Video Hosting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video Hosting

Anyone try google video, youtube, and the myspace video upload? Any comparisons?

I use google video which is ok. I do notice that youtube is getting more popular. I don't know if I want to keep trying different services.

pros and cons would be great.
    just started: mililaniblog.com

Re: video hosting ...

YouTube.com seems to be the hot Internet property of the season. All kinds of stuff there, some fantastic original work and a lot of copyright infringement. I'd be curious how it all shakes out in the next few months... the demand is there, but is the revenue?

I've uploaded video to YouTube.com, Blip.TV, Google Video (here's a past thread on Google Video with my thoughts), the Internet Archive, even cell phone video to TextAmerica.com, all just to see what free hosting options are out there and how they work, to supplement or backup the videos I host on my own domain. And yeah, some social networks host video (like Multiply.com -- I never tried the MySpace interface). In terms of maturity and UI, YouTube seems to be the most usable.

As mentioned in the Google Video thread, the trade-off for hosts like YouTube and Google Video is that they compress/re-encode your video into a low-bandwidth version optimized for playing via Flash. It starts to play almost immediately, which is good, but it's not pretty.

Internet Archive and Blip.TV so far let me upload a QuickTime or other media file as is, and serve/link to it as is. But the interactive pieces of those services (i.e. presentation, favorites, 'friends,' comments) are basically nonexistant. I use them to host the media file, but present them through my own website.

Comment

And now there is video egg ... http://www.siliconbeat.com/entries/2...ublishers.html

Comment

And now there is Jumpcut.

Their twist? It's not just for creating and sharing videos. The interface will allow for editing and "remixing," which is, of course, all the rage with the young whippersnappers these days.

Comment

Interesting that someone would let you remix their video. I don't think I'll be putting stuff up there.

Peter Gabriel used to let you do this to his videos if you bought his software+videos. I think Depeche Mode puts fans versions of remixes (audio) on their web site.

I was reading that youtube.com just got funded $8M this past week.

Comment

they probably need that 8mil I can only imagine their server costs with all that bandwidth. plus they would need a ton of cpu's to handle the load
            808blogs.com- Start your own blog now, for free!
            kazaru.808blogs.com - my blog!
            http://kazaru.com - personal site DOWN ATM

Comment

A link to reviews of video hosting sites on Slashdot.
              http://slashdot.org/articles/06/04/09/0214227.shtml

Comment

That's a nice write up. A couple of names I hadn't come across. I've seen and played with Jumpcut (linked above), Google Video (of course), Ourmedia, Vimeo, and YouTube, but not EyeSpot, Grouper, Revver, or vSocial. Man, online video is the hype-tastic buzz-darling of the year, isn't it?

Ah well. If it gets people "making media," I'm all for it. But, just like the web in the late 90s, an exponential increase in quantity will make it a little harder to ferret out quality. But for some of us, obviously, that's not the point anyway.

Here's another overview of such sites, with some features listed and screenshots posted, along with an interview:
                Eyespot, Jumpcut and soon Motionbox (still inaccessible but already reviewed by the ever excellent TechCrunch), are the three most interesting examples of the new online video revolution taking place right in front my eyes. But they are not alone: The-N, VideoEgg, Grouper, VMix and many other ones, are all just about to introduce new features that will allow greater abilities to edit, remix, dub and post-produce any digital video footage.

Comment

OK. I've got my video of jumping shrimp, etc., and what this newbie wants to know is do you guys compress it for embedding in on-line newsletters? I was wondering what other people do. I'm getting ready to launch something like that.
                  Have a cool Monday Monday.
                  Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

There are all kinds of software packages on the PC and on the Mac to take your video from its original form -- a DV tape, a Quicktime movie or Windows Media movie from a digital camera -- and compress it and convert it for online distribution. Adobe Photoshop Elements is popular, since it's cheap and available for both Windows and Mac users. I work in Quicktime Pro, also a PC and Mac utility (but more "utility" than "editing package").

The bad news is, video formats are complicated beasts -- video codecs, audio formats, file formats (MOV, WMA, WMV, RealVideo, FLV, AVI, etc.) color profiles, frame rates, yada yada yada -- and finding something that's viewable by everyone is sometimes a hair-pulling exercise in frustration.

The good news is, a lot of these sites we're posting here try to make it sinfully easy to get video online. In most cases, they won't care what format file you send them... and what comes out is Flash video, which is widely compatible on most non-ancient systems. Flash video isn't sharp, but it starts streaming quickly (no waiting for something to download). So you could upload your shrimp video to YouTube, then use the handy-dandy HTML it generates automatically to post it on your web page.

Of course, you'll be sending people to YouTube to see it and relying on them to not go out of business, but in terms of time saved? It might be a good option.

Comment

Thanks, Ryan. Plenty of food for thought. Some of my readers still have old machines and I could crash them up!
                      I have Adobe Creative Suite and have learned about putting a mini clip in a newsletter, but I wanted to hear about what people were putting up, how big, that sort of thing. It's a cool thing to learn. I just wish I had more time to spend on it!
                      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

I've used both google video and youtube. IMO, youtube kicks google's a** because youtube is more community focused. It connects people. You can comment on videos, see people's profiles, see their videos, see their fave videos, etc etc...

Also, submitting to google video, it took about 1.5 to 2 days before the video was up. For youtube, it was up in a matter of hours, and I was able to share it with my friends immediately. I think that's because youtube has less filtering processes before it's approved, relying on the "community" of people to notice when something is innappropritae, and then take it down or assign it as "adult content".

Comment

I forgot to mention, one advantage google video has is there is no size limit. YouTube has a limit of 100MB. That's fine though for most stuff. I did have a very long video once that I had to compress so much to get it under 100MB limit that in the end, I just removed it from youtube cause it was so mangled up.

Comment

There's a great overview of several video hosting sites at DV Guru:

Ten video sharing services compared

For various applications, Vimeo, Videoegg, YouTube, and Jumpcut get the thumbs up. There are some omissions, though, like Blip.TV. Several of the comments link to other sites' side-by-side comparisons.

Comment

It's amazing in the past 3 years with the advent of broadband reaching more homes and bandwidth growing how video on the web is exploding.
                              If I was to use a sign up free service my choice as of late would be Blip.tv mainly it's easy to use.

I am not sure if many people read "terms of service" for You Tube? I personally didn't agree with it. The other down side for me is the Flash format. I like flash for moderate web design after that I give it a thumbs down, poor video quality, poor audio, and you can't download it to watch later The upside to You Tube is the sharing and the comments...although this can be down through a videoblog with RSS and a free service like Blip.
                              Google's service I have avoided as it wasn't Mac friendly so I am not familar with it other than that.

Originally posted by lavagal
                              OK. I've got my video of jumping shrimp, etc., and what this newbie wants to know is do you guys compress it for embedding in on-line newsletters? I was wondering what other people do. I'm getting ready to launch something like that.
                              Have a cool Monday Monday.
                              This is a neat idea. How do you deliver your newsletter?

Comment

Working...
                              X