Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Route 808
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old January 28th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

The main thing I would worry about is if it also carried military equipment between Honolulu and the Big Island on some runs and whether or not that military equipment is carrying traces of depleted uranium from exploded armament (the same stuff that some Iraqi vets from Gulf War I are claiming is making them sick and causing birth defects among Iraqi babies). And it's not dirt from peoples' shoes that are the worry; it's the dirt and mud that will be driven aboard the boats on the tires of cars and trucks that could be the issue (I suppose that could be remedied if all trucks and cars had to drive through troughs filled with some sort of chemical disinfectant prior to boarding).

More critical, however, is the fact that all of the neighbor island harbors where Superferry is supposed to dock are way overcrowded already, and the road infrastructure is woefully inadequate around the harbor areas. The EIS's that are being requested are not just for Superferry but for evaluating the overcrowding situation at Naalehu, Kahului and Kawaihae and the requirements for all the ports for all types of use through 2030.

Miulang
Old January 28th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miulang View Post
The main thing I would worry about is if it also carried military equipment between Honolulu and the Big Island on some runs and whether or not that military equipment is carrying traces of depleted uranium from exploded armament (the same stuff that some Iraqi vets from Gulf War I are claiming is making them sick and causing birth defects among Iraqi babies). And it's not dirt from peoples' shoes that are the worry; it's the dirt and mud that will be driven aboard the boats on the tires of cars and trucks that could be the issue (I suppose that could be remedied if all trucks and cars had to drive through troughs filled with some sort of chemical disinfectant prior to boarding).

More critical, however, is the fact that all of the neighbor island harbors where Superferry is supposed to dock are way overcrowded already, and the road infrastructure is woefully inadequate around the harbor areas. The EIS's that are being requested are not just for Superferry but for evaluating the overcrowding situation at Naalehu, Kahului and Kawaihae and the requirements for all the ports for all types of use through 2030.

Miulang
Some ideas regarding transporting of military equipment.

1) Perhaps basically ban SF from serving military contracts though I find this hard and unfair considering HA/AQ do it all the time.

2) Assuming no DU rounds are used for training, establish independent team with Geiger counters to inspect cargo each time before it gets loaded. Surely, there must be a radioactive threshold considered safe to the populace? Let's not kid ourselves, radioactive material is shipped around the world every day in the form of medical uses, etc, via everyday carriers like UPS & FedEx. How do you know that box of cookies from mom wasn't sitting next to a shipment of Polonium in a Fedex truck?

Regarding invasive species, I am all for prevention of invasive species but we really need to make the standards uniform. Why does a car need a chemical spray down on SF when nothing is required on a barge? I believe every flight to Australia gets a chemical spray down to prevent invasive species. Check out the youtube clip, they don't care if there's a pax sitting there, they just spray. So if Hawaii introduces a uniform code that applies to all airlines and ships, then I'm all for it. But if you're selectively picking on SF, I have to say there are ulterior motives.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXrTi81FP5E

I have no probs with EIS for harbor masterplans but people need to realize SF applied under current State regulations that did not require an EIS so people should direct the anger at the State, not a company that's trying to start up another link between the islands.
Old January 28th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuatree View Post
Some ideas regarding transporting of military equipment.

1) Perhaps basically ban SF from serving military contracts though I find this hard and unfair considering HA/AQ do it all the time.

2) Assuming no DU rounds are used for training, establish independent team with Geiger counters to inspect cargo each time before it gets loaded. Surely, there must be a radioactive threshold considered safe to the populace? Let's not kid ourselves, radioactive material is shipped around the world every day in the form of medical uses, etc, via everyday carriers like UPS & FedEx. How do you know that box of cookies from mom wasn't sitting next to a shipment of Polonium in a Fedex truck?
Unfortunately, it appears that DU-armed armament has been tested at Schofield Barracks.
Quote:
The extent of adverse health and environmental effects of uranium weapons contamination is not limited to combat zones but includes facilities and sites where uranium weapons were manufactured or tested including Vieques; Puerto Rico; Colonie, New York; Concord, MA; Jefferson Proving Grounds, Indiana; and Schofield Barracks, Hawaii. Therefore medical care must be provided by the United States Department of Defense officials to all individuals affected by the manufacturing, testing, and/or use of uranium munitions. Thorough environmental remediation also must be completed without further delay.
Some scientists believe there is no "safe" level of radioactivity for humans, and uranium is one of the deadliest forms of radioactive elements.

Miulang
Old January 28th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
The main thing I would worry about is if it also carried military equipment (...)
Well, that's a big "if". We don't know that they're going to do that, and "if" they did, wouldn't they be subject to extremely stringent controls? I mean, a non-military company carrying military material... gotta be regulations and oversights already in place, yeah?

Quote:
And it's not dirt from peoples' shoes that are the worry;
Yes, actually that is a worry. Ever notice how many of Hawaii's hiking trails have step-through brushes installed at the trail heads and large signs begging people to clean their boot soles so as not to introduce invasive species? So yes, shoes are a worry.
But again, why not make all interisland carriers, of any transportation mode, do the same thing? Why just the SuperFerry? Can we spell "discrimination', boys and girls? Yes, I knew you could.

Quote:
it's the dirt and mud that will be driven aboard the boats on the tires of cars and trucks that could be the issue
And again, why not the tires of vehicles on the barges??? Why just the SuperFerry?
Oh. Right. Because the barge companies don't want the competition so they're behind the "sky is falling" pseudo-panic. $hee$h.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Old January 28th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Ali`i

"The sky is falling!"----Chicken Little

The Superferry consists of ONE SHIP. Eventually....TWO SHIPS.

Gimme a damn break already. Do you have any clue as to how many ships arrive on a daily basis from Asia and the Mainland? Inter-island? Leisure cruises?

Can you say "airlines fearing competition manipulating eco-freako groups?"
Old January 29th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Ali`i

Looks like there are some new exterior pics of the first ship. And guess the mascot is a stingray.

http://hawaiisuperferry.com/story56.aspx
Old February 1st, 2007, 10:57 PM
Kanaka

Oh goody -- does that mean that is the first marine creature they intend to
ram? ( )
Old February 2nd, 2007, 12:16 AM
Ali`i

Cool Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by koloagirl View Post
Oh goody -- does that mean that is the first marine creature they intend to ram? ( )
Gee, funny how you ignore the recent news reports about the tour company boats and private boats hitting whales this year, as reported on the front page of yesterday's Honolulu Advertiser at this link. Why don't you expend some energy complaining about them instead of the nonexistent SuperFerry?

Last edited by LikaNui; February 2nd, 2007 at 12:23 AM.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 04:29 PM
Kia`aina

Maybe because tourism is the #1 industry?
Old February 2nd, 2007, 05:40 PM
Ali`i

If it comes down to choosing between more cruise ships and Superferry for taking space on the crowded piers at Naalehu, Kawaihae and Kahului, I would choose Superferry because it will serve local residents. Don't need any more cruise ships cluttering the harbors! Top priority, though, should be space for barges and shipment of needed goods and supplies.

Miulang
Old February 2nd, 2007, 05:53 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
If it comes down to choosing between more cruise ships and Superferry for taking space on the crowded piers at Naalehu, Kawaihae and Kahului, I would choose Superferry because it will serve local residents. Don't need any more cruise ships cluttering the harbors! Top priority, though, should be space for barges and shipment of needed goods and supplies.

Miulang

Start a SuperBarge?
Old February 2nd, 2007, 07:50 PM
Kia`aina

Super Barge, nice, lol.

I'm taking a weeks vacation and ferrying my ohana + car to Maui in July .
Old February 3rd, 2007, 12:05 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Miulang, I hope you're sitting down, because this is going to come as a big shock to you, but... I agree 100% with every word you wrote! Well done.
[/high five]

Old February 6th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Kanaka

Since everyone thinks that the Super Ferry is such a great and wonderful improvement for our islands -- I sincerely hope this will be true.

I'll continue to harbor my own doubts and hope that they are proved wrong a year from now.

I'm outta here -- too much aggression!
Old February 7th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Ali`i

Default Superferry EIS bill advances

Well, it looks like the Neighbor Island legislators are keeping true to their word and are pushing through HB 702, which would require an EIS for Superferry.

Quote:
But the chairwoman of that panel, Kauai Rep. Hermina “Mina” Morita, said the legislative attempt to require a complete environmental study of the Superferry’s impacts has just begun.

Based on discussion by committee members and the panel’s vote, she said, “We’ve got a long, tough road to go down.”

House Bill 702 passed with six ayes and two nays, but three of the aye votes came with reservations. Voting in favor of the bill without reservation were Morita, East Maui-Molokai-Lanai Rep. Mele Carroll (who introduced the House bill) and Oahu Rep. Scott Saiki. Those voting in favor but with reservations were Oahu lawmakers Pono Chong and Michael Magaoay and Roland Sagum of Kauai. Voting against the measure were Reps. Ken Ito and Cynthia Thielen, both of Oahu.

Acknowledging that some of her colleagues are “unsure” about the measure, Carroll said the bill passed with an amendment proposed by Morita that would allow the Transportation Department to assess the Hawaii Superferry for the costs of a complete environmental impact statement.

...Transportation officials opposed the bill as being “unnecessary” and possibly “legally flawed.” They maintained it “will adversely affect and impact the activities associated with improving and expanding our state commercial harbors.”

“The proposed legislation is based on an incorrect assumption that the state Harbors Division undertakes commercial harbor improvements without observing or complying with the state’s environmental review process,” the department’s testimony states.

Although Kahului Harbor modifications are required to allocate space to a Superferry dock, the department testimony said the actual work will accommodate Young Brothers’ needs.

“The majority of improvements being undertaken at Kahului Harbor are intended to improve operating conditions for the Young Brothers interisland barge service,” it said.

...The House bill is a companion measure to one drafted and introduced in the Senate by Central Maui Sen. Shan Tsutsui. Maui Sens. J. Kalani English and Roz Baker also signed on as co-sponsors of Senate Bill 1276, which is scheduled for a public hearing this afternoon before the Senate Transportation and International Affairs Committee (chaired by English) and the Energy and Environment Committee (chaired by Oahu Sen. Ron Menor).
So the big question is would the time required to decide whether an EIS is needed delay the inauguration of service to Maui scheduled for July, and if it does, will Garibaldi et al pull the plug on the operation? (My guess is no, because they already have too much money invested in the project).

Miulang
Old February 7th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Superferry EIS bill advances

Quote:
Well, it looks like the Neighbor Island legislators are keeping true to their word and are pushing through HB 702, which would require an EIS for Superferry.

So the big question is would the time required to decide whether an EIS is needed delay the inauguration of service to Maui scheduled for July, and if it does, will Garibaldi et al pull the plug on the operation? (My guess is no, because they already have too much money invested in the project).

Miulang
Just tossing this in, with no knowledge of such things but---I'm wondering if the Superferry operators would have any legal grounds to recover damages if they are squashed so late in the game?

After all, at this point they would certainly believe that the ferry is a done deal. It's been years from package to plate, after all.
Old February 7th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
Just tossing this in, with no knowledge of such things but---I'm wondering if the Superferry operators would have any legal grounds to recover damages if they are squashed so late in the game?

After all, at this point they would certainly believe that the ferry is a done deal. It's been years from package to plate, after all.
Well. according to the contract they signed with the State, they get something like $20k a day (Or maybe it was per month...anyway, there's a liquidated damages clause in the contract) for delays in starting service. I'd like to know WHO in the State negotiated that contract. Was it now-deposed DOT director Rod Haraga?

Miulang
Old February 7th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
I'm wondering if the Superferry operators would have any legal grounds to recover damages if they are squashed so late in the game?
Oh, heck YES, you're right -- they'll be suing 'til the proverbial cows come home! They've got tens and tens of millions already invested, the ship has already been launched and is about to begin its voyage here, staff has been hired, tons and tons of money have been spent in facilities, crew and staff training, expenses of hiring and advertising, and God knows what all else... and at the very last second a couple of legislative idiots want to change the rules and stop everything?!?! Hell yes, the SuperFerry will sue. And the state will end up paying a bloody fortune. That $75 million from the Ko Olina Aquarium that was kicked back to the state? Ka-CHING it goes to the SuperFerry lawsuit.
And even that quote from Miulang's article today said "The majority of improvements being undertaken at Kahului Harbor are intended to improve operating conditions for the Young Brothers interisland barge service”, but no, all the whiners wat to do is blame it on the SuperFerry.
This is all going from dumb to dumber. WAY dumber.

Old February 7th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Ali`i

Miulang, $20,000 per day wouldn't even come close to how much they'll be losing every day they're delayed, as I'm sure you're aware.

Old February 7th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikaNui View Post
That $75 million from the Ko Olina Aquarium that was kicked back to the state? Ka-CHING it goes to the SuperFerry lawsuit..
They're gonna have to fight for that $75 million tax credit with the folks who want to now put an aquarium in Kaka'ako.

Miulang
Old February 7th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
They're gonna have to fight for that $75 million tax credit with the folks who want to now put an aquarium in Kaka'ako.
Yeah, I know. You're right. But who the heck thinks we need another aquarium in Kaka'ako? Fix and improve the one we already have, I say. But we should probabloy start another thread for that topic.

Old February 7th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Ali`i

At the close of the news story on TV last night, it was mentioned that this latest move is expected to get bottled up in committee and die there.
Old February 7th, 2007, 10:40 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanpacific View Post
At the close of the news story on TV last night, it was mentioned that this latest move is expected to get bottled up in committee and die there.
As well it should. And once again, our elected officials waste valuable time on a bill that never should have been introduced in the first place. Lack of forethought. Like the bill to purchase a private jet for the state, and Hanabusa can't even remember who first suggested it, yet she authored the bill.
Who elects these airheads?!?

Old February 7th, 2007, 11:24 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikaNui View Post
As well it should. And once again, our elected officials waste valuable time on a bill that never should have been introduced in the first place. Lack of forethought. Like the bill to purchase a private jet for the state, and Hanabusa can't even remember who first suggested it, yet she authored the bill.
Who elects these airheads?!?
Nah, it's called "delayed hindsight" by the Neighbor Island legislators. Of course, they could plead ignorance by saying that the DOT and Superferry were in cahoots (wonder if this is one of the reasons why Rod Haraga got fired?) and didn't give them all the information they needed earlier, but they gotta put up at least a token fight because a vast majority of the residents of Maui don't think Superferry is a good idea if it means that they won't be able to get their basic necessities shipped to them and the canoe clubs can't practice in Kahului Harbor (canoeing is a big deal on Maui). Many people think it's an Oahu conspiracy to again take advantage of the Neighbor Islands (looking at the pricing chart, it will be cheaper for Honolulu folks to travel to the Neighbor Islands than vice versa).

Miulang
Old February 8th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Nah, it's called "delayed hindsight" by the Neighbor Island legislators. Of course, they could plead ignorance by saying that the DOT and Superferry were in cahoots (wonder if this is one of the reasons why Rod Haraga got fired?) and didn't give them all the information they needed earlier, but they gotta put up at least a token fight because a vast majority of the residents of Maui don't think Superferry is a good idea if it means that they won't be able to get their basic necessities shipped to them and the canoe clubs can't practice in Kahului Harbor (canoeing is a big deal on Maui). Many people think it's an Oahu conspiracy to again take advantage of the Neighbor Islands (looking at the pricing chart, it will be cheaper for Honolulu folks to travel to the Neighbor Islands than vice versa).

Miulang
It's only cheaper if you are trying to get from one neighbor island to another neighbor island because SF will charge as two separate trips and Oahu will be the hub/transit point. That's not a conspiracy but rather the reality of demographics and supply/demand. Unless there is sufficient demand to go direct between two neighbor islands, routing will be via Oahu. Or unless if another neighbor island will gladly become the concrete jungle and hub for the state instead of Oahu.

As for canoe clubs, that's great but honestly, is it really a great idea to mix pleasure/recreation/sport watercrafts with commercial/industrial watercrafts? Would the time and money wasted on this token fight be put to better use in exploring and developing a separate facility for the canoe clubs? Ultimately, it's a breakwater that is what the canoe clubs really need.
Closed Thread