Model rocketry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Model rocketry

If anyone is planning on going to launch at Windward Community College on Saturday May 27, 2006 (tomorrow), there is a slight change in location or time.

The usual field that we use will become available after 5:00 pm and I guess it will last to about 7:00 pm (it's summer). We might launch somewhere else at Windward CC between the 2:30 pm to 5:00 pm time frame. If we do then it will be limited to really low power engines (1/2A to A).

If you want more information please PM me.

Comment

When my son was a young boy, he and his friends would get those rocket engines (Estes, I think was the brand name), chop them up and make bombs.

He got in BIG trouble.

Comment

Was going thru the Estes web site today and I noticed an option called Classic Series. It is a 9 page PDF document that describes 17 model rockets kits to be released during Spring 2009. These kits were originally desgined during the 1970's and 1980's and were originally sold by Estes and Centuri.

It also list an additional 25 rocket kits that are planned to be released in the Summer of 2009.

Comment

Launched a LOC/Precision Caliber ISP rocket this past Sunday.
          Attached Files

Comment

Kewl, Helen. I have yet to take my daughter out for a rocketry outing. We finally picked up a few inexpensive rocket kits and finally found a launcher on Craigs. Now I'm shocked at how the prices of the motors have gone up.

Can you recommend a place that has good prices for the motors? Do you make your own?

Comment

There is a launch this Saturday at Windward Community College from 2:30 pm to 5:00 pm. As far as getting the engines locally you can try Hobbietat, Wellers and Hobby Company. Depending on the rockets you have get A or B engines, the field at Windward CC is not that big.

Also model rocketry is not about making your own engines.

Comment

Photos from the August 15 launch (via Flickr).

Comment

Aiya! Sorry we missed it, again. Didn't check back till this morning.

Okay then, I guess you don't make your own.
                  Actually, I was thinking more of the expensive ones that can be reused, but I'm guessing that the components for the fuel is hard to come by locally. Oh well. I'll be checking around the places you mentioned. I already picked up a pack from Hobbietat, but I know I'm going to need more.

Comment

More than likey you are referring to reloadable motors. Even in that case you don't mix any chemicals, you just use the pre-made propellant chucks (otherwise known as grains) that you buy from motor manufacter into the reloadable motor.

While it can be argued that the reloadable motors has a cheaper cost per flight than a single use motor, you will need to up front the cost of the motor casing and time needed to prepare the motor for flight and to clean the motor after the flight.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                      More than likey you are referring to reloadable motors. Even in that case you don't mix any chemicals, you just use the pre-made propellant chucks (otherwise known as grains) that you buy from motor manufacter into the reloadable motor.

While it can be argued that the reloadable motors has a cheaper cost per flight than a single use motor, you will need to up front the cost of the motor casing and time needed to prepare the motor for flight and to clean the motor after the flight.
                      Do you need a permit or a license to operate rockets equipped with reloadable motors? Sounds like these buggahs can go pretty high.
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

For the concept of using reloadable motors itself no, but there is an issue of being certified to fly rockets powered by H motors or higher.

Comment

Re: ATTN: HELEN, Re: Model rocketry contest

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                          How do you determine height?
                          Some rockets can carry an altimeter. It is a battery powered device that measures the air pressure. It needs to measure the air pressure on the ground first, then it's placed in the rocket, as it goes up the air pressure decreases. After it stops decreasing the altimeter will then compare the air pressure levels between the ground and the lowest air pressure to get the height.

Comment

Picked up a small camera from the Brookstone store at Ward Centre around a month ago. It is small and light enough to fit inside a model rocket so yesterday I launched it a few times.

This video is from the ground while this one is from inside the rocket.

Comment

When I was a Cubmaster in the 1980's and early 1990's, we built and launched model rockets. I made my own remote ignition device, and I let each cub actuate the ignition. Some of them went as high as 1000 feet. They are a lot of fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Pretender View Post
                                Thanks Helen. My point of reference is 1970's technology.

Hey Speed, remember the launch console used at Honorocs events? It could control 7+ launch points on that converted saw horse like launch pad and had a vehicle-like safety key Mike Okuda or Mike Lim would always carry the key around their necks.
                                Yes I remember that Launch pad and how they controlled THE KEY! Got back into building again. Also bought some parts to build a control box.

I just talked to Mike Okuda. I asked him to find the old logo and some pics. He dont remember where he put them. I know someone here had the old logo. Post it up if you have it.

Comment

Working...
                                X