Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Olden Days

The Olden days

Got to start this. I've got one boy and 3 girls and they are doctors. Except for the baby > she is 19 an resiting exams.

On Father's day she rang me to ask me what I missed from the olden days:- !!!!!

Sherbert lemmon sweets
    Good Toffee Apples
    Uncle Joes Mint Balls
    Going to the flics for 2 shillings

Please continue and add

Barry

Comment

• Re: The Olden Days

My mother in law used to keep an old dusty rusty can of Uncle Joes Mint Balls in her kitchen. Put me off ever trying them!

What I miss is Tomoe Ame, carnival meat sticks, cinnamon bread and Portuguese sweet bread...but it's distance, not time, I think.
      Speak to the heart and the man becomes instantly virtuous. Emerson

Comment

Among the many stuff from bygone eras:

Vinyl Record Albums
        45 rpm records
        film cameras
        black & white TV
        8-track players

lower taxes
        more freedom
        Ronald Reagan
        Bigger cars
        75¢ movies
        Gas less than a dollar per gallon

No rap music

The Beatles
        Elvis Presley
        disco, yes disco

Many others. I think we had a thread like this somewhere else.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Good mainstream music ... before the 1990's grunge.

Local island-style contemporary music in the 1990's ... better than grunge.

Ultima ... before it became an MMORPG.

No pay-2-play MMORPG (e.g., Diablo).
          Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
            I think we had a thread like this somewhere else.
            we did.

olden days-just for fun

time for merger, i guess.
            superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Wild rabbits in the back yard.
              Putting pennies on the RR tracks then trying to find them.
              2nd Amendment freedoms.
              1st Amendment freedoms before elections.
              Riding my bike everywhere with no traffic worries.
              Warnings from police for traffic infringements.

Respectful neighbors. Friendly neighbors.
              Anyone could scold us kids without starting a war.

Sex, drugs and Rock and Roll!
              Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
              ~ ~
              Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
              Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
              Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Horlicks Malted Milk Tablets. Not the crappy current ones, I'm talking about the ones that used to come in the glass jar.

Comment

My first job. I LOVED it!!

It was at a 19 seat pharmacy lunch counter. I wore a funky waitress uniform
                  which looked really silly! I had to walk to the general store down the street to buy supplies and go to the little meat market for the meats we'd use. My boss was an older woman whom everyone thought lived above the pharmacy in a ratty little apartment. Truth be told she was living right across from us (diagonally) with a man! Actually a lot of people knew but it was a local myth.
                  The locals would file in the minute the door opened and god forbid anyone other than them come in to sit down. Everyone had their own stools and we knew exactly what they wanted every day. We served breakfast through dinner. It was a great experience. Cooking on the giant griddle, making real milkshakes and sundaes, the whole gamut. Tips were good too. I lied about my age to get it I wanted it so bad. Those were the good old days! It would be hard to find places like that unless you were in some really small towns now. Juggling so many orders and specifications for the eggs and things really was great learning about line cooking and making great eggs!

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                    Vinyl Record Albums
                    Amen! (Though they still exist, and seem to be increasing in current releases these days.)
                    lower taxes
                    more freedom
                    Gas less than a dollar per gallon
                    Can't argue with you on these either.

But do you really miss these?
                    8-track players

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                      Amen! (Though they still exist, and seem to be increasing in current releases these days.)
                      Can't argue with you on these either.

But do you really miss these?

This has become an interesting thread for members. If there is another one along the same lines, can they be merged ? I don't want to hi-jack.

Comment

Originally posted by zff View Post
                        Horlicks Malted Milk Tablets. Not the crappy current ones, I'm talking about the ones that used to come in the glass jar.
                        Those were the ones we used to play "Doctor." That bottle looked like a medicine container.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                          Those were the ones we used to play "Doctor." That bottle looked like a medicine container.
                          I remember those. They would get stuck in your teeth. Then there was:

Jolly Rogers and the Suzi Q. (in Kahala now where Zippy's is)
                          Pete's Modelcraft (In Kahala Mall now where Jamba Juice is)
                          404 Piikoi (used to be Records Hawaii, now Hawaiki Towers)
                          eating S&S saimin and hot roasted peanuts at the Honolulu Stadium
                          Keiki Land (at Ala Moana Shopping Center)
                          the Old Hemmingway Hall at UH Manoa
                          Lafayette Radio Electronics (In Moilili)
                          Dorsyd Sight & Sound (In Kahala Mall now where Reyn Spooner is)
                          DeVille's (in Kakaako somewhere on Keeamoku)
                          Lau Market (in Kaimuki)
                          Rexall Drugs (also in Kaimuki)
                          The old Honolulu International Airport with the glowing water fountain at it's entrance
                          The Nadatorium
                          Apple Motoring
                          Annual Bon dance (now where the Bank of Hawaii building sits at Kahala Mall)
                          and finally...
                          Moss sliding down Cherry Hill in Kahala.
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Scotty's (esp the prices), which was next to

Rainbow Rollerland

The OLD Honolulu International Airport, where the aircraft were parked 100 feet from the chainlink fence, and you could actually spot and identify the passengers as they took their seats and waved goodbye through the windows, and when the 'planes fired up and turned to head to the runway, the folks who came to see you off had to turn their backs to avoid dust/gravel kicked up by the propwash

Comment

Grace's Drive Inn when it was just a lunch wagon at UH in the 60's and 70's. Long lines, good food.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                                Annual Bon dance (now where the Bank of Hawaii building sits at Kahala Mall)
                                I remember those! Back when Kahala Mall was only the Waialae Shopping Center.

Another neighborhood high point was the Haunted House Bob Krauss used to set up in his big garage on Halloween night. You wandered through corridors of canvas hanging from the rafters, with all kind spiders and stuff jumping out at you...eventually you came to a hideous witch who served some brew out of a huge cast iron cauldron, bubbling over with dry ice smoke. Scarier than any Ghost Train I've been on since!
                                Speak to the heart and the man becomes instantly virtuous. Emerson

Comment

Working...
                                X