Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Star Gazing

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
    The best was a gadget that when pointed at the night sky can tell you... by name alot of what you see and if asked will lead you to where you request!
    I can't remember what it's called. Plawler?
    Well, that beats the crap out of a Rude starfinder.

Too many telescope companies using "Starfinder" as a brand name instead of a function. I'd love to hear more about this gadget.
    Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
    Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
    We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
    Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
      For the 11:30 pm session I noticed a light going from west to east also on the south side. Figured it for a plane but I doubt it, it was a commercial jet coming from the South Pacific going to Honolulu.
      Oh, Helen, I LOVE stargazing! I'm far out enough in the country to get away from most light pollution.

On cloudless nights (when we get them) I will often see satellites cruising by going West to East. Most Jets don't follow direct W-E, and their lights would be flashing. I've also seen the circumpolar satellites, going from North to South. Once I saw two pass within a thumb's width of each other in the sky, but they were likely miles apart.

The Big Dipper is in the North, but I forget what time of night and what time of year it is most visible. The Advertiser has an astrology section in the last Sunday paper of the month, tells you where the planets are, when meteor showers happen, all the visible constellations, etc.
      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
      ~ ~
      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The sacred Honolulu Star Bulletin didn't include the Astrononomy half-page this month!

Call or write Mark Plate, Editor: 525-8080, an lt him know itmis important to us.

OR, we will lose it!
        ~ ~

Comment

My calls and messages to Mark Plate have gone unanswered.
          I am hoping that tomorrow's Advertiser has the monthly scheduled astronomy section.
          ~ ~

Comment

I've just read this thread and it's so good to see that others on HT have a passion for stargazing! I've just recently become hooked and only have a pair of binos so far but a telescope is on the way Anyone know if there are any astronomy shops on Oahu? I couldn't find anything in the phone book and google.
            What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

Originally posted by StinkyTheGrump View Post
              I've just read this thread and it's so good to see that others on HT have a passion for stargazing! I've just recently become hooked and only have a pair of binos so far but a telescope is on the way Anyone know if there are any astronomy shops on Oahu? I couldn't find anything in the phone book and google.
              It can be cheaper and with more choices to shop online. I got my 6" diameter newtonian for $250 with shipping off e-bay. Diameter is the most important thing since small telescopes like the 60mm ones show very little detail. Of course if one wants a scope of equal power to mine with all the fancy stuff on it and the best names, it could run $1000.

Comment

Originally posted by AlohaKine View Post
                It can be cheaper and with more choices to shop online. I got my 6" diameter newtonian for $250 with shipping off e-bay. Diameter is the most important thing since small telescopes like the 60mm ones show very little detail. Of course if one wants a scope of equal power to mine with all the fancy stuff on it and the best names, it could run $1000.
                Yep I agree it's definitely cheaper to get stuff online. I actually got my whole setup from eyepiece to tripod online from various used sources. I would be amenable to supporting a local shop if the prices weren't prohibitively expensive; I kind of like getting some hands on with stuff before I take the plunge. I'm still not aware of any place on Oahu that sells this kind of equipment though.
                What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

For you stargazers who have iPhones, there is a fantastic little $3 app called Pocket Universe. It's easily worth the price.

It works especially well if you have a (compass-equipped) 3GS. It combines GPS, compass, and accelerometer data so that all you do is hold the phone in front of you, look in any direction, and the phone displays a map of what you're looking at with names of stars, planets and constellations. As you look around, the starmap scrolls around too. Hold it straight out to the horizon, above your head, or anywhere in between, too.

It's one of my favorite apps.

Comment

Orionid Meteor Showers

Tonight after midnight and through dawn!
                    It's the Earth passing through long ago leftover debris from Halley's Comet.
                    orionid meteor shower peaks overnight
                    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Not quite 'star gazing', but...

There is a spectacular pass of the International Space Station tomorrow morning, Wednesday July 20, at 5:19 to 5:26am.
                      Also the shuttle has separated and flying solo.

It will go right across the top of the sky. Magnitude will be minus 3.5, or nearly as bright as Venus ever gets.
                      The ISS will appear in the southwest, pass near the moon, cross close to the zenith, and vanish in the northeast.

Pass Details
                      Event Time Altitude
                      Azimuth
                      Distance (km)
                      Leaves shadow 05:19:34 12° 221° (SW ) 1,274
                      Maximum altitude 05:22:25 82° 320° (NW ) 385
                      Drops below 10° altitude 05:25:31 10° 38° (NE ) 1,397
                      Sets 05:27:34 -0° 39° (NE ) 2,251

Note: this info is from this web site, heavens-above.com:
                      http://heavens-above.com/
                      When I checked this morning, they still had space shuttle Atlantis as being docked at the ISS.
                      They have now separated, so I imagine heavens-above will post the times sometime today for the shuttle appearances as well.
                      Last edited by Menehune Man; July 19, 2011, 05:38 PM.

Comment

darn, I was awake, but forgot. I missed it.
                        (My cat woke me up, I couldn't figure out why. Her food was full, her litter was clean, she had toys..... I figured she was reminding me to take my medications. I should have just wandered outside.

I've seen circumpolar and W-E satellites cross paths above my house. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate! (Oops, wrong second reference)

I love the nighttime sky. Our last two comets have disappointed me, but I've seen such SPECTACULAR meteor showers!!! They gave me eye-worms (like visual ear-worms).

Stars, planets, man-made reflectors. I like to watch. (What movie was that from? Ah! Being There!)
                        ~ ~

Comment

Heard about this @ Geek Meet '12!
                          UH Institute for Astrononmy is holding another open house.
                          Sunday April 29th 11am to 4pm
                          2680 Woodlawn Drive, Manoa
                          http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu

I went a few years ago and had a blast! I'm going again... how 'bout you?!

Comment

Meteor shower coming up again, night of the 21st, next Saturday, if my figures are right.
                            ~ ~

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                              Meteor shower coming up again, night of the 21st, next Saturday, if my figures are right.
                              Yes, the Lyrids. NE part of the sky, best after 10 pm until dawn Sunday. Also, with a new moon at that time, the skies will be darker.

Comment

Legos Space Station

Taken today at the UH Astronomy Open House... another sighting of Pzarquon and lovely daughter.

We really had fun! Lots of exhibits, few photos. And even found a couple of Geocaches nearby!

A Flickr Set

Comment

Working...
                                X