Julie & Julia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Julie & Julia

Helen and I saw it at Ward today. A totally delightful film and highly recommended.

Re: Julie & Julia

I have no idea if this movie was billed as a comedy or not, but there were a few scenes that was pretty funny.

Comment

I really want to see this film, just to see Meryl Streep as Julia Child. From the reviews I've read, she's as wonderful as I'd imagined. A pity they set the movie up as a back-and-forth merging of two characters' stories, since apparently the Julie half of the equation is horribly uninteresting.

Comment

Can't wait to see it this week (my friends are voting on whether we see this or 500 Days of Summer Tuesday evening). I don't know; I think the Julie half of the story looks more interesting than the Julia half, and the Julia half looks great to me.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Hm. Richard Roeper agrees with pz.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Nora Ephron says she realized that the Julie parts come off weaker, though she felt the presentations were truthful. She felt most people think of Julia Child as a caricature. But apparently, the Childs had a deeply romantic and intensely sexual marriage - and by having the contemporary storyline about a couple that has trouble finding time for each other (and who eventually parted company IRL), it put the Childs's relationship in an unexpected light. She credits Producer Amy Robinson with the two-storyline conceit.

Source
            Last edited by Leo Lakio; August 10, 2009, 01:19 PM. Reason: added source

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
              A pity they set the movie up as a back-and-forth merging of two characters' stories, since apparently the Julie half of the equation is horribly uninteresting.
              I didn't think that the Julie's half of the movie was terrible, even though there some issues on her blog. What it did show is that after all these years that passed after Julia's initial writing of her cookbook that her target audience still exist in some form.

The movie switches between late 1940's Paris and 2002 New York City a few times. Sometimes there are themes that link these switches (butter comes to mind as one example).

But since the movie is named Julie & Julia, you need to show Julie's life as well. Otherwise name the movie Julia and show the parts of her life before she got married.
              Last edited by helen; August 10, 2009, 01:42 PM. Reason: added more stuff

Comment

Thanks for the Nora Ephron interview link, Leo. It helps to know the disparity between the Julie and Julia storylines (and their respective worlds and relationships) is intentional. I've also read that the character of Julia was supposed to be noticeably harder or more biting than Amy Adams portrayed. I think she's typecast, and generally plays, "cute," and it'll be interesting to see this movie imagining the modern storyline being even more set apart than it is.

Comment

I saw Julie and Julia this past weekend, and liked it very, very much. Meryl Streep’s performance was absolutely phenomenal. As for the controversy between the Julie and Julia halves, that’s a lively topic of discussion.

Personally, I did not feel that the Julie half of the film was bad. In fact, I thought it was pretty good, but placed side by side to the Julia story, I admit it did pale in comparison. (How could it not be? Julia Child was bigger than life.) But this side by side comparison was intentional. There were signs throughout the film that indictated this was so. I thought this approach was necessary. However, that surely must have been a dilemma for the filmakers.

What is not debatable is Meryl Streep’s performance. For that reason alone, I highly recommend it.

Comment

"What is not debatable is Meryl Streep’s performance."

Ain't it the truth! Meryl already has the record for the most Oscar nominations received by any actress, but I won't be at all surprised if this gets her yet another one.

Comment

Here's a good article from the LAT

http://www.latimes.com/features/food...105,full.story

Comment

In case anyone is interested in reading the original blog that Julie Powell wrote that inspired this movie, it's here in The Julie/Julia Project.

Warning: I didn't read all of it but Ms. Powell some times uses the f-word in her postings.

Comment

This IS a fun flik . . . definitely see it. Streep is incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                            What is not debatable is Meryl Streep’s performance. For that reason alone, I highly recommend it.
                            Did she use the voice Dan Ackroyd did on a SNL skit?

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                              Did she use the voice Dan Ackroyd did on a SNL skit?
                              Actually, there was a scene in which Julie is watching the SNL Dan Ackroyd skit on television (one of my favorite SNL skits, BTW). That scene seemed to emphasize that the Julia Child persona is open to imitation and caricature. Julia Chils was so unique, so familiar to everyone. But what Streep did in the movie went way beyond mere imitating.

Comment

Working...
                              X