The general purpose sci-fi movie thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The general purpose sci-fi movie thread

Granted the quote below came from another thread but it felt that another thread should be created here.

Originally posted by shaveice View Post
    poiboy, any particular scifi movie (not so mainstream) that you liked a lot and maybe one i missed and would like?
    So are you interested in space operas? Time travel? Alternate realities? Robots? Monsters? Superheroes? Mad Scientists?
    Last edited by helen; January 15, 2008, 10:09 AM.

Re: The general purpose sci-fi movie thread

If you haven't seen Ethan Hawke and Uma Thurman in Gattaca, check it out. I really, really, really like it, and I plan to show it to my senior English class. In addition to some really good performances, there's a lot to discuss here about science and moral dilemma. Also, this film is rich with visual symbolism, like in a scene where one character, who cannot walk, is pulling himself up a spiral staircase that looks like a double helix. Good stuff.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
      So are you interested in space operas? Time travel? Alternate realities? Robots? Monsters?
      Not any more. I finally wised up and divorced her.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

SciFi isn't true escapism.

I rather face toward reality than toward infancy. I better survive.

Nature will continue to pursue geeks, nerds, and all those who betray Nature. She will cause untold hours of loneliness and bitterness until you comply. She doesn't negotiate with scientologist terrorists.

Comment

My favorite line from Gattaca:
          "I never saved anything for the swim back."
          Those few words really said everything about his spirit, about his ambition. Brilliant, inspiring line.

Sorry--not sure why the spoiler isn't showing up.
          Last edited by admin; January 15, 2008, 01:54 PM. Reason: Fixed by removing quote. Spoiler tags can't follow quote tags.
          * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
          - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Originally posted by U'ilani
            Brilliant, inspiring line. Simple statement that explained everything about him, and showed the limitations of genetic determinism.
            my favorite scene too.

Comment

poiboy, any particular scifi movie (not so mainstream) that you liked a lot and maybe one i missed and would like?
              hmmmm i dunno about "not so mainstream".

some of my favorite scifi movies

Gattaca
              Contact
              Sphere
              Cube(scifi/horror-low budget indie)
              Donny Darko
              Dark City
              V for Vendetta
              Children of men

an independent scifi film that ive been wanting to see is Primer
              Last edited by PoiBoy; January 15, 2008, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by U'ilani
                Sorry--not sure why the spoiler isn't showing up.
                Bottom line spoilers and quotes don't work. Check out this thread for details.

The strange part of Gattaca to me was everyone running around in business suits, even to the point of entering their space ship. Oddly enough I don't remember anyone in that movie returning from a space flight.

Comment

thanks for the suggestions; yup, i've seen gattaca and altho i liked it, my good friend is a geneticist and we both rolled our eyes over the whole idea of the character keeping even a single cell from falling to betray his true identity! i know: suspended disbelief but some things are so outrageous that it jars you out of that voluntary period of disbelief!

poiboy, of the movies you listed, i liked children of men the best. i really liked michael caines character...
                  525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Primer is a brilliant movie, but I would not recommend it for everybody.

I can only describe it as dry science fiction. Dry in the way a good martini is dry. The casual dabbler will hate it and would prefer something simpler and lighter. A connoisseur, however, will appreciate its depth and complexity. Primer has no action scenes and no special effects to speak of. Much of the story is told through narration, nothing is dumbed down for the audience, and the plot is mind-bendingly difficult to follow.

If you don't already know, the story is about time travel. By the end of the movie, the timelines become so convoluted, that you may need this timeline chart to sort it all out.

Comment

I thought Sunshine was pretty good as was Serenity.
                      just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

Originally posted by jkpescador View Post
                        I thought Sunshine was pretty good as was Serenity.
                        Oh yeah, i forgot about those two movies. I really liked them both. Both were more down to Earth types because they dealt into the characters instead of focusing on silly concepts like "proton torpedoes" and "prime directives" More human if you asked me and didn't bother explaining the science. I rather have the props appear and not have to wonder about them. Kind of like fantasy, you get your characters and plays with them.

Just Star Wars and Star Trek and all those other sci-Fi mental fanatic cults make me frustrated. Sometimes i just want to choke them out when they preach to me about their "classic greatness". I'm no George Lucas but i would be filthy rich if i went back in time with all the hi-tech stuff we have now.

Now i am going to log out and go play with my Lego. Today i am going to replicate Guantanamo Bay. No one try and stop me. Don't you dare!

Comment

On the more obscure side is Equilibrium directed by Kurt Wimmer. Action, overthrow of repressive government and Christian Bale - what's not to like?

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
                            On the more obscure side is Equilibrium directed by Kurt Wimmer. Action, overthrow of repressive government and Christian Bale - what's not to like?
                            obscure? i thought it was pretty mainstream but that doesn't matter. i liked it too.
                            525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

I have a VHS of 'Gattaca' and have watched it more than twice. Very low-key sci-fi. I would recommend 'Existenz' as a good sleeper sci-fi show. It seems to get the sexual undercurrent just right, as well as addressing a topical issue.
                              May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Working...
                              X