The Olden Days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Olden days-Just for fun

[quote=Palama Kid;221361]So many mentions of FW Woolworth’s. I remember no mo slippah, so to cool off, I walked thru the air-conditioned Fort Street Woolworth’s (at Pauahi) to get from Fort Street to that small, slanted street that is now mostly eating places / bus stop. I forget the name of that street.

Union Street...now Union Mall

Comment

Originally posted by D'Alani View Post

Union Street...now Union Mall

Das da one. Tanks.
      Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
        Ala Moana Shopping Center places long gone:
        • Woolworth - my favorite dept. store 60s to early 90s
        • J.C. Penney - quality stuff but affordable too
        • Patti's Chinese Kitchen / Lynn's Deli - same company, same plates and cups, good food
        • Keiki Land - went there back in 1964 when I was still a keiki
        • Farrell's Ice Cream
        • DJ's Sound City - was discussed in another thread
        • Jack McCoy TV Show - broadcast from Centerstage escalator, early 1960s
        • Sharper Image - recently departed into bankruptcy
        • Liberty House - expensive stuff, now Macys'
        • Honolulu Book Shops - Borders and Barnes/Noble put them out of business
        • McInerny - I think I went to the Hilo one
        • Ritz Store - they had some cheap clothes
        • Francis Camera - good to browse but expensive!!!!

Long gone from across Ala Moana Shopping Center and nearby:
        • 404 Piikoi Shops & Businesses
        • Jelly's @ 404 Piikoi - had best sidewalk sales, record LPs 7 for $1
        • Jelly's @ Keeaumoku & Kapiolani - sidewalk sales there too.
        • Jelly's @ Keeaumoku across McDonalds in that sleazy building
        • Records Hawaii - they had a good selection of oldies
        • Froggie's - they were at 404 for a little while too
        • Job Lot - lots of cheap stuff there; I still have my $5 portable stereo speakers.
        • Odyssey Records (Keeaumoku & Kapiolani)
        • Tower Records (Keeaumoku & Kapiolani)
        • Anderson's Camera
        • Pioneer Federal Savings Bank - absorbed into First Hawaiian Bank; free checking!

Up on Keeaumoku St.
        • Sam Sung Electronics - I bought stereo stuff and a Betamax there in the 1980s
        • Consumer Tire Warehouse - Go Now Hawaii! Why Pay More.
        • Honolulu Home Video - they rented VHS and Beta

I miss all of them, but they can never come back in Hawaii .

Woolworth store
        J.C. Penney
        yum yum tree
        Liberty house

And among the many (stores) who left due to high competition & high cost of rent.
        Last edited by Serenity; January 8, 2009, 07:54 AM.
        Aches & Pains
        (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

Answering the phone without some sort of screening method.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
            Answering the phone without some sort of screening method.
            To each theirr own, thats my motto.

I would prefer to be able to screen my callers, who knows, they may want to suck you in & sell you something you dont want. Or, a relative or a friend you are having a fight with, now thats a good cause
            to have phone creening on your phone.(that way you can pretend you are not in.lol.)

Better yet, having it show up on your tv. YAY!!.
            Aches & Pains
            (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

Knowing that when the phone rings it is someone you know or someone with legitimate business and not a telemarketer or worse.
              "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
              Ayn Rand

Comment

In the olden days there were no telemarketers that I was aware of. The problem started I think in the 1980s.

I was thinking about a few computer stores that have gone away:
                • Comp USA (most recent big box to close; Circuit City next)
                • Computer City
                • Computer Land
                • MicroAge
                • Software Warehouse
                • Software Plus

Any others? I can't remember....

Car brands that have gone away:
                • AMC (American Motors; formerly Rambler, Nash) *
                • Eagle
                • Plymouth
                • DeSoto
                • Geo
                • Studebaker
                • Oldsmobile
                • Datsun (name went away, became Nissan)
                • Daihatsu (gone at least in USA)
                • Yugo
                • Triumph
                • M.G.
                • DeLorean
                • Kaiser / Fraiser
                • Willys Overland
                • International Harvester (they made pickup trucks, early SUVs)
                • AM General (they made transit busses among other things)
                • Bricklin (very short lived Canadian firm)
                • Checker (noted for taxi cabs)

* was sold to Chrysler
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

[QUOTE=GeckoGeek;221174]

Hmmm, isn't NJ the same way or am I getting my places confused?

You are correct, I was recently in New Jersey and they do still have people who are hired to fill the gas for you. When I lived in Oregon I always thought it was unusual and then asked why was this necessary, the answer was the state decided they could create more jobs by making it a requirement.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by Palama Kid View Post
                    So many mentions of FW Woolworth’s. I remember no mo slippah, so to cool off, I walked thru the air-conditioned Fort Street Woolworth’s (at Pauahi) to get from Fort Street to that small, slanted street that is now mostly eating places / bus stop.
                    I might be wrong, but I'm thinking that was NOT a Woolworth's. It was a "Kress" dept store instead, maybe? Anybody know? Hmm . . . maybe it was a Woolworth's. Now, I no know.

[I was e-mailed a 50-yr old Woolworth's menu & that got me reminiscing / remembering. FYI most menu items ran around 25 cents.]

Comment

• Re: Olden days-Just for fun

Woolworth's was at corner of Fort St. Mall & Hotel St. Kress was further up the mall, at Pauahi - next to Ritz Store.
                      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                        Woolworth's was at corner of Fort St. Mall & Hotel St. Kress was further up the mall, at Pauahi - next to Ritz Store.
                        So, it was a Kress that I walked through. Tanks, Fran.

Now, didn't that Woolworth's have a pretty fair Japanese delicatessen facing Hotel Street?

And speaking of fair, anyone else remember the Fair Dept Store on the mauka-Ewa corner of Beretania and Fort Street?

Comment

I was thinking about a few computer stores that have gone away:
                          • Comp USA (most recent big box to close; Circuit City next)
                          • Computer City
                          • Computer Land
                          • MicroAge
                          • Software Warehouse
                          • Software Plus

Any others? I can't remember....
                          Memory Lane (this was in downtown)
                          Legionnaire (above Midas muffler on Dillingham)

Car brands that have gone away:
                          • AMC (American Motors; formerly Rambler, Nash) *
                          • Eagle
                          • Plymouth
                          • DeSoto
                          • Geo
                          • Studebaker
                          • Oldsmobile
                          • Datsun (name went away, became Nissan)
                          • Daihatsu (gone at least in USA)
                          • Yugo
                          • Triumph
                          • M.G.
                          • DeLorean
                          • Kaiser / Fraiser
                          • Willys Overland
                          • International Harvester (they made pickup trucks, early SUVs)
                          • AM General (they made transit busses among other things)
                          • Bricklin (very short lived Canadian firm)
                          • Checker (noted for taxi cabs)

* was sold to Chrysler
                          That barely scratches the surface. A comprehensive listing would be HUGE!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._manufacturers
                          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Some things from the past that I do miss:

Collecting Star Wars and later, Close Encounters of the Third Kind trading cards from the Love's Bread bags. Presumably, Love's Bakery discontinued this practice when kids in the stores started squeezing the loaves in order to see exactly which card was in the bag.

Spirograph - Yeah, I know they still make Spirograph sets. But the ones they manufacture now are missing a lot of the different shaped and sized gears. I guess toy companies can't be bothered to put much effort into Spirograph anymore, now that kids are so hooked on video games.

Ditto machine worksheets - Ah, remember smelling that moist purple ink when your teacher passed out the worksheets, hot off the press.

Viewmaster - Or if your parents were the type to splurge, Talking Viewmaster. Neat way for kids to see relive their favorite movie or cartoon. Of course, with DVD technology, who needs 'em today? Well, at least many of those Viewmaster slides were 3-D.
                            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

MISCELLANEOUS RAMBLINGS:

SERVICE STATIONS - I worked at one in Hilo part-time when I was in high school. It really was "service" in those days. We checked the "front" (oil, radiator, power steering, ATF, windshield washer fluid), tire pressure, cleaned the windshield, and for a 10-gallon gas purchase, vacuumed the interior AND washed the car!

CARD COLLECTING - Like baseball cards, there was a set for "Presidents." I've seen E-bay listings for these. I may bid on a complete set (it only went to Eisenhower),

A few years ago, I got my hands on a set of 90 cards for the 30th Anniversary of Spide-Man II, including the plastic box.

COMPUTER STORES - What happened to DATA-ONE? They were on South King St., ewa of McDonald's, moved further up South King to the strip mall across Old Stadium Park, then re-located to Mid-Town Plaza (Kalakaua-Young-South Beretani), and after that was demolished to make way for senior housing, somewhere in Aiea. There's a DATA-1 listed in the phone book on Halekauwila Street in town, but is it the same?

SPORTING GOODS - HonSport; AMAR, and the one at 680 Ala Moana Blvd. where Wet Okole Seat Covers is located.

CAR DEALERSHIPS - Shelley Mazda; Shelley Nissan; Love-Thomas (took over Porsche and Audi from Shelley Motors); Jim Slemons (Volvo and Acura); Castner Ford (before Cutter Ford); Kapiolani Motors (Pontiac); Hawaiian Motors (Dodge); Universal Motors (Plymouth); Airport Volkswagen; Schuman Carriage (Cadillac, Buick, Subaru, Hummer, GMC); Don Shaw Cars (car broker); Aloha Motors (Chevy); Al Takahata Subaru; Eurocars (BMW - their spokesman, Pepe, was busted for rolling back odometers or something like that); Evolution Hyundai ...... the list goes on.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                                CAR DEALERSHIPS - Shelley Mazda; Shelley Nissan; Love-Thomas (took over Porsche and Audi from Shelley Motors); Jim Slemons (Volvo and Acura); Castner Ford (before Cutter Ford); Kapiolani Motors (Pontiac); Hawaiian Motors (Dodge); Universal Motors (Plymouth); Airport Volkswagen; Schuman Carriage (Cadillac, Buick, Subaru, Hummer, GMC); Don Shaw Cars (car broker); Aloha Motors (Chevy); Al Takahata Subaru; Eurocars (BMW - their spokesman, Pepe, was busted for rolling back odometers or something like that); Evolution Hyundai ...... the list goes on.
                                Speaking of Schuman Carriage, my Grandfather (who passed away many years ago) worked for Schuman Carriage in the early 1900s. He took care of the horses! There was a reason for the “carriage” in that venerable dealership’s name.

I owned a Subaru in the early 80s and it was serviced by Schuman. I was always impressed that they treated me with the same great service they gave their Cadillac and Buick owners, even though my car was a rinky-dink model.

Comment

Working...
                                X