This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: HT's Photo Sharing Thread - Chapter 4

Great pictures! My favorites are the chickens (I love chickens!), Ahuimanu, and the koi!

Please post pics of crazy north shore surfers!! I hear Sunny Garcia was competing yesterday, and I was thisclose to going up to see!
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

My bestest surf pic. The ones with the tow-er (jetski) and the tow-ee are too blurry.

TG, just for you. Moa moa!! hahahaha

last one kinda blurry, but I got one more for ya--see next post....

Comment

This little sweetie was peeping in a box in my bathroom one morning. DS was sure we could keep it as a pet; we found it a home with another flock of moa later that day.

thanks for the nice words, you guys. But I wonder if you really should encourage me. My family thinks it's getting out of hand, but it beats cross stitch!
        Last edited by cyleet99; December 3, 2008, 04:02 PM. Reason: adding thanks

Comment

Great Kaua'i pics, Cyleet! I especially like the one of your boy with the koi.

I made the Journey to the East (Big Island, that is) over Thanksgiving. One day I went to Puna, past Pahoa, all the way to where the road was destroyed by the last lava flow. From there you can get out of your car and walk across the relatively new lava to the sea. This first pic is looking across the lava field toward Halemaumau on the horizon.

This is where the trail leads. I think this flow is from the late 80's and the sea has rounded lots of the lava in the surf. The sand is black as coal. Plus, there was this bonus rainbow.

Here's a zoom on Halemaumau's plume. Puna rocks. It was easy to see why people would want to live out there, off the grid.

Comment

This one's from the Heritage Scenic Drive as your just coming into Hilo from the Hamakua Coast. Made me feel all warm and fuzzy.

These flowers were falling on the ground from somewhere. I couldn't see any that were still on the source plant.

This Myna was in the palm outside my lanai.

Comment

At the Keauhou Bay Sheraton, you can view Manta Rays from this large lanai on the lava shelf right on the ocean. The light shines into the water and attracts the krill. The krill attract the Mantas. The Mantas attract the people. It all attracted me and my camera and now it's attracting you. The attraction is irresistable.

I went snorkeling at Kahalu'u and Honaunau and got a few underwater shots. Sunday afternoon at Honaunau was pure magic. I keep playing it back in my mind. I didn't want it to end. I still don't. February???

Comment

Comment

Jim, those are Beautiful! The colors are gorgeous, and I love the mynah/frond textures. The double rainbow beach scene is so colorful.

Those orange flowers are from a tree; don't know the name. I love the flower colors in Hawai`i and how strong they are against the greens.

Lovely fish pics, too. I Love Moorish Idols! We have little ones in the reef here.

Comment

Thanks for the great photos, Cyleet99 and Jim75! They're all terrific, but I've gotta say that photo of the stream/rainforest from the Heritage Scenic Drive in post #290 is spectacular!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                      I've gotta say that photo of the stream/rainforest from the Heritage Scenic Drive in post #290 is spectacular!
                      I agree with LikaNui. I love the different shades of green it the itty bitty red flowers. The color of the rocks, just under the water, reminds me of coffee candy. Yum!

I like how sharp the entire picture is, and yet the background isn't overwhelming or distracting.

Hey Jim. In that manta rays at the Keauhou Bay Sheraton, is that fog/mist on the water, or just waves + long exposure? I'm guessing the latter.
                      "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                      "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                      "
                      Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

A coworker pointed out these ultra high res panoramas of Hawaii (each time you double click, it zooms in closer):

http://www.xrez.com/oahu_p2_giga.html
                        http://www.xrez.com/oahu_p4_giga.html
                        http://www.xrez.com/oahu_olom_giga.html

(try to find the hiker in the third link)

Here's their homepage.
                        "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                        "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                        "
                        Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Great picts Jim. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Thanks for the comments, all.

MJ, the Sheraton pic was taken by holding the camera firm against the surface of the handrailing for a 20 second exposure. The splashing of the surf "painted" the foggy mist. I had hoped to be able to photograph the Mantas, but it would require a higher ISO and/or maybe a good speedlight.

Comment

They are all superb.

Do you mind if I share these of my part of the world. Seasonal photos. Not taken by me but the credit must go to DaveB.

By merln, shot with FinePix F31fd at 2008-12-02

Comment

By merln at 2008-12-02

Comment

Working...
                                X