Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Route 808
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old August 27th, 2007, 02:18 AM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Originally Posted by escondido100 View Post
out of curiousity i was wondering if anybody has links to any BB or Forums that the three groups that are against progress in the 21st century have on the web.... i have done some searching but havent been able to find anything.... it would be interesting to know what those folks chat about.... i have a feeling that there isn't anything like that because it would put on the record what their agenda is and there would be little control as to what the way out whackos would post which may hurt their cause.....so if any one knows of any links it would be fun to check them out.
http://hui-r.info/

http://video.google.com/videosearch?...ferry+Showdown

Also found this on their website

Old August 27th, 2007, 02:33 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

I am surprised that no one ever mentioned the time Seaflite operated in the late 1970's to early 1980's. Because those ships went faster than the SuperFerry. Did any of those ships struck a whale?

Another solution is built yet a 3rd ship. Each of the ships will just service one island and just make one round trip per day running at a slower speed. That way you don't hit whales.
Old August 27th, 2007, 03:13 AM

The radical extremist wackos on Kauai ought all be arrested under the federal statute for preventing the Superferry from entering the harbor.
Old August 27th, 2007, 03:18 AM
Ali`i

Well they could claim they went surfing and they drift out to the harbor enterance.
Old August 27th, 2007, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen View Post
Well they could claim they went surfing and they drift out to the harbor enterance.
If you did not see the local news footage on the 10 o clock news, the protest certainly did not look like an accident. The wacks who were literally in front of the ferry prevented its entrance were all in violation of the 100 yard federal law.
Old August 27th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Kumu

I still haven't figured out what all these protest people are against.

Aside from the speculative whale thing, what else is there to fear?

Obviously (by first-hand witness account) traffic isn't anything to worry about. And for every car ferried over there is one less rental on the road. Case in point, I'll be going to Maui in September to visit my family. I've made reservations on the ferry to take my car. Were this ferry not in existence, I'd have to rent a car. But now I can take my own car. I don't see how this will "increase traffic." All it will do is take business away from some rent-a-car place. Still waiting on a sane rebuttal to this, BTW...

I heard people complaining that people will ruin the outer islands. The ferry will be used mainly by local people, who already have a handle on how to treat "the aina." What, you think only Oahu people will use this? And by extension Oahu people are out to mess up the outer islands?

Everyone weeps about Oahu people going to the outer islands (like this has never happened before)... well, as an Oahu resident, should I expect that no person from an "outer island" come to Oahu? God forbid they come over and wreak havok on "our island."

This ferry goes two ways, in case nobody has noticed.
Old August 27th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Ali`i

I think the arguments of traffic, whales, etc, are simply a cover for a reason most don't want to admit. Simply put, there's prejudice going on, island racism. Some, not all, think their island is better than others and find it unacceptable to have the "low lives" from other islands, mainly Oahu, come over so easily. There, I said it.
Old August 27th, 2007, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dick View Post
I heard people complaining that people will ruin the outer islands. The ferry will be used mainly by local people, who already have a handle on how to treat "the aina." What, you think only Oahu people will use this? And by extension Oahu people are out to mess up the outer islands?

Everyone weeps about Oahu people going to the outer islands (like this has never happened before)... well, as an Oahu resident, should I expect that no person from an "outer island" come to Oahu? God forbid they come over and wreak havok on "our island."
If the wackos are complaining about Oahu people ruining their island, why aren't they targeting the airports? Cumulatively far more people from off island pass through the airports by the thousands every day. Why single out only passengers from the Superferry?

The KHON News this morning said that passengers on Kauai had to wait to get off because some idiot threw rocks at one of the departing vehicles.

There is peaceful protest, but when people are breaking the law by blocking the ferry's entry into port and when they throw rocks at people's vehicles, then those people ought to be arrested and prosecuted under the law.

From the sidebar at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.com

Quote:
Security: The Coast Guard is implementing security zones during the transit of the Superferry that are circular and extend 100 yards out from the vessel. The security zone will move with the vessel as long as it is within three nautical miles of the mouth of the harbor. Any violation of the security zone is a federal offense and can result in fines of up to $32,500 per violation or imprisonment for up to 10 years.

Last edited by mel; August 27th, 2007 at 11:22 AM.
Old August 27th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Ali`i

Saw a news crew interview one of the Maui protestors lastnight. She said they wanted to keep Oahuans off Maui because they were afraid we'd deplete the fishing grounds and other "resources". Like we're going to cause a severe shortage of guri guri and manju? Also, she seemed to pose a "hypothetical" question that Oahuans might ask such as, "What's there to do on Maui?" Duh! She said if you gotta ask, don't come.

They ended the interview by showing a protestor carrying a sign which read, "Stupid Ferry, Stupid Riders". What a bunch of .............
Old August 27th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Kumu

Da kine piliki`a dis lady stay make. It`s not like alot of us living on Maui no go to Oahu to visit our family too!!!! Lo-lo, go to the airport go tell the tourist for respect our aina, Not the local`s we already know.....I saw all kine race taking the Superferry. I think it`s something that gives people a chance to really enjoy what every Island is all about, it`s beauty as well as it`s people. And no worry if run out of guri-guri and manju. We always can get more... ENJOY OUR ISLANDS AND PEOPLE!!!!
OGGBOY
Old August 27th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Kumu

Quote:
Originally Posted by escondido100 View Post
out of curiousity i was wondering if anybody has links to any BB or Forums that the three groups that are against progress in the 21st century have on the web....
Maybe their objections toward progress preclude them from using a computer as well?
Old August 27th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Originally Posted by dick View Post
I still haven't figured out what all these protest people are against.

Aside from the speculative whale thing, what else is there to fear?

Obviously (by first-hand witness account) traffic isn't anything to worry about.

I heard people complaining that people will ruin the outer islands. The ferry will be used mainly by local people, who already have a handle on how to treat "the aina."
Just because someone grew up in Hawaii doesnt give them a automatic exemption from stupidity. Just because somebody is "local" doesnt prevent them them by birth from negatively disrespecting "the aina". I would think it is in fact the LOCALS these activists are worried about. Tourists arent going to rent a car on Oahu and use the ferry to transport their rental car around. The protesters are protesting something else. What is it?

i'll play devils advocate here for a minute. I think an EIS needs to specifically address the SF because the environmental impact of 250+ vehicles coming over from outer islands every day is still unknown.

I am not a tree hugger or a green activist by any means, but off the top of my head I can imagine a few things that need to be studied besides traffic and the size of the harbor.
1. What about seeds of invasive plants and weeds being spread much more rapidly via mud stuck in tire tread and undercarriages or fishermens and outdoor recreators 4x4 trucks?
The State of Hawaii recently hired many more DOCARE DLNR police officers to enforce poaching and other environmental crimes which are out of control on Oahu. it isn't haole tourists depleting and bleaching the reefs or taking female lobsters or lobster out of season or ignoring bag and size limits. These poachers on Oahu will surely find a ride on the SF to maui or Kauai irresistable to "rake in" or go "pound some fish". Which brings me to my following concerns I would like to see addressed in a valid EIS.
2. What about overcrowding or depletion of fishing spots? Hana on Maui is a Hawaiian fishing village. The ocean is their refrigerator. Right now, if anybody was lucky enough to be invited to legally fish Hana with a local they would find it much the same way Captain Cook found Hawaii, untouched and pristine. What would happen to the residents of Hana if this resource were disturbed or suddenly invaded by hoardes of fishermen and divers who can haul all their high tech gear from Oahu?
3. What about other fishing villages on Kauai and the Big Island? What will happen to the residents whose resources get depleted and just as important, what will happen to the unintentional or otherwise violaters of long standing local codes and psuedo-kapus?
4. How long would it take for somebody to get hurt in an extremely remote area because he was caught fishing "somebodys spot" with an Oahu license plate?
I imagine any intentional violaters of size and bag limits will find DLNR officers merciful compared to local enforcement. This needs to be addressed before somebody gets hurt.
5. Mr Garibaldis profits should be put on hold while peoples lives and the priceless few intact reef systems in Hawaii are forever lost.
These pristine reef systems are what make Hawaii unique. If we lose these, Hawaii will no longer be such a hot tourist destination and many of our livelihoods and our healthy economy which attracts companies like HSF and Trump and all the big box stores and fancy restaurants will fail miserably.

Of course it is our children that will have to pay for our mistakes and greed. We got our $19 tickets, thats all we care about is PRICE PRICE PRICE. They say righteousness usually skips a few generations. Maybe our children will one day rebuke us for our greed and stupidity in allowing Hawaii to be sold out to the lowest bidder. Maybe not, it might be our great grandchildren or maybe never.
Old August 27th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztype View Post
the music that comes on is very nice, but VERY LOUD!
Bet I know whose fault that is...and you probably do too, Blaine.
Old August 27th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel View Post
1. I don't moderate this section of the board. Only the Hawaii Media.
2. I and many others on this board absolutely hate it when you talk down to us telling us "you should do this" "you should do that" while you don't walk the walk with us in Hawaii. People have reminded you about this over and over. Still you do the same.
3. I don't care if you have contacts or not. Just the simple fact that you are living so far away from us and constantly talk down to us is disgusting.
4. And again you are telling me what to do. Get off your high horse!
Why are these concerns being addressed here, and not directed to the Administrator/Moderators in private messages? Rather than fighting back and forth in so many threads about who is telling who what they should or can say here, perhaps let the person/persons who have control over HT can best decide how it should be handled.
Old August 27th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by glossyp View Post
I loved this quote from the SB article about the HSF in today's paper: "Hilo resident Brenda McRae quipped, "It's a good thing there were no protesters around when the airlines started. Otherwise we'd still be using canoes.""
Perhaps the original residents of the Outer Banks of North Carolina (who were canoe users themselves) didn't exactly celebrate the Wright Brothers and their first test flights.

But then, I'm a whacko. And I fly on airplanes FAR more often than I ride in a canoe.
Old August 27th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Ali`i

So why not simply a restriction on permits? Oahu permits can't fish on other islands, etc?

What exactly is preventing someone from a different island right now to fly over and hunt?

And while it may be ~250 cars a day offloading, it's also ~250 cars onloading when the ship leaves. There's equilibrium. Honestly, how much inspection and cleaning happens with cars being transported by barge right now?
Old August 27th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Ali`i

I too thought the sign reading "Stupid ferry, stupid riders" was... stupid.
I also wonder about those 250 "protesters" on Kaua`i, as I think it's possible/probable that a large percentage of those people were simply there to watch SuperFerry arrive. It would've been interesting for the media to count the number of people actually holding anti-SuperFerry signs, instead of just a basic crowd count. And just like Maui, part of the "protesters" were children.
Also interesting seeing photos and noting that most of the Kaua`i protesters were haole, while most of the SuperFerry passengers were locals.
I'm getting very tired of the whackos' endless repetitions that the HSF is "breaking the law" yet they never state which law is being broken. Because, of course, NO law is being broken. The DOT gave HSF permission to proceed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star of Gladness View Post
What about seeds of invasive plants and weeds being spread much more rapidly via mud stuck in tire tread and undercarriages or fishermens and outdoor recreators 4x4 trucks?
Did you miss all the information about HSF inspecting each and every vehicle for that very situation?

Quote:
What about overcrowding or depletion of fishing spots?
Utterly ridiculous. If the HSF brings over 800 people, does anyone in their right mind really believe all 800 are going fishing? Sheesh. Let's be generous and say that a dozen people are going fishing. Anyone who thinks that will cause overcrowding or depletion is just stupid.

Quote:
What would happen to the residents of Hana if this resource were disturbed or suddenly invaded by hoardes of fishermen and divers who can haul all their high tech gear from Oahu?
I wasn't aware that HSF will be stopping in Hana.

Quote:
Mr Garibaldis profits should be put on hold while peoples lives and the priceless few intact reef systems in Hawaii are forever lost.
What, now 800 people are all going to trample reefs? Add in the nonsense about Garibaldi's "profits" (I assume you meant his salary) and... see my "stupid people" comment above.

I know you said you were "playing devil's advocate", but not a single one of those comments make any sense whatsoever. Not even close.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Old August 27th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel View Post
Alaka'i blew her horn...
Gonna keep pointing this out, but it's "Alakai," NOT "Alaka`i." The addition of the `okina makes a completely different word, with a very different meaning.

Just a typo, I know. But I also know you'd want to be accurate - no need for a GIS here (Grammatical Impact Statement.)
Old August 27th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
Just a typo, I know. But I also know you'd want to be accurate - no need for a GIS here (Grammatical Impact Statement.)
What about a GA (Grammatical Assessment)?
Old August 27th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuatree View Post
What about a GA (Grammatical Assessment)?
Instead of dealing with HDOT for that, don't you have to work through HDOE? There have been plenty of threads about problems with them...
Old August 27th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuatree View Post
What exactly is preventing someone from a different island right now to fly over and hunt?
Nothing at all. We have a number of cousins who regularly fly to the neighbor islands to hunt.
Old August 27th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to zztype

You guys see the breaking news item that says the Maui judge imposed a 2 car per minute disembarking limit?

http://starbulletin.com/breaking/breaking.php?id=6152

Imposing a remedy when there hasn't even been proven a problem yet.

Quote:
Also this morning, Maui Circuit Judge Joel August required that the Superferry release no more than two vehicles a minute on the public road when it is unloading. The ruling amended Augustís order Thursday that the Superferry take measures to lessen traffic problems caused by loading and unloading vehicles. Those measures included re-striping of the intersection near Pier II and requiring the state to manually control the traffic lights at the intersection one hour before docking and two hours after docking.

Todayís amended ruling also included a requirement that four police officers be present to control traffic during loading and unloading.
Stupid, stupid, stupid.
Old August 27th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Ali`i

Thumbs up Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

Q: Did anyone notice how many protesters greeted the SuperFerry on Maui this morning?

A: Zero. Zilch. Nada. NONE.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Old August 27th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikaNui View Post
Q: Did anyone notice how many protesters greeted the SuperFerry on Maui this morning?
A: Zero. Zilch. Nada. NONE.
They feared Mel would have 'em all busted.
Old August 27th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztype View Post
You guys see the breaking news item that says the Maui judge imposed a 2 car per minute disembarking limit?

http://starbulletin.com/breaking/breaking.php?id=6152

Imposing a remedy when there hasn't even been proven a problem yet.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.
Just set up one of those metered onramp lights you see on California freeways, 2 cars per green. Issue resolved.
Closed Thread