X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
    Considering the launch of service today was only a development just a day or two ago, I'm sure most folks made the travel plans last min. The point I'm more interested in is the impact at the harbor. And it sounds like it wasn't a big impact at all.
    The true test will come tomorrow, when people are heading to work. Sundays are generally lighter traffic days, although that particular stretch of Kaahumanu is crowded almost all the time now (and if you're headed in the direction of Wailuku, you have 3 major intersections within one block of each other to contend with with stoplights at each). And tomorrow the bank on the corner will be open for business. It happens to be one of the busier branches on Maui, and when the wackos staged their "simulation" a month or so ago, there were some minor altercations between the bank customers and the "ferry passengers" even with the rent-a-cops around to handle the situation.

If the 2nd Circuit Court declines to issue an injunction tomorrow, the next critical date will be Nov. 3, when the DOT and HSF have to appear again before Judge August to show the results of their studies. At that point he could either order more mitigation, stop use of the facilities or say no more mitigation is required.

Miulang
    Last edited by Miulang; August 26, 2007, 01:06 PM.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

1,700 people visited the HSF when it docked up in Kawaihae yesterday.
      http://www.westhawaiitoday.com/artic...al/local01.txt

My ex-girlfriend took this photo of HSF arriving up in Kawaihae yesterday.
      http://aaronstene.blogspot.com/2007/...-kawaihae.html
      Check out my blog on Kona issues :
      The Kona Blog

Comment

Just got off the ferry.

Great trip.

Zero problems in Kahului. The cars exit on Puunene Ave. near First Hawaiian Bank. No problems. Cars are held in the harbor area until traffic clears then the next round of cars stream out.

A lot of people just went on a junket, returning the same day. But all cars needed to get off the ferry and reboard. So this was a good indication of what little impact this will have on traffic in Kahului.

Return trip went around the north side Molokai. Spectacular views.

Everything ran like clockwork, and the staff seemed to be on the ball. Smooth sailing, so to speak.

Comment

Just got back from a trip to Aloha Tower this afternoon. Took more photos of Superferry coming into the harbor, docking and watching the cars unload and then the next batch line up. Looked orderly, no traffic congestion with cars offloading. Was kind of slow and boring watching that happen, but judging by the load they had today, traffic impact from vehicles arriving off island to Honolulu is minimal.

Pictures to be uploaded soon at my flickr site.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by dick View Post
            Just got off the ferry.

Great trip.
            [...]
            Everything ran like clockwork, and the staff seemed to be on the ball. Smooth sailing, so to speak.
            Yippee! First report. Thanks, Dick. So, how rough was the Moloka`i Channel?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
              Just got back from a trip to Aloha Tower this afternoon. Took more photos of Superferry coming into the harbor, docking and watching the cars unload and then the next batch line up. Looked orderly, no traffic congestion with cars offloading. Was kind of slow and boring watching that happen, but judging by the load they had today, traffic impact from vehicles arriving off island to Honolulu is minimal.

Nice pics, it looks so orderly and uneventful which is great!!!

Anyone with pics from the Maui loading/unloading or even for Kauai?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post

Really nice shots, Mel. Thanks for taking them. I particularly like the one of the Alakai lit up by the sunrise as she left the harbor this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                  So, how rough was the Moloka`i Channel?
                  It wasn't rough at all. Very calm seas today.

I would suspect that even if it were rougher, the sail would be pretty nice. There was very little, if any, pitch or roll. Slight surge now and then. Kind of like riding an airplane with some turbulance. Walking around is a little stumbly... I likened it to being drunk without having had anything to drink.

Comment

The Advertiser story said there were about a dozen protesters on Maui. But having just seen the footage on the news, the Advertiser clearly didn't mention that half of those dozen protesters were... children!!!
                    Heh.
                    Hehehehehe.
                    Bwaaahahahaha!!!
                    Hell, there are more SuperFerry protesters in Seattle than there are on Maui.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by dick View Post
                      Just got off the ferry.

Great trip.

Zero problems in Kahului. The cars exit on Puunene Ave. near First Hawaiian Bank. No problems. Cars are held in the harbor area until traffic clears then the next round of cars stream out.

A lot of people just went on a junket, returning the same day. But all cars needed to get off the ferry and reboard. So this was a good indication of what little impact this will have on traffic in Kahului.

Return trip went around the north side Molokai. Spectacular views.

One of my cousins just called from Maui, where she'll be spending a couple of days after riding the ferry over from Oahu.

She basically echoed all of Dick's comments... no problems WHATSOEVER.

Her biggest gripe was that the food wasn't that great (she got up too late to stop and pick something up on the way).

A dozen protesters? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Can't wait to ride the ferry myself!

Comment

Hope Blaine and the rest had a good ride! I wanted to go but there were jobs to do and couldn't be rescheduled.

KHON news reported at the end of their newscast that the Superferry was greeted by a bunch of surfers blocking the way into Nawiliwili harbor.

The Coast Guard was dealing with the situation, letting them know that it's a federal offense to interfere with maritime commerce.

The USCG should just arrest them, charge them accordingly, and let the SF do its work.

When they get out of federal prison these same people should march out onto the runways to foul up the airlines and run out onto the freeways and try to stop some trucks, too.

Comment

Approximately 250 people showed up at Nawiliwili Harbor to protest the arrival of the Alakai. The boat was delayed from docking while the Coast Guard dealt with the protesters.

The 350-foot Alakai arrived near the mouth of the harbor around 6 p.m. today but was turned back at the request of the Coast Guard due to the large gathering at the harbor, said John Garibaldi, Hawaii Superferry's president and chief executive officer.
                          Miulang
                          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                            Approximately 250 people showed up at Nawiliwili Harbor to protest the arrival of the Alakai. The boat was delayed from docking while the Coast Guard dealt with the protesters.
                            Nobody bothers to show up on Maui, so Chicken Little re-focuses on Kauai?

Pathetic.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post

Miulang
                              I heard the protesters were out on surfboards

Comment

Kauaiians like to remind the rest of Hawaii their island was never conquered!

Comment

Working...
                                X