The deceitfulness of FOX News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The deceitfulness of FOX News

Fixed News reported a completely false story about absentee ballots in Chicago. They have been caught over and over again deliberately falsifying the news, whether reporting a miscreant Republican legislator as a Democrat or using footage of a different rally to support the attendance at a conservative rally. People deserve the news they choose to watch.
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Re: The deceitfulness of FOX News

Originally posted by matapule View Post
    Fixed News reported a completely false story about absentee ballots in Chicago. They have been caught over and over again deliberately falsifying the news, whether reporting a miscreant Republican legislator as a Democrat or using footage of a different rally to support the attendance at a conservative rally. People deserve the news they choose to watch.
    What we don't deserve is the ill effects a lying media source creates. We see that effect now as a really really angry partisan portion of America devoid of facts wants all incumbents who've even looked at a Dem out and replaced by people that have to deny being witches and don't have even basic political knowlege. Fortunately, this November won't be one to remember for them, as they once were so sure of.
    Last edited by Ron Whitfield; October 29, 2010, 03:24 PM.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

I have a Facebook friend, actually a high school classmate I used to be in lust with , who is a teacrapper and fixated on Fox News. His rants became so vile and incessant that I finally had to hide him! Other FB classmates have done the same thing. I've also received over 300 emails from him with the same crap. And this after I explained, early on, that I respectfully disagreed with him and honored the fact that he was entitled to his opinion. And, I expected the same from him. He didn't care and kept the crap coming insinuating I was an uncaring mother and grandmother for having voted for Obama! He's now filtered to the trash...after I had my less than respectful and well deserved say in email! What an embarrassing segment of society those teacrappers are.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        What an embarrassing segment of society those teacrappers are.
        Tutu, I don't want to get too far off topic here, but I have a similar experience.

My uncle was like an older brother to me when I was very young. He married a woman who I adored. They are both in their mid 70's now and avid Baggers. They are on the organizing committee in their community. They are big fans of Beck and BOR and Limbarf and the only "news" they watch is Faux News. About 2 years ago I started getting spam email from them about the TeaBag movement. I asked them if they were in favor of government handouts and they said absolutely not. I asked them if they were going to give up their SocSec and Medicare. They said absolutely not, they couldn't survive without those programs. I told them I had trouble understanding those contradictory positions. I started to counter their emails with an alternative view. They said they weren't interested in my opinion and to not email them again. We are estranged at this time and I am heartbroken. Some of their children (my cousins) have told me they think their parents have lost their mind. The last time I saw them was last March at my father's funeral. They wouldn't speak to me.

It's a dam shame!

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Re: The deceitfulness of ALL News

Discounting both biases of Fox and Huffington (who can be considered the Fox News of the left), the official justice.gov website has the list of each state's law regarding felons and voting practices.

Unfortunately, all 50 states have some difference to them.

The state in question (Illinois) makes it quite clear on their State Voter Registration form R-19:
          FOR ILLINOIS RESIDENTS ONLY
          TO VOTE YOU MUST:
          Be a United States citizen

Be at least 18 years old

Live in your election precinct at least 30 days

Not be convicted and in jail

Not claim the right to vote anywhere else

According to the Illinois voter information pamphlets, there is no distinction between misdemeanor or felony, merely the fact you have been convicted and currently serving jail/prison time. So if that's the case, you don't get to vote.

However, also found in their voter instruction:

"Voters who are confined or detained in a jail or prison pending a trial are not disqualified from voting. Such confinement or detention is a specified reason for absentee voting."

At this point, at least the state will consider the "innocent until proven guilty" notion, which I consider to be a good thing. Conversely, I hold punishments of felons to a higher standard than those convicted of misdemeanors. A lot of misdemeanors, while still crimes, can be very petty in nature. My personal belief is a felon should NOT vote, while one convicted of a misdemeanor (and it pains me knowing I have to lump the pettiest of crimes in with something heinous like a DUI) should still retain voting privileges.

Other tidbits:
          In CA, you can't vote if you are a convicted felon, or are on parole as a convicted felon. But once your parole is up and/or are on probation, you can. In this case, the voter verbage actually distinguishes between a misdemeanor inmate, and grants that inmate voting privileges.

Hawaii (831-2) is similar with respect to their thoughts on felons. They also distinguish between "awaiting trial" and even if the case was dismissed.

Where Fox News' perception error came into play is making an apples to oranges comparison between the amount of delay (and unfortunately a lot of states were slow on this) towards overseas absentee balloting, and the perceived view of some official going to a jail to drop off ballots. We can't discount the fact that denying overseas military members an absentee ballot and a vote is a travesty, but frankly that's a separate issue. Unfortunately, Huffington only defends Cook County, and sheepishly defends the handful of others, playing off that being 2 weeks late is still "acceptable" (which in priniciple is not). If HP wanted to be a little more respectable in their article, they should have broadened a horizon and shown how absentee balloting is faulted, and how the incarcerated voting system works, and less time poking at a rival news station like a bratty sibling.

Comment

Originally posted by bjd392 View Post
            Unfortunately, Huffington only defends Cook County, and sheepishly defends the handful of others, playing off that being 2 weeks late is still "acceptable" (which in priniciple is not).

BJD, did you even read the HuffPost article?

"It is true, as he (Doocy of Fixed News) says leading off the segment, that 35 counties were, to some degree, late in send (sic) out absentee ballots to military personnel.
            Cook County was not one of them. In fact, according to a press release from the Chicago Board of Election Commissioners, Cook County overseas ballots were sent out by September 3, more than two weeks ahead of the federal deadline."

I don't know how you jump to the conclusion that reporting the truth is somehow defending someone.

If HP wanted to be a little more respectable in their article, they should have broadened a horizon and shown how absentee balloting is faulted, and how the incarcerated voting system works, and less time poking at a rival news station like a bratty sibling.
            BJD, your post is the classic example of, "if you don't like the message, then attack the messenger." That doesn't change the fact that Faux News lied and manipulated the story as being "fair and balanced." Why didn't Faux News broaden their horizon and show how the incarcerated voting system works and less time manufacturing "news?"

People deserve the "news" they watch.

Comment

Re: The deceitfulness of ANY News

Originally posted by matapule View Post

BJD, did you even read the HuffPost article?
              Did you read your own article? Refer to the paragraph after the one you quoted. HP focuses on Cook County, which did nothing wrong. However, it also mentions another county (St. Clair) who indeed busted a deadline. The impression of this makes it looks as though it's ok... it's only a federal mandate.

Secondly, after reading BOTH articles, they both have their own skewed versions of truths and lies. Nowhere did I defend Fox News' article. It was atrocious to bring some schmuck from Washington to comment on what Chicago is doing. But as far as one jumping to conclusions, it only appears you read the last 2 sentences of my post, and not any of the information the reiterates Quinn Hillyer being a complete moron. But we all seem to be in a business of attacking messengers around here.

Comment

Re: The deceitfulness of ANY News

Originally posted by bjd392 View Post
                Did you read your own article? Refer to the paragraph after the one you quoted. HP focuses on Cook County, which did nothing wrong. However, it also mentions another county (St. Clair) who indeed busted a deadline. The impression of this makes it looks as though it's ok... it's only a federal mandate.

BJD, how are we not communicating? Faux "News" report was specifically about fraud in Cook County which indeed sent their ballots out 2 weeks before the Federal deadline.

Faux "News" said nothing about St. Clair County. It was HuffPost who reported that St. Clair County was late, and nowhere in their report did they condone that. I don't know how you could get that impression, I certainly didn't. In fact Clair County election officials should be investigated. The number of military personnel who received late ballots was 10 (which is 10 too many) but not the "thousands" reported by Faux.

Secondly, after reading BOTH articles, they both have their own skewed versions of truths and lies.

You have yet to point out where HuffPost lied. In fact they clarified the news that Faux "News" skewed by pointing out that St. Clair County (not mentioned by Faux) was in fact in violation of Federal guidelines but not Cook County. It appears that Faux "News" is trying to skew all of us and that you apparently agree: "It was atrocious to bring some schmuck from Washington to comment on what Chicago is doing."

Comment

why does anyone watch Fox News? it must be for the entertainment value and comedic content. It can't possibly be for a desire to become informed.
                  "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                  – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I just want to know why Fox News is on in every Jiffy Lube in the country.
                    Burl Burlingame
                    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                    honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                      Slickness abounden.

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                        Jiffy Lube is owned by Rupert Murdoch? Roger Ailes? Rev. Moon? Glenn Beck? The Mormon Church?

Comment

Faux News is a current joke in the US of A.

But where do you get "honest unbiased news?"

Other than NPR, thaT IS - OR are they crooked, too? Enlighten me?

I don't know of ANY other unbiased news source! Why pick on FauX?????

What news source is honest and unbiased??? Answer me?!

Or are you just a bunch of fag-loving, new RESTRICTIVE-laws loving, desired to be repressed liberal commie victims?

Well, I'm a LibertariaN. i LOVE FAGS. I hate people telling me whaT i CAN OR CAN'T DO, HOWEVER.

fwiw.
                          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                          ~ ~
                          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

sorry K - I just don't buy that.
                            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                              What news source is honest and unbiased??? Answer me?!
                              Okay, here's your answer but only YOU can enlighten yourself.

Every and any news source can make an honest mistake. There is a difference between an honest mistake and manipulating the news. Faux "news" has made an effort to consistently miis-report the news as a matter of corporate policy.

Since any news source can make a mistake (as opposed to intentional bias), I read a number of news sources on line. If one makes a mistake, it will be quickly reported by another.

Well, I'm a LibertariaN. i LOVE FAGS. I hate people telling me whaT i CAN OR CAN'T DO, HOWEVER.
                              You can't use all caps. You hate Ryan because of that?

Your approach is that of Anarchy, - no rules, no order, no one in charge, total chaos, and filled with hate. I suppose that you might enjoy living in a world like that but matapule would drink a cup of hemlock if it were to come to that.

Comment

Working...
                              X