The Ignore Feature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Ignore Feature

Happy to be in the same category as LL and Tutu!

Wow, If only there was an ignore button in real life!!

I'd start my list by "ignore buttoning" that jerk in my night class that shouts out the answers before the teacher finishes the questions. See, TK, the ignore button could be used to fight ignorance by helping me learn!
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

I had someone on ignore for a little while, but then I'd miss out on what other people were saying with them. So I took them off ignore. I may be in the minority here, but if I put someone on ignore, then I miss the opportunity to read a train wreck of a thread on ocasion.
      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

I've never considered using ignore - if I want to ignore, I either don't visit or don't respond. The only poster from whom I have yet to glean anything of value, sansei, may some day post something I find of crucial importance (I'm still hopeful). So, although I often don't respond to threads/posts, I'm still readin' 'em (threads that appear interesting, at least).

LL (below), no, I've previously read that one.
        Last edited by salmoned; September 11, 2008, 01:55 PM.
        May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
          The only poster from whom I have yet to glean anything of value, sansei, may some day post something I find of crucial importance (I'm still hopeful).
          Perhaps this thread may provide you with something insightful, though not necessarily "crucial."

Comment

Good reminder, Leo. I think the varied points of view make HT what it is. Someone looking for angry, argumentative posting can go to thousands of other websites to find their fix.

I don't use the ignore feature, either. Tried it once; not useful. Lack of response and/or not reading the thread work better for me.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
              Ever use it? Ever take somebody off ignore to read what they wrote? Can you see a new thread started by somebody you have on ignore? Are you scared, or insulted, or shocked, or offended? Does your ignorance override your curiosity? Don't worry, intelligence is optional.

I think anybody using the ignore feature is a nitwit in the first place.
              Okay, when you call your possible respondents and bretheren on this forum "nitwits", you are not exactly fostering a lively or interesting thread.

But, I'll bite - here are some answers to the above questions.

-Yes.
              -No.
              -No.
              -Seriously? That question doesn't even have a subject! To assume that the subject is "people on your ignore list" - of all the things that I could be scared, shocked, offended or insulted by - other peoples' points of view, thoughts, or feelings don't even make that list.
              -As for that last question, I won't even bother.

Have a beautiful afternoon!
              ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Huh. Well, I haven't put anyone on ignore yet but I do wanna be in the same group as tutusue. Can I just sit with your group tutusue or should I start looking for someone to put on ignore first?

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
                  Huh. Well, I haven't put anyone on ignore yet but I do wanna be in the same group as tutusue. Can I just sit with your group tutusue or should I start looking for someone to put on ignore first?
                  If you feel...or timkona feels...that you're a mentally incompetent nitwit, Adri, then, by all means, join our group; in spite of the ignore button. It'll be an honor to have you as a member. What should we name our illustrious group?

Comment

OH, oh!! Is this like the Ice Cream Group?

Comment

For me to ignore someone, they'd have to spam advertisements, or act in an extremely offensive manner, i.e. things that would be banworthy on any forum. I would never ignore someone just because I don't agree with their viewpoint or if they were just mildly annoying.

Comment

never have used it and never knew it existed. somehow, it sounds like the staples commericial where they use the "easy" button. then there's that commercial where the young girl wants to buy a pair of $219 jeans and is told the price. the mom whips out the "easy" button and is told that it doesn't work there.
                        "chaos reigns within.
                        reflect, repent and reboot.
                        order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                          What should we name our illustrious group?
                          Why..the HT Ignorami, of course!

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                            The problem is not using or using the ignore feature. The problem is announcing to the rest of the world (in a thread) that you are putting so and so on ignore. That doesn't serve any useful purpose.
                            I think it serves the purpose of letting them know that you're no longer responding to whatever game it is that they're playing.

And when a troll is deprived of their audience then it makes it really hard for them to troll.

Some vBulletin discussion boards program their "Ignore Poster" feature to keep a running tally of who's on the top ten of the user's "Ignore Poster" lists. That's a fairly reliable indicator of who's getting infractions or even banned. There may be controversy over the utility of making such a top-ten list public, but I think it's just as useful as getting "thanks" or "karma points" or other recognition.
                            Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                            Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                            We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                            Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post
                              when a troll is deprived of their audience then it makes it really hard for them to troll.
                              I would think that would be a prime reason not to let them know you are ignoring them. Because if you do, you are feeding the troll’s most basic instinct: a desire for attention, a desire to be recognized — whether in a complimentary or disparaging way. And most of all, instilling a sense of confidence in the “troll” that he or she has “gotten your goat” and can move on to the next unsuspecting victim.

Oh yeah, I forgot. You’re ignoring me. Well, it’s still something valuable to consider.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                              USA TODAY, page 2A
                              11 March 1993

Comment

Be careful about who you "ignore." You don't want Glen Close to cook rabbit stew on your stove.

Comment

Working...
                                X