Big booms!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big booms!

HPD has said, in the news and over the air, that if you hear what SOUNDS LIKE BIG EXPLOSIONS, or like gunshots, that you call them in. 911.

Right.

Nightly, on the WW side, up above K-Bay, I hear about a dozen explosions every night. First night I called the first one in, and got a jaded dispatcher asking things like:
    1. Do you know how close it was?
    2. Can you tell what direction it came from?

From this I surmised they only want to know if it happens next door. So I stopped.

BIG explosions can be many things:
    1. A large charge of high explosives,
    2. A LARGE, VERY LARGE aerial firework launcher,
    3. An acetylene (i.e., "Big Bang" cannon),
    4. An equivalent, such as a balloon filled with acetylene or,
    5. A carpet tube configured like a cannon, filled and ignited w/above.

Probably some other things,too.

Anybody else been hearing "exceptionally large" explosions this year?

K?

11:34pm OK, there's another, but this was a "ploop" "smallboom" of a regular aerial....
    Last edited by Kaonohi; December 22, 2009, 10:35 PM. Reason: "I go crazy.... when I hear your big booms...."
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Re: Big booms!!!!!!!!!

the amount of illegal fireworks being set off before christmas is unreal.

i could only imagine when NYE happens. I think it will give ala moana 4th of july a run for its money.

waipahu, Kalihi, and Ewa beach is gonna be crazy.

Comment

Re: Big booms!

Ha. HPD only just now caught on? In Kalihi we've been hearing those booms for several years running. I've never seen one go off but I know the sound well.

Comment

Eric is right it's been going on in Kalihi for years and not only during this time of the year. There is HPD officer who lives up the street but does nothing for fear of having his home vandalized I guess.

Comment

You're only HEARING the booms? You're lucky, we're so close as to see the associated flashes as well. Nice to know we can 911 them (How close? 100 feet!).
          May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

This guy at work lives in Kaneohe and finally got fed up with the big booms (huge aerial fireworks in this case). He traced it to a few blocks over, drove over there, and saw a few young males hanging out. He saw the firework stuff on the ground and confirmed with a lady that those were the guys lighting the fireworks. He called 911 and they sent a cop out (meanwhile the guys got a camera and took a picture of him, his car, and license plate). The cop gets there and says if you didn't personally witness it I can't do anything about it and refuses to even knock on the door of the people with the firework stuff in front of their house to ask them.
            Seems like the cops don't actually want to do anything to stop it.
            What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
              Anybody else been hearing "exceptionally large" explosions this year?
              As you may recall, I live right on Kaneohe Bay, just a few blocks from the police and fire stations. I've been hearing fireworks for at least three or four weeks now, including 8 to 10 of the huge boomers every single night. They're usually preceded by a flash of light.
              I find it... interesting... that most of these fireworks are being done within a one or two block radius of the police station.
              And BTW, I've been hearing the smaller fireworks in the mornings and afternoons, too.
              My biggest concern is how often those big boomers scare the heck out of children and pets.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Too many people getting ideas from Mythbusters, perhaps? (e.g., dry ice and a little water in a two-liter soda bottle, cap it up tight, then RUN LIKE HELL!!!)

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                  Too many people getting ideas from Mythbusters, perhaps? (e.g., dry ice and a little water in a two-liter soda bottle, cap it up tight, then RUN LIKE HELL!!!)
                  I prefer the fill the garbage bag with Acetylene ignite a very long fuse and run like hell. Note for this year: Disable all alarm systems before detonation.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Kids are still building sparkler bombs.
                    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

you guys are funny. its also HPD who is buying these illegal fireworks and setting them off while they are off duty with other hpd officers cruising at their house drinking beers.

Comment

when I was a kid, Longs Drugs used to sell Salt Peter in mayonaisse bottle sized jars. we used to make a 50-50 mix of salt peter and granulated white sugar to make for a very explosive compound. Made for great fireworks when packed or simply ignited unpacked.
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                          My biggest concern is how often those big boomers scare the heck out of children and pets.
                          N n n nnnot t-t-t-t-ooo m-m-m emtion the ef ef efecttt on w-w-w-war nvet-vet-veteranises w,w,w,with PTSD!!!!

WTF. A year or two or more of life threatening explosive sounds shouldn't effect us now that we are back in the "non-combatant" zone, right????

Don't you believe it for a fornicating minute!

The surprise makes us jump, and the aftermath HURTS!

I'm also guilty of making 'safe' explosions. But I feel better doing it on NYE, when it is expected.

December 22 is NOT fair game!

K - in conflict.
                          ~ ~

Comment

These booms are still happening all over every day and night. The largest I've heard just went off a minute ago.
                            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                              These booms are still happening all over every day and night. The largest I've heard just went off a minute ago.
                              The ones that really get me are the large explosions, close by, that imitate incoming chicom artillery in the late 1960's.
                              OK, my secret is out, and so is Barry's.

It's PTSD.

Sometimes it's hard to seperate the present from the past. We endure. We have no choice! We cannot dump our sensitivities upon the world; we are the ones who must adjust, after all.

We thought we were doing it "for you!" - for America and the overall world order. For peace and the war against communism.

The Big Booms will always be there, and so will our reactions.

If we can get used to you, you need to get used to us.

WTF: QED: OVER:
                              Kaonohi90, 4th Div, 1968
                              ~ ~

Comment

Working...
                              X