X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shake and Quake!

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
    On a lighter note...

If, all of a sudden, we see an increase of births come July 2007, we know why.
    HAHA!!! no kidding! i guess i wasn't the only one making the most of the outage.
    life is ok sometimes

Comment

Glad everyone's safe and sound. So who PO'd the Goddess?
      “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
      http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

I knew that Tmobile and Cingular's coverage was out (well, I only experienced Tmobile's outage, but I read about cingular's outage on a cell phone forum). What about the other cell phone carriers? If I remember correctly, Nextel has generators on their cell towers (if not, then they can always use PTT). Anyone has any info on what carrier worked or not?
        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

I haven't read the whole thread yet so not sure if someone else posted this but...
          77 photos from the Big Island are available at this page.
          On the right side are a series of thumbnails you can click on, and under them are arrows to click to the next gallery of photos.
          These are from West Hawaii Today newspaper, most submitted by residents there. Amazing.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I didn't even think that others had cellular problems. I was chugging along with Sprint all day, browsing the web, answering e-mail, posting photos. Considering all the panicked messages I was getting from outside the islands, I was glad to be able to update a few folks. I was only worried about my battery going dead.

Comment

My Cingular phone had almost no reception for most of the day. It was odd; text messages were getting through but not voice calls.

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                The pilot rode the Wikiwiki trolley with everyone from the flight and they were all talking about how the runway was off to the right of them on the initial attempt and how he had to pull it back up and out of there. then circled around for another attempt. Our friend said that the pilot said "That was a close call". So believe it brother.
                If they were landing on runway 4L then runway 4R is to the right. People sitting on that side would see the other runway thinking they'd missed it.

With enough practice airplanes aren't that hard to land, even the bigger ones. I managed to land a 737 on the first try, having flown only smaller single-engine planes.

Then again, if the rain squall were hard enough and if there were microbursts at the time, then it could be nearly impossible to get the plane down safely. In which case it wasn't the lack of lights or electronic guidance but bad weather. And that can happen even when all the bells and whistles are working 100%.

Comment

By the way, with all the postings going on right after the power outage, how many had RoadRunner and how many had DSL?

RR was out all day and probably got restored sometime overnight.

I'm guessing that DSL was working just fine most of the time since regular phone service wasn't too badly interrupted.

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
                    I managed to land a 737 on the first try, having flown only smaller single-engine planes.
                    Well I would hope so! I would hope everyone is able to land them before they even fly them at least on a simulator!

Comment

• Re: Shake and Quake!

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                      I didn't even think that others had cellular problems.
                      I tried to call my dad on Kauai twice using my Tracfone and it didn't complete the call but after waiting 15 minutes or so I tried again and I managed to talk to him.

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
                      By the way, with all the postings going on right after the power outage, how many had RoadRunner and how many had DSL?

I'm guessing that DSL was working just fine most of the time since regular phone service wasn't too badly interrupted.
                      I got DSL. Was able to get on the Internet a few minutes after power was restored. As of 7:15 am my Digital Cable TV service is still unavailable.

Comment

Those photos of the landslide in Kealakekua Bay were awesome. That's a lot of debris that is going to cover the reef ecosystem there. I'm swimming there tomorrow, so I will give a report and maybe take some underwater photos.

Funny how rainwater runoff from Hokulia was but a trickle of mud compared to the massive rock slide and dust cloud from an earthquake. I wonder who the LibNuts will sue for this one. It is also noteworthy that after the Hokulia muddy runoff episode, you would find that the reef ecosystem around KeikiWaha and The Grotto, all the way south to Keawekaheka Point, is more healthy than ever. A generous dusting of organics and minerals goes a long way toward boosting photosynthesis. It's these kinds of scientific facts, as verified through observation, that drive propagandists crazy.
                        FutureNewsNetwork.com
                        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Working in telecom for a healthcare organization for a number of years, I learned a few things about phones (landlines v. cellular): landlines will usually be operational where cellular phones might not work all the time. This is the main reason why I would never go exclusively with Vonage or any of the carriers that offer VOIP.

If you need to make calls and your phones aren't working, go try find a payphone . These would be an equivalent to power failure phones that hospitals and large businesses install even if they have backup generators.

Also, as part of your "disaster recovery kit", besides keeping a few dollar bills handy (for when the power goes out and you can't access your ATM or use credit cards), buy one of those prepaid phone cards (like from MCI/Worldcom that you can get at Costco). These will not expire and when you call their toll free number, it will be routed to the Mainland, so your chances of being able to call someone in the outside world are greatly enhanced, even if all Hawai'i circuits are busy. Same thing with TracFone. That 800# is on the Mainland. 800# calls get routed over different circuits than the direct dial calls.

Miulang
                          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

We just got power back this morning around 8am. Only thing I really missed was having fans on at night. Outside of that, I could have gone a few more days without power.

The quake woke my husband and I up and the Californian in me was like "whatever, it's an earthquake. I give it a 4." And then, as I layed my head back on the pillow, the thoughts of "tsunami" and "North Korea" bounced in and I bounced outta bed and turned the tv on. Course, it turned off a few minutes later. So, I went back to bed, too. I figured if I could feel the earthquake, it was near land somewhere, so I'd be ok. (plus I was tired hehe)

When we woke up, we got in the car and drove around a little while charging up our cell phones. We were entertained by KSSK all day. The Huli Huli chicken thing was funny. Good stuff tho.

Around 7:30pm, we went for a walk to the beach and it was interesting to see Waikiki totally dark except for some random signs.

I was rather surprised at how many people had no real preparations for things like this. Earthquakes may not be common, but c'mon - how do folks not have a flashlight?

We heard the Hawaii Telecom commercial a few days ago about how the power can go out and if you have a digital phone, it won't work. And my husband snapped back, "they also fail to tell you that you need an older phone in order for it to work when the power goes out."

Comment

i hope all is safe , i just heard ,is the power back on for you , i was shocked to hear
                              *Lorna* I'M BACK MISSING HAWAII
                              http://www.myspace.com/lorna_uk

Comment

I'm amazed that it seems like most of the people on the Big Island had power and cable for most of the day... when they were so much closer to the epicenter of the Earthquake!
                                http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showpos...&postcount=265

I was getting updates from people on the Big Island who were watching what was going on in Honolulu.

Comment

Working...
                                X