09:29 PM
Ali`i

About Jay Leno

Quote:
he seems to try to milk each punch line. he rephrases it and drags it out.
I agree with you there about Jay Leno, Johnny Carson tended to dance while the band played whenever the joke bomb. I suppose Jay could dance too but that would be copying Carson's style and that wouldn't be original unless Leno changed the tune and the dance (and not over do it).

Last edited by helen; January 26th, 2005 at 03:52 AM. Reason: forgot a word
Old January 26th, 2005, 02:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin
Why ask other people to "change the channel" when you and Palolo Joe are the ones hijacking the "show"?
Go back and read each of my posts. I tried to stay on topic, making the point that while he was a television icon, Johnny Carson wasn't a saint by any means.

Did anyone bother to click the link I posted to the NYDN item?

To add to the discussion - would the Tonight Show be any different had David Letterman gotten the nod back in 92?
Old January 26th, 2005, 03:58 AM
Ali`i

I gotta admit that during the 70's I could never stay up late enough to watch an entire episode of the Tonight Show, but if I remember right it was scheduled to air around 11 or midnight and not at it's 10:30 pm time slot and giving how we in Hawaii got the show, we either got last week's show or the day before.