Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Kaukau Korner
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old July 1st, 2008, 11:37 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: Poor man's meals

i realized just now that over the weekend, i cooked a filipino favorite - balatong - that definitely qualifies for this thread. i bought a 16 oz bag of green mung beans for about $1.50 and cooked it thusly:

1 cup mung beans (i like the green, unsplit kind; you can used the peeled ones, which are yellow, and choose split or unsplit. it doesn't really matter)
3 cups water.

bring to boil and then simmer until beans soften & split. you'll need to watch this pot bcs sometimes it will need more water.

remove from pot and place into bowl. set aside.

chop one medium onion & four cloves garlic. add about 1 tbsp oil to pot in which you cooked the mung beans & saute onion & garlic. return beans to pot; add one large chopped tomato. add patis & pepper to taste. simmer for 15 minutes, then add as many chicarrones as you like. (i used about 1/4 of this bag).

i know, i know--my mom would scold me for this very lazy version of balatong. pinakboy posts a more traditional and labor intensive recipe here. you can add spinach, marunggay, or bittermelon leaves if you like. i think even frozen collard greens would work, too. plus you can omit the chicarrones and use chicken or pork, which you would saute in the pot before the garlic & onion (make sure to season w/salt & pepper). honestly, i've even made this with a can of spam that i'd chopped up. no matter what, it's good cheap eats. the one cup of beans yields six hearty servings eaten with rice. i'll repeat that the 16 oz bag only cost me $1.50 at foodland!

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213
Old July 1st, 2008, 05:35 PM
Ali`i

Ohhh I haven't had balatong in ages!

Fry up some pork/chicharon and add it to the balatong all over rice...my mouth is salivating as I type this!
Hear the crowd roar to your sound
Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
You know we couldn't live without you
Tessie, you are the only only only
Old July 1st, 2008, 05:49 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lei Liko View Post
Ohhh I haven't had balatong in ages!

Fry up some pork/chicharon and add it to the balatong all over rice...my mouth is salivating as I type this!

mmph! go hit the supermarket and buy you some mung beans then! you can have balatong on your plate in less than an hour!

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213
Old July 1st, 2008, 10:29 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by localmoco View Post
Another favorite was "campfire" stew or jambalaya. Brown some ground beef, add a couple cans of vegetable soup, stir in a bunch of cooked rice and season to taste. Very simple and cheap but quite tasty.
Another simple version is to take your washed uncooked rice and add a can of vegetable soup instead of some of the water, cover and cook over the fire. (Just make sure that the soup + water equals the amount of pure water you would add if making regular rice.)

This can be done in a rice cooker, too.
Old July 1st, 2008, 11:44 PM
Ali`i

How about a plantation staple of hotonboogiboogi that obachun used to make? Squash could be easily grown in the garden. So, the squash could be deseeded, cut into little pieces and stir fried with canned corned beed with some kind of cooking oil or broth. But, I don't know how much local squash cost now at the market.

I just remembered that I ate that type of squash dish at that Filipino take-out place by Walmart on the Keeaumoku St. side. But, I think they use pork or chicken, so it's better than canned corned beef.

Last edited by Walkoff Balk; July 2nd, 2008 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Add.spelling
Old July 1st, 2008, 11:59 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
How about a plantation staple of hotonboogiboogi that obachun used to make? Squash could be easily grown in the garden. So, the squash could be deseeded, cut into little pieces and stir fried with canned corned beed with some kind of cooking oil or broth. But, I don't know how much local squash cost now at the market.
Funny you should mention this. I just made a dish I remembered from childhood--canned salmon and squash. My Mom (who is near 90) used to make this a long time ago and I loved it. I've not had this since childhood and have never come across it ever since. I couldn't figure out how she made it. I think I botched it, but it still tasted good, served over rice. Anyone else remember a local-style, economy dish, using squash? I have a feeling it was used a lot long ago.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 12:03 AM
Ali`i

cyn: your dish sounds delicious. i'd have to swap out the chicarrones though for probably the chicken.

now, what i didn't know was that fish sauce came in different grades just like olive oil. i made a thai veggie dish using long green beans, tomatoes, grilled eggplant, cilantro, sugar, lime juice and the thai version of the fish sauce. minuse the eggplant, cilantro, sugar and lime juice and use the patis; wouldn't that make it more filipino?

honoruru: here's my easy version of squash soup:
2 squash (the green one) peeled and seeded. then cut into bite size pieces
pork cut up into small pieces and saute it in garlic
1 piece of salted turnip sliced

bring a pot of water to boil add the salted turnip and bring back to boil. add pork and squash. do not over cook. i've added onions and shiitake mushrooms on occasion, but that's optional. serve with rice if you like.

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Last edited by kani-lehua; July 2nd, 2008 at 12:20 AM.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 03:26 AM
Ali`i

Another cheap meal is to mix a can of tuna (drained) with 4 eggs, and pour into patties in a hot greased skillet (like you are making pancakes). Cook on both sides and then top with some cheese. Serve with rice.
Mmmm Mmmm.
Serves 2.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 05:24 AM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amati View Post
Another simple version is to take your washed uncooked rice and add a can of vegetable soup instead of some of the water, cover and cook over the fire. (Just make sure that the soup + water equals the amount of pure water you would add if making regular rice.)

This can be done in a rice cooker, too.
Another variation of this which is incredible tasting is to use a can of consomme' in place of water. my mother used to use a baking pan, put rice, consomme can, water and ham slices and bake.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 12:04 PM
Kia`aina

Send a message via AIM to sophielynette

I like to make Cheater Shepherd's Pie. Brown up some ground beef with garlic and onion, mix in a can of vegetable soup, spread the mixture in a baking dish and top with mashed potatoes and shredded cheese, then bake until the cheese has melted.

I also like to fry potatoes up with vinegar and garlic and onion. Sometimes I'll add cabbage.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 04:59 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaukura View Post
Another variation of this which is incredible tasting is to use a can of consomme' in place of water. my mother used to use a baking pan, put rice, consomme can, water and ham slices and bake.
Another version:
Place washed uncooked rice in baking dish, cover with water, add layer of pork chops, top with can of cream of mushroom soup. bake.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 05:43 PM
Ali`i

When I was in a "down" (poverty) period MANY years ago, I used to stop on my way home (to a $10/week room-for-rent, which tells you how long ago it was) at a Chinese restaurant and get a quart of rice for a quarter and then at the market for a $10-cent can of sardines. What more could you ask for?!
Old July 2nd, 2008, 07:56 PM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amati View Post
Another version:
Place washed uncooked rice in baking dish, cover with water, add layer of pork chops, top with can of cream of mushroom soup. bake.
or if you want to really get the price down, use chicken wings or legs. I love cream of mushroom soup with chicken baked in it.
Old July 4th, 2008, 03:30 AM
Haumana

The ol' tuna with onions is a quick easy cheap meal. Flavored with shoyu and sugar - yum. And if I want to get fancy, I'll add any green vegetable in the fridge, usually zuchini or bell peppers.

By the way, anyone notice how Coral Tuna cans are now only half-filled? I opened a couple of cans the other day and noticed how little there was. The can size was the same as ever, but instead of being about 3/4 filled with tuna, it was barely only half-filled. Gee...
Old July 4th, 2008, 04:08 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to Mike_Lowery

I had grilled cheese for breakfast, PB&J for lunch. pifftastic.

flickr
Old July 5th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by almond mocha View Post
The ol' tuna with onions is a quick easy cheap meal. Flavored with shoyu and sugar - yum. And if I want to get fancy, I'll add any green vegetable in the fridge, usually zuchini or bell peppers.

By the way, anyone notice how Coral Tuna cans are now only half-filled? I opened a couple of cans the other day and noticed how little there was. The can size was the same as ever, but instead of being about 3/4 filled with tuna, it was barely only half-filled. Gee...
exactly! manufacturers are making things smaller and charging the same price. take for instance, cereal.

cream of mushroom soup with anything is good, imo and, since we're talking about tuna, make cream tuna and add peas. sometimes i use green beans. and, we haven't had AM's tuna and onions that way in a long time. sounds good.

microsoft error message with haiku poetry
Old August 6th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Kia`aina

hey, spam & cabbage, how much more local do you want? It's cheap and yummy,.....kinda