X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 8

From The Maui News:
    Alakai returns to Kahului Harbor with no problems
    KAHULUI – The Hawaii Superferry resumed service to Kahului Harbor on Friday morning with its damaged docking barge back in service.
    Following two days of large ocean swells and heavy surge that forced Superferry to cancel operations, the Alakai made its way into Kahului as scheduled and with no problems on Friday, ferry officials said.
    State Department of Transportation spokesman Scott Ishikawa said the ferry’s damaged docking barge was put back into place after inspection on Thursday. He said the “damage was not as extensive as initially feared.”
    Ishikawa said that a damaged fender guard that was attached to the ferry’s docking barge was removed.
    The 10-square-foot fender had hit the pier during the high surf earlier this week.
    Ishikawa said there were no damages to the barge and the fender was not necessary to the barge or the ferry’s operations.
    (...)

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
      Do people realize that now the DOT has hired the services of one of the tugs now stationed in Kahului Harbor to keep the barge stable enough so cars can drive off and on the ferry? And that renting the tug costs anywhere from $1,000-2,000 an hour? (They need the tug to push the barge against the pier as long as the ferry is docked). Another added unexpected expense.
      And where is the link that shows us that a tug is needed every single day, and not just during the rare heavy north swells?
      I believe the latter is true, and that an unverified implication that a tug is needed every single day is a fraudulent and intentional misrepresentation of the facts. Again.
      I'll be more than happy to apologize if anyone can prove me wrong.

Comment

From yesterday's Maui News (http://www.mauinews.com/news/2008/1/18/01docd0118.html)

Until a permanent ferry dock is installed, the Coast Guard has approved the use of a harbor tugboat to assist during ferry operations to hold the barge snug against the pier.

Formby said he didn’t have specific costs for the Superferry service, but said it costs $1,000 to $2,000 an hour to operate the tugs, which also assist other vessels in entering and exiting the harbor.

For the Superferry docking barge, he said, the tugboat is needed only when the ferry will be docking. He said the use of the tug is essential to keep the docking barge stable while cars are on-loading and off-loading onto the barge and the pier.
        Apology accepted.
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I don't know if this tug is there everyday, but it certainly was on Dec. 13 when I took the Superferry on a one-day round trip to Maui and back. The water in the harbor was pretty flat that day but choppy outside.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

One of them was to increase funding to hire more DLNR agents
            Fine

and another was to give the DLNR and DoA agents the authority to inspect all cargo coming aboard planes, commercial boats and barges.
            Well now, how does that compare to inspection rights in other domestic travel?

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
              Fine

Well now, how does that compare to inspection rights in other domestic travel?
              They mean this to "level the playing field" so that all modes of transportation are treated equally. I seriously doubt there is anyone in Hawaii who doesn't believe that invasive species (especially) are a danger. As for the 'opihi, limu and fishing nets, that is in the province of DLNR, which is responsible for managing the natural resources, as well as the kanaka maoli's rights to things like 'opihi and limu as part of their culture.
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

They mean this to "level the playing field" so that all modes of transportation are treated equally.
                That's the part I said "fine" to.

What I'm questioning is how broad are other inspections in the US? On the surface, this one seems rather invasive. I'm wondering what personal rights are we giving up here? Is this in line with the agriculture inspections already done to/from Hawaii or is this even more?

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                  That's the part I said "fine" to.

What I'm questioning is how broad are other inspections in the US? On the surface, this one seems rather invasive. I'm wondering what personal rights are we giving up here? Is this in line with the agriculture inspections already done to/from Hawaii or is this even more?
                  Hawaii ag inspections are far more stringent than anywhere else in the US simply because it would be theoretically easier to keep invasive species out of the 'aina due to its geographic isolation (the continental US has no barriers like 3,000 miles of ocean to protect it).

However, what we learned from DoA during the Maui HSF hearings and the Legislative hearings, DoA doesn't have the right to open up sealed containers coming in from outside the US (particularly China). All the inspectors can do is check the manifests to see what is in the containers. That's how a brown spider hitchhiked from China to Kalaeloa...in a shipment of boulders from China that is being used to shore up a pier at Kalaeloa.

Even for domestic (intrastate) shipments, the DoA can't open up most containers to inspect individual items, although they can visually look through slats in the containers, etc. The only exceptions might be for ag products like Christmas trees where they do actually shake down trees in a secured inspection area prior to allowing them to be released to the buyers. But if there aren't any ag products involved, and because of the scarcity of DoA inspectors and the large numbers of containers being shipped daily (80% of all goods are shipped in from outside the State), it wouldn't be practical to inspect each and every container right now.

Comment

Hawaii ag inspections are far more stringent than anywhere else in the US simply because it would be theoretically easier to keep invasive species out of the 'aina due to its geographic isolation (the continental US has no barriers like 3,000 miles of ocean to protect it).

However, what we learned from DoA during the Maui HSF hearings and the Legislative hearings, DoA doesn't have the right to open up sealed containers coming in from outside the US (particularly China). All the inspectors can do is check the manifests to see what is in the containers. That's how a brown spider hitchhiked from China to Kalaeloa...in a shipment of boulders from China that is being used to shore up a pier at Kalaeloa.

Even for domestic (intrastate) shipments, the DoA can't open up most containers to inspect individual items, although they can visually look through slats in the containers, etc. The only exceptions might be for ag products like Christmas trees where they do actually shake down trees in a secured inspection area prior to allowing them to be released to the buyers. But if there aren't any ag products involved, and because of the scarcity of DoA inspectors and the large numbers of containers being shipped daily (80% of all goods are shipped in from outside the State), it wouldn't be practical to inspect each and every container right now.
                    Would irradiation kill these stowaways? If it would, how expensive would it be to build a container sized oven so each container runs through it? But then, I guess you need an oven sized X-ray machine to make sure you don't have any human stowaways before you zap it.

Comment

• Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 8

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                      Would irradiation kill these stowaways? If it would, how expensive would it be to build a container sized oven so each container runs through it? But then, I guess you need an oven sized X-ray machine to make sure you don't have any human stowaways before you zap it.
                      Heh. That would solve one problem with illegal immigration, wouldn't it?

Homeland Security is trying to figure out how to manage inspection of sealed containers, too, for national security reasons. Maybe there will be a way for the State and the feds to work together on a system that would accomplish both at the same time. Of course, to get the State and feds to work together on anything might be a little bit of a challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                        I think I read somewhere in one of the stories about the embargoed Christmas tree shipments from Oregon that the growers said you can't irradiate the Douglas firs because it will cause the needles to drop. So in the case of Christmas trees anyway, it sounds like the plan they came up with (inspections in Oregon prior to containerization and then inspection in Hawaii in refrigerated secured inspection areas) may be the only way to maintain the integrity of the trees. Wasps "hibernate" in cold weather, so inspecting the trees in a refrigerated cargo container will isolate them while they are sleeping and make it easier to find them and remove them safely.

Best option is to embargo Christmas trees from the Mainland, period. Either buy locally grown trees if you need a real tree (like the Norfolks from Helemano Farms) or stick to fake ones.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                          And where is the link that shows us that a tug is needed every single day, and not just during the rare heavy north swells?
                          I believe the latter is true, and that an unverified implication that a tug is needed every single day is a fraudulent and intentional misrepresentation of the facts. Again.
                          I'll be more than happy to apologize if anyone can prove me wrong.
                          From yesterday's Maui News (http://www.mauinews.com/news/2008/1/18/01docd0118.html)

Apology accepted.
                          Not so fast, Miulang. You see, you've been busted. Or as Ashton Kutcher would say, "You've been punk'd!" GOTCHA!!!
                          The apology is not for you, Miulang -- it's for the readers of this thread who weren't in on the ploy (the successful ploy) to "out" you.
                          Many of us here on HT have long been upset at the way you mislead innocent readers. The plot was hatched up by one of those upset HT members. You, Miulang, have successfully avoided admitting countless of your misrepresentations (some people call them "lies") and you've avoided answering hard questions by your claim that you had me on "Ignore." You pretended that you never saw my posts. So to out you, it was suggested that I intentionally post something wrong, with an offer of a apology. And sure enough, you fell for the bait, hook line and sinker!
                          From your home near Seattle, you continue to think those of us who live here don't read/watch the news. Well, that tugboat item was all over the news here, and you should've realized that I'd clearly know that. We put some really smelly cheese in that trap, and you bit it anyway. Far from having me on "Ignore", you answered my post almost immediately, thinking you'd put me in a corner and make me apologize to you, when in actuality you proved that you have intentionally avoided my posts showing that you'd been wrong on so many things about the SuperFerry. You didn't have me on Ignore... you had me on Avoid. Bwaaaahahahahaha!
                          Dozens and dozens of times, you've avoided answering hard questions in these SuperFerry threads, and you've posted flagrantly incorrect and misleading information. You quoted portions of articles, trying to justify your own attacks on the SuperFerry, but many (nay, most) times a few of us actually went to the links and found that the crux of the story was actually far different than the iota you'd quote.
                          You said, from your home near Seattle, that the Maui farmers were rabidly against the SuperFerry, but I provided links that showed exactly the opposite -- their entire organization supports the SuperFerry.
                          Your funniest one was when you flamed SuperFerry for not having Wifi, though I immediately proved that they had it all along... and yet you still claimed that SuperFerry had just added Wifi because of your post! Hilarious!
                          Countless other examples, and some day when I have time to kill I'll go through the threads and list all the examples of your "mistakes" and especially a list of the questions you refused to answer because you allegedly had me on Ignore, which you yourself just helped prove was yet another of your lies.
                          GOTCHA.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                            Countless other examples, and some day when I have time to kill I'll go through the threads and list all the examples of your "mistakes" and especially a list of the questions you refused to answer because you allegedly had me on Ignore, which you yourself just helped prove was yet another of your lies.
                            GOTCHA.
                            Whatevas. The point is, if you "punked me", you are just a troll. And I did have you on ignore for a very long time. Guess I'll have to put you back on. You are a vindictive SOB, aren't you?

Comment

Whatevas.
                              Ah. You plead Guilty, then. Well, you were caught in flagrante delicto, so Guilty was the only possible result. You are hereby sentenced to 100 hours of community service. In other words, step away from the computer and from wrongly attacking SuperFerry, and instead spend 100 hours volunteering somewhere that will help your Seattle community. That would be nice. And honorable.

I did have you on ignore for a very long time.
                              Really? We're supposed to believe you now? And somehow you took me off Ignore just at the very moment you thought I'd goofed for the first time and that you'd get an apology from me? It's a miracle! Heck, you avoided me again just a couple of days ago, but you just happened to take me off Ignore yesterday?!? The timing of you taking me off Ignore is indeed nothing short of a MIRACLE.
                              Oh. Wait. I'm looking out my window, and I don't see any flying pigs. None at all.

Guess I'll have to put you back on.
                              Yeah. Sure. There's not a single reader who's gonna believe THAT. Especially now.

You are a vindictive SOB, aren't you?
                              Ooh, resorting to profanity. Looks like we touched a Hot Button, all right.
                              As for me being "vindictive," well, I have this habit of calling Bullsh*t when I see it. I'm one of those who's willing to say The Emperor Has No Clothes. It pishes me off when people take advantage of, or attack, our HT friends. Ask Teeny Tadani. Ask the folks who caused the elevator problem at Canal House.
                              And now it's you. You've willfully, maliciously and repeatedly misled readers here with misinformation, irregardless of the fact that so many of us have exposed your BS. So yes, you're firmly in our sights.
                              You written almost 9,000 posts here on HT, making you by far the most verbose member. (The creator of HT has almost a third less posts, and only a couple of folks are over 5,000, with everyone else far below that.) You've averaged 7 posts each and every single day for the past 4 years.
                              Don't act surprised that you're on the radar of those of us who respect HT. You asked for it.

Comment

Karen Chun of Save Kahului Harbor actually took the time to completely read and analyze the draft EIS for Kahului Commercial Harbor Year 2030. Here is the testimony she has submitted and will testify to at the public hearing on Jan. 23.

Karen Chun's testimony: http://www.savekahuluiharbor.com/Kar...IScomments.doc

Comment

Working...
                                X