The Olden Days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Olden days-Just for fun

Okay, I found animal cracker! Real ones! They're not in a box with a string; they come in a bag with a zip-lock seal thing, but they have the Barnum animals on them and they taste the same!!! We found them at Long's! They're on the top shelf of the snacky aisle. Just for anyone who was wanting some.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
      Heh. Your dad was filling the car? Heck, I remember when the gas station attendants not only filled the tank, they also cleaned the windshield, checked the oil, and checked the tires air pressure... every single time. It was just normal.
      And gave away stuff too. My family had a collection of "Texaco" glasses. No logo on them, just good glasses that could hold a 12oz soda, good texture so it was easy to hold - with one smooth spot that was perfect for your thumb.

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
      Pay a visit to Oregon sometime. They won't do all the service steps, but it is illegal to pump your own gas - attendants must do it for you.
      Hmmm, isn't NJ the same way or am I getting my places confused?

Originally posted by Serenity View Post
      Do you know what I really miss?? & wish they could bring it back??

It's the McDLT:
      Hot side hot, cold side cold! Yeah, I loved it.

Originally posted by mel View Post
      As for the McDLT I was told by a McDonald's local exec, that the burger was discontinued due to poor sales. I like that burger.
      That was the one problem with it. At the time I usually went, they'd have a small pile of burgers there. So if I ordered a BigMac, they'd just pull from the stack and I'd be on my way. But if I ordered a McDLT, they'd have to make it and I'd be standing around for what seemed like 5 minutes while everyone else was getting their stuff right away. It seems like it broke the concept of "fast food". I soon learned to look in that special holder they had for the McDLT. If there wasn't one there waiting, I wouldn't order it.

I wonder how many others discovered the same thing?

Of course now it's all "made when ordered", so maybe it's time to bring it back.

One thing I miss that I wish they'd bring back: The Big Kahuna radio station (or was it The FOX? Same station, different format). They played a good mix, never repeated. It was perfect for work. The other stations would drive you crazy with their same songs all day.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
        (or was it The FOX? Same station, different format).
        That just flashed a memory of listening to The FOX nearly 20 years ago when I was painting the ceilings in our house. It seemed that their playlist was repeating practically hourly.
        Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
        Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
        We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
        Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

When 105.9 FM was the FOX and The Big Kahuna, they were under different ownership. Visionary pretty much killed off The Big Kahuna monicker and got rid of some of their local DJs.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Kuhio Grill ... on King Street a block or so DH past University ...

Buy drinks...cheap... and tip the waitress, and she'd bring you ono pupu's. The bettah da tip, da bettah da pupu.

King Tsin ... also back in the mid-70's ... AMAZING Chinese food.

Tasty Broiler ... soup, salad, fruit cocktail, drink, entree AND desert for $3.

Bob's Cheesecake on Kapahulu. Loved the guava... came with a string to cut it. (Now I grow my own guava and make my own cheesecake with it. Yum!)

Alex Drive-In's (also on Kapahulu) watermelon freeze ... so refreshing on a hot day.

Lyn's Delicatessen at AMC ... pastrami with cole slaw.

Am I stuck on food????

Ok, one gas memory: When I went to college, I'd never pay more than a quarter for a gallon. I recall 12 cents when I was 7-8.

$5 would fill it up, but we'd mostly tell the attendant to give us a "dollar's worth."

I remember back in the '70's, when it was "in" to use "da kine" as many times as possible in one sentence: "Yesterday, we wen' to da kine and ordered da kine. Was soooo ono. Melvin asked dis tourist: 'eh, brudda, can kokua and pass me da kine, li' dat,' and he looked at us like we wuz from some uddah kine planet!"

Comment

I've said this before, but I think it bears repeating in this thread: Popcorn at Sears sold at the bottom level under the escalator. The smell went throughout the store.

Comment

fried noodles from agmata store in waipahu.

crack seed from a store down the way from st. joseph's in waipahu.

patty's chinese kitchen.

a restaurant in 'ewa beach owned by a chinese family. they made the best chocolate and cherry cokes.

doing various activities with my pops: throwing a baseball, softball or football. picking puka shells and going to all his mountain ball games. watching campbell high school baseball from our back yard under the mango tree.

being a tom boy.

riding skateboards, playing the ukulele and/or guitar, trick-or-treating around the old 'ewa beach and playing flag football with my best friend in elementary school.

drive in movie theaters.

playing board games with family.
                "chaos reigns within.
                reflect, repent and reboot.
                order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Ala Moana Shopping Center places long gone:
                  • Woolworth - my favorite dept. store 60s to early 90s
                  • J.C. Penney - quality stuff but affordable too
                  • Patti's Chinese Kitchen / Lynn's Deli - same company, same plates and cups, good food
                  • Keiki Land - went there back in 1964 when I was still a keiki
                  • Farrell's Ice Cream
                  • DJ's Sound City - was discussed in another thread
                  • Jack McCoy TV Show - broadcast from Centerstage escalator, early 1960s
                  • Sharper Image - recently departed into bankruptcy
                  • Liberty House - expensive stuff, now Macys'
                  • Honolulu Book Shops - Borders and Barnes/Noble put them out of business
                  • McInerny - I think I went to the Hilo one
                  • Ritz Store - they had some cheap clothes
                  • Francis Camera - good to browse but expensive!!!!

Long gone from across Ala Moana Shopping Center and nearby:
                  • 404 Piikoi Shops & Businesses
                  • Jelly's @ 404 Piikoi - had best sidewalk sales, record LPs 7 for $1
                  • Jelly's @ Keeaumoku & Kapiolani - sidewalk sales there too.
                  • Jelly's @ Keeaumoku across McDonalds in that sleazy building
                  • Records Hawaii - they had a good selection of oldies
                  • Froggie's - they were at 404 for a little while too
                  • Job Lot - lots of cheap stuff there; I still have my $5 portable stereo speakers.
                  • Odyssey Records (Keeaumoku & Kapiolani)
                  • Tower Records (Keeaumoku & Kapiolani)
                  • Anderson's Camera
                  • Pioneer Federal Savings Bank - absorbed into First Hawaiian Bank; free checking!

Up on Keeaumoku St.
                  • Sam Sung Electronics - I bought stereo stuff and a Betamax there in the 1980s
                  • Consumer Tire Warehouse - Go Now Hawaii! Why Pay More.
                  • Honolulu Home Video - they rented VHS and Beta
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Long gone from across Ala Moana Shopping Center and nearby:

Up on Keeaumoku St.
                    GEM department store
                    Bakery Kapiolani
                    Chicken Alice's

Diners Drive-In

Bartles & James wine coolers
                    Real Men eat Quiche
                    Trivia Pursuit
                    Last edited by Walkoff Balk; January 4, 2009, 12:17 PM. Reason: arrange

Comment

[...]
                      Up on Keeaumoku St.

*Sam Sung Electronics - I bought stereo stuff and a Betamax there in the 1980s
                      [...]
                      Curiosity question...
                      Didn't Sam Sung originally open on Makaloa St., ewa of Keeaumoku? I remember buying my initial, Betamax casting equipment at that location. Maybe it wasn't Sam Sung? Hmmm...I wasn't even aware that it was no longer on Keeaumoku!

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                        I've said this before, but I think it bears repeating in this thread: Popcorn at Sears sold at the bottom level under the escalator. The smell went throughout the store.
                        And I think I said it before here too that, while Sears Ala Moana has long done away with selling popcorn, it STILL has that popcorn smell permeated into the concrete structure on the bottom floor. I swear even to this day I can still smell that as I come down the escalator!

I wouldn't be surprised if the smell of incense is permanently permeated within the concrete where India Imports used to be as well.
                        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I could make an entire list, but I really miss drinking Coca-Cola from glass bottles. Occasionally, I get my glass bottle fix from Mexican cokes, and love the taste, but wish I could buy a carton once in awhile. I also miss the old coke machines that had glass bottles.

Oh and I also miss Tom Snyder. He was the perfect nightcap. "Fire up the colortinis and watch the pictures fly through the air!" Sigh. Yeah, I really miss him.
                          Peace, Love, and BBQ!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                            Curiosity question...
                            Didn't Sam Sung originally open on Makaloa St., ewa of Keeaumoku?
                            Yes. They were near the end where Makaloa connects to Sheridan Street. That was 70s and 80s until the place was bulldozed down in 1988 or so to make room for some development or other... and yes, the land about 15 acres lay fallow for the late 80s, all the way through the 90s and until 2003 when my favorite (not yours) discount big box was built....

So around 1988 Sam Sung moved to the place it called for a long time the Sam Sung Plaza.

I bought my Betamax at the old Makaloa location as well as the Sony STR stereo receiever that I still have and works as my main home audio componnt... way back in 1986. That old Sony is one of the best $300 AV gear purchase I ever made... here it is 2009, and the thing still flawlessly works!

Ditto for my old Radio Shack 4 channel mixer. Bought that around the same time and it still works today. I love it when things I pay big bucks for last for a long, long time.

Unfortunately my Sony Betamax died about 18 years ago. Hung on to my Beta tapes and either sold them or gave them away... most recently the remainder to the archive TV guy here at HT.
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

All this talk of old stores and food establishments reminded me of the soda fountains in Woolworths and almost all drug stores. They always had the best milkshakes.

Question: Is the Sam Sung your talking about the same Samsung company that makes electronics? I thought that was a Japanese based company? Can't tell from the posts if it is the name of another store owned by a guy named
                              Sam Sung. This from the girl who thought the "Granny Green House" was a place to grow flowers.............. (FYI - it was Granny's last name)

Comment

So many mentions of FW Woolworth’s. I remember no mo slippah, so to cool off, I walked thru the air-conditioned Fort Street Woolworth’s (at Pauahi) to get from Fort Street to that small, slanted street that is now mostly eating places / bus stop. I forget the name of that street.

Russell’s Clothiers was on that corner of Hotel / Bishop streets.

How about that old tiny Chinese guy who sold newpapers in front of the Alexander-Young Hotel, kitty corner from Russell’s? I sold newspapers on Alakea / King streets & remembered him out-selling me by a large margin.
                                Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

Working...
                                X