recycling phone books?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recycling phone books?

Just want some advice on where in Honolulu is best to recycle phonebooks...I know that some groups seem to have phonebook collecting drives, and I'd like to contribute mine to the pile! Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by AbsolutChaos; March 4, 2005, 04:50 PM. Reason: grammatical errors

Re: recycling phone books?

Revisiting an old but still relevant topic (and one of my older posts!)...

Here's a link to recycling those old phone books this year:
    http://www.htyellowpages.com/

Comment

I have a trunk full of phone books and I thought I'd get a school recycling program going, but I am not going to drive them out to Campbell Industrial Park for Island Recycling to weigh them and credit my school. Talk about a waste of gas and time.

I'm thinking of putting them up on Freecycle before loading my trash can.
      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Or you could fold EVERY page and turning it into Christmas Tree decorations.
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
          Or you could fold EVERY page and turning it into Christmas Tree decorations.

Or I could tear them in half and impress the kids. naaaaah.
          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
            Or I could tear them in half and impress the kids. naaaaah.
            LOL!! That would impress me.

We just throw our old phone books into the curbside recycle bin.

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
              I have a trunk full of phone books and I thought I'd get a school recycling program going, but I am not going to drive them out to Campbell Industrial Park for Island Recycling to weigh them and credit my school. Talk about a waste of gas and time.

I'm thinking of putting them up on Freecycle before loading my trash can.
              I hear ya! I was happy to find there was some effort to recycle phone books here on the island, and I was hoping that my info. might benefit someone who lived closer to the area (which isn't me either). Right now my old phone books continue to sit in my living room, getting in my way. I don't have access to any curbside recycling bins, though my bldg does provide a place to recycle regular paper, glass, and aluminum, which is nice.

Perhaps there'll be alternative sites for recycling phone books mentioned at the upcoming Recycling Fair at Blaisdell this weekend (Nov. 4-6)...it's going on 1pm to 5pm Fri, 9am to 5pm Sat, 10am to 3pm Sun, and is free. This fair is claming to be a vast resource of knowledge for recycling.

If anybody happens to attend this fair and learns of a location in Honolulu where phone books can be recycled, would you please let me know?

Thanks in advance!
              Last edited by AbsolutChaos; November 2, 2005, 05:30 AM.

Comment

I keep my previous year's phone book because sometimes people will convert their "listed" number into an "unlisted" one and having an old phone book handy is a good way to "stay connected".
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                  I keep my previous year's phone book because sometimes people will convert their "listed" number into an "unlisted" one and having an old phone book handy is a good way to "stay connected".
                  If they don't have email, they're dead to me.

Comment

Noticed yesterday that at the Dole Cannery Building there is a sign saying you can add your old phone books to the big ol' stack that's already there so that recyclers of phone books can pick them up at their leisure...

The stack is on the first floor near the entrance that is across from the movie theatre bldg.

Comment

Revisiting this thread because once again I've gotten new Paradise Yellow Pages and was hoping some new info had come to light about where to recycle the old ones here in Honolulu. Anybody conducting a phone book recycling drive?

Comment

My condo building asks residents to leave phone books on the floor of each floor's trash room. Employees then pick them up for recycling. I hope some organization benefits from these books but must admit I've never asked. I really appreciate how convenient building management has made it.

Comment

I used to go around to all my neighbors and collect their old phone books. They make great litter/bedding for the rat cages. Which makes me wonder if animal shelters might be able to put them to use?
                          Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
                          Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

hi this is sansei and in response to absoultchaos.my second sister since she work's at a school that she used to take them and have them give it to someone to recycle only the school she work's at doesnt take it so we put it into our trash can and let our rubbish men take them and to update everyone here when the new phone book's for oahu will come out,it will come out about the second week of december about the 8th and they'll continue to distribute the new oahu phone book's until everyone here get's one.

also for Maui and the big island,both will come out about the start of next year so i thought to share this with everyone.

well thank's for your time

Comment

use it as a door stop. darn things are so heavy.

make one of those christmas book trees out of them?

no? well, actually we take them down to the mixed recycle bin at the school parking lot.
                              "chaos reigns within.
                              reflect, repent and reboot.
                              order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Working...
                              X