Pickles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickles

My cucumber plants are flowering, and that means fresh pickles soon!
    I got a "practice cuke" from Safeway, pickled that, and it was sooo good, it only took 3 days to eat them all. Now I have a jar of leftover brine.

Here's my question - can I reuse the vinegar/dill/brine solution, or do I have to make a fresh batch? (Susie, I'll bet you know the answer!)

Also, anyone have any good pickle recipes? For icebox pickles, not the 'can it and leave it for months' kind.
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Re: Pickles

As I understand it, you probably won't want to reuse the brine for another batch, as it gets watered down from the natural cuke juices. But you CAN add the used brine to other things, ranging from tartar sauce to V-8 juice.

Alton "Good Eats" Brown probably has some good icebox pickle recipes either at his website or that of the Food Network, as he has done a show on them.

Comment

Get some hamburger dill chips and drain out the water and replace it with sugar...turn the jar upside down and right side up for a few days til the sugar dissolves...Voila! Sweet pickle chips.
      http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
      http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Roll Mop Herrings

As you roll the herrings sprinkle them lightly in pickling spice, which you can get in Wallmart. They will preserve in the brine for a long time but are so delicious, I bet they wont last more than a few days.

Comment

While Americans are most familiar with cucumber pickles, and usually only eat them with sandwiches, the Japanese have been pickling everything under the sun for CENTURIES, and for BALANCE, are still served as part of most complete meals to this day.

Here's a spread of Goteborg Musubis I presented a while ago on my blog; most of which use 'Tsukemono', the Japanese term for "pickled things"....

Goteborg Musubi with various Tsukemono toppings

The red "dot" on the bottom left is Ume, a Japanese tart pickled plum, and very popular for Omusubi.

In the center column on the top is a combination of Iriko, which are dried and salted anchovies that are fried with shoyu, along with Sushi Shoga (sweet pickled ginger) and local style pickled onions (from my friend).

In the center column, center is Beni Shoga (the red stuff), which is a more acidic pickled ginger, similar to Ume. Goes GREAT with meats and fish!

In the center column, bottom is Goma Konbu which is essentially sweetened pickled seaweed with sesame seeds. Another one of my favorites.

In the top right column is the Korean classic pickled cabbage we all know and love called Kim Chee.

And finally in the top right column bottom is Kyuri Zuke, which are Japanese style pickled cucumbers, that taste similar to Namasu.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
            ... which are Japanese style pickled cucumbers, that taste similar to Namasu.
            Why not just go for cucumber namasu? It's usually made with Japanese-style cucumber (don't know what kind of cucumber you're growing, TG; and I'm not sure how regular cucumbers would do). But it's simple, quick, and inexpensive. Slice some cucumbers very thin, also some carrots and daikon very thin. Then marinate them in the sauce: about 1 tablespoon sugar to 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar and a pinch of salt (adjusted to amount of vegetables). Refrigerated for about 2-4 hours. Drain and enjoy. Very light and refreshing.

Note: my Mom used to add canned clams (hokki, I believe), sliced very thin. I think that's related to cucumber sumiso. That was my favorite, but I haven't had that in years.
            Last edited by Honoruru; September 5, 2009, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
              Note: my Mom used to add canned clams (hokki, I believe), sliced very thin. I think that's related to cucumber sumiso. That was my favorite, but I haven't had that in years.
              I remember a fellow Hawaii food blogger named Lindy emailed me a recipe using Hokkigai Clams (the canned stuff). It was quite simple: just a mixture of the Hokkigai clams and marinated japanese vegetables (the one that comes in a plastic bag), mixed together with steamed white rice. Sounded so oishii!
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I have a ton of cukes from time to time from my garden so I feel ya on that. What I do is pickle them in different ways - my family particularly enjoys garlic ones. I get a roasted garlic powder from an online source and mix that into the brine with some dill seed and then mash some white pepper in the poundah and add that in too.

I don't bother with boiled water and such. I just add vinegar (try different kinds too), sugar, salt.

Try the Maui raw sugar, it is more caramelly and fragrant. Lucky I live on Kauai, because my friend makes me salt from salt pond and I put some of that in there too. If you can get it, it makes awesome pickle juice.

Comment

The above recipe seems delicious.

This may seem boring ? Today I spent an hour peeling small onions and put hem in a big old fashioned sweetie (candy) jar. Added a bit of salt some sugar and white wine vinegar,,, then topped it up with brine. Then a teaspoon of garlic and a sprinkle of black pepper.
                  There is enough to last me until Christmas. Every few days I turn the jar upside down. The onions still remain lovely and crunchy despite their pickling.

ps. The onions I get are called 'silver skins' > tiny but I have seen them in Hawai'i. What a laborious job !
                  Last edited by Barry; September 14, 2009, 03:03 AM.

Comment

I use leftover pickle juice and a little bit of olive oil to marinate chicken before hibachi. I guess it would work with shrimp, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharilyn View Post
                      I use leftover pickle juice and a little bit of olive oil to marinate chicken before hibachi. I guess it would work with shrimp, too.

Shrimp or Prawn Sure.
                      Let it stay in the fridge for 24 hrs > then it will be delicious. Try some crunchy salad with it. Not fattening !

Comment

I made 2 more batches of pickles. For one, i reused the old brine, and the pickles came out perfect, though with a lighter flavor than the previous cukes. For the 2nd one, I made a new brine. Both batches tasted great!

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                          I made 2 more batches of pickles. For one, i reused the old brine, and the pickles came out perfect, though with a lighter flavor than the previous cukes. For the 2nd one, I made a new brine. Both batches tasted great!

Well done clap, clap if you keep them in screw topped jars, they with last foreverer and improve in flavour.

Comment

If only I could keep myself from eating them within 2-3 days!

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
                              The above recipe seems delicious.

This may seem boring ? Today I spent an hour peeling small onions and put hem in a big old fashioned sweetie (candy) jar. Added a bit of salt some sugar and white wine vinegar,,, then topped it up with brine. Then a teaspoon of garlic and a sprinkle of black pepper.
                              There is enough to last me until Christmas. Every few days I turn the jar upside down. The onions still remain lovely and crunchy despite their pickling.

ps. The onions I get are called 'silver skins' > tiny but I have seen them in Hawai'i. What a laborious job !

Do you refrigerate these?

Comment

Working...
                              X