New Establishments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Establishments

Auntie, you should've shook and pounded on the door and yelled, "Let me in, gunfunnit! Do you know who I am? I'm Auntie Lynn.. da' beautiful and honorable Princess and Queen of Honolulu's Chinatown!"

'Den invite all us folks heah at HT fo' one pre-opening sample of da' grilled fish action!

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post

Uncle's @ Pier 38!

Auntie Lynn
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
      Auntie, you should've shook and pounded on the door and yelled through, "Let me in, gunfunnit! Do you know who I am? I'm Auntie Lynn.. da' beautiful and honorable Princess and Queen of Honolulu's Chinatown!"

'Den invite all us folks heah at HT fo' one pre-opening sample of da' grilled fish action!
      I did...I pounded dee door!!! PK got sked. HAHAHAHAHA

We walked around and found Nico's. We'll be going back there to try it too. I was disappointed Uncle's wasn't opened. We went to McDonald's instead.hehehe On our way home, we stopped at HCC and bought Huli Huli Chicken.

On the stove I'm making Spaghetti with Italian Sausage. I go take picture wen pau!

Auntie Lynn

btw: I'm neither a Queen, Princess and Beautiful! I'm just ME!! Auntie PuPule!!
      Last edited by 1stwahine; June 23, 2007, 05:21 PM.
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Re: Uncle’s Fish Market and Grill, opening on Wednesday, June 27th at Pier 38
        Originally posted by scrivener View Post
        That sign's been there for more than a month. I'll give it a try, but it's going to be tough to beat Nico's.
        Goes to show how often I drive west-bound past the greater downtown area.

I've never been to Nico's. Attempted once, but it was so busy, we drove off for Bob's Bar-B-Que up the street. What's recommended at Nico's?

I'm also curious how this Pier 38 area thrives during dinner and late-night hours. Seems somewhat risky if your business model mostly depends on the work-week breakfast and lunch hour rush. Especially being tucked away in industrial Kalihi -- waterfront location notwithstanding.
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
          I've never been to Nico's. Attempted once, but it was so busy, we drove off for Bob's Bar-B-Que up the street. What's recommended at Nico's?
          I eat there two or three times per week. It's all good. Get the catch of the day or the furikake ahi. I took a visitor there once, and he had the fish and chips and really liked it.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

the ahi belly and calamari salad is good at Nico's.

oh and does it really matter cuz Nico's gets their fish the same place as Uncle's. so i think its more of a different style of cooking/menu.

and the biggest difference is you have either a choice out outdoor/indoor seating as opposed to just outside seating.

just a few observations, mind you.

Comment

Sighted last night at Waikiki Beach Walk on Lewers, a new restaurant named Holokai Grill on the top floor. Big place. What's with the big screen plasma TVs in every restaurant nowadays? They all wanna' be sports bars too, or what? Otherwise nice looking place. See link for menu.

Also recently opened right next door to Holokai Grill is Ruth's Chris Steak House. Very elegant setting.

Had a nightcap at the Yard House. Pretty busy for a Sunday night.
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

As Pomai notes, there are a slew of new places to eat in town including Persian, Jamaican and a new Chinese restaurant at Westridge in Aiea. Trying to keep up with all of them, I created a new category for easy viewing. Freshly opened restaurants.

Comment

i should have known you guys on top of everything! was planning to eat at nico's but saw that uncle's was open so i had lunch there and took some pictures to let everyone know but you guys are way ahead of me.

overall, i'd say the food was good but i'm not particularly impressed. i think i'm too picky. i had the seafood pasta and poke. a little pricey: about $14 for the pasta. i didn't order one but i recall that the burger was about $8.50. i think most dishes run around $14.

there are a lot of other dishes that i didn't sample so i'll leave it up to you guys to try and test.

i did like the tv screens with scenes of stuff like tuna fishing.
                  525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

has anyone else eaten at Uncle's? wanna see what the reviews say before i eat there.

Comment

New Establishments: Roy's Waikiki

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
                      Trying to keep up with all of them, I created a new category for easy viewing. Freshly opened restaurants.
                      Thanks to your wonderful article about the Mock Dinner at Roy's Waikiki over at HawaiiDiner.com, we decided to try it.

OMG, it was OFF THE CHARTS!

Here's a few dishes...

Macadamia Nut Crusted Monchong with Main Lobster Cream Sauce

Slow Braised and Broiled Short Ribs of Beef

Complimentary Birthday Parfait

More at my blog link...
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Hey MonkeyMan!
                        re: "I wonder if any of them remember when Jack Cione brought in a bunch of pigs and was raising them on that property? Waaaay back."

I worked in radio back then and it wasn't Jack Cione, but the infamous Gary Henig. The name of the business?

As he said to me ON TAPE (a soundbite I kept for many years):

"The dirty-nasty Tiki Torch, where naked ladies used to dance right in front of your face!"

He got so much gov't/community opposition for his strip bar and developed business problems ... and put the pig(s) on the property to thumb his nose at everybody. He eventually went away.
                        I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Aiyah! My bad! But I remembered the incident!
                          Well I am just a monkey man, I'm glad you are a monkey woman too.

Comment

I have to say, I was as excited as many of you to know there was another place for lunch at Pier 38, Uncles. After seeing the video and walking by there before they opened I had high hopes and couldn't wait to eat there. Well let me say this, Nico has nothing to worry about and if anything will become even busier. First though, it is a lovely establishment in terms of decor and interior. There are flat screen TV's mounted showing fishing DVD's, Hawaiian music, they warehouse overhead ducts are murals of fish underwater. The seats are comfortable (and expensive, Smith & Hawken) - they have these at Windward Mall and I know shipping from that company is outrageous so I've been trying to think about how these places are getting them, maybe some wholesaler, anyway they're finished teak and very glossy and quite comfy.

You order your food at the counter from chalkboards posted overhead. Flashing pagers are given like Nico's to let you know to pick up your food. They print is kind of small and hard to read and is multi-colored which is pretty but not so practical. Of course they have at least 4 different fresh fish options prepared in as many ways in addition to the fish and chips style. I ADORE Nico's F&C, I love his wasabi cilantro sauce on the side and the malt vinegar, the fish (whatever type) flavor characteristics shine through his crunchy not overly thick batter. Uncle's was a mass of bland unseasoned panko smothering what should have been a delicious Opah. I'll give them credit that the little baskets they serve in are most attractive and unusual and if you love french fries your arteries will clog with joy because they give massive amounts. Served with a bland not even worthy of a bottle tartar sauce and a cocktail sauce that made myself and my companion cringe upon tasting. It's supposed to be wasabi but I'm not sure that would describe it, it was memorable in not a flattering way.

My friend ordered right behind me, a tuna fish sandwich ($9.50) and a take out order of Opah prepped with the olive oil and herbs. Almost 20 minutes after I had received my meal, 5 skinny sticks of overcrusted Opah, her sandwich was a cold tuna salad (which she expected), it was served on a large hamburger type roll that I'll grant was toasted, at some point because it was cold and probably prepped earlier. She ordered a side salad and the dressing was mediocre fat free from a bottle no doubt. The tuna salad seemed like it was mixed with cole slaw which gave it texture from the carrots and maybe more creamy than I would like due to the dressing. At that moment all I could think of was how good a tuna melt would have been. Her carry out of Opah was two huge slabs of fish that were dry and tasteless with white rice and again, that stinkin' same tartar sauce. Nico does such a great job of making so many different sauces to accompany his dishes, bravo! And as we tried on of the pieces of fish our immediate response was "this is not Opah" and it wasn't. It was overdone Mahi, we later found out that the other fish was indeed Opah but unfortunately flavorless despite the attempted preparation.

They do serve beer and wine and fountain drinks. I did not take time to look at the fresh fish and poke available for purchase adjacent to the counter ordering area although from far away it looked attractive.

The prices are almost double of Nico's, I wouldn't mind paying more if it were flavorful and worthy of the amount. My F&C were $13.65 (with tax)
                            and I was most disappointed, I saw the prep on the video and was watering at the mouth to try some. The fish dish was $14.95 and I don't think it will carry for what the outcome was. I can say I've been there and finsh with
                            Nico, you'll see me again and again and again, you've nothing to fear!

Comment

Mahalo for letting us know what you thought of Uncles. PK and I will be going there soon. I love Seafood. Especially, Fish. It's in my daily menu.

I'll be back with my report.

Auntie Lynn
                              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Wow, thanks for the great writeup, leashlaws. Of course I imagine most of us are curious enough to see for ourselves (read: learn the hard way), but it's nice to read a first-hand account!

Speaking of new establishments, here in the building where I work, "Licious Dishes" is in its first month of operation. It's not a restaurant, but one of those places where you pick up a batch of means for the week, then take them home. The twist being, the emphasis on vegan dishes. Raw, organic vegan dishes. Not everyone's taste, I imagine, but for the time-crunched health conscious (or those on newly restricted diets due to health issues), it may be a good choice!
                                Last edited by pzarquon; July 10, 2007, 04:23 PM. Reason: Fix da link!

Comment

Working...
                                X