Hawaii Five-0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii Five-0

I just purchased mine yesterday while on my lunch break...from Borders for $49.99 minus a 20% discount. When I got home from work, watched the 2 hour pilot Cocoon and thoroughly enjoy it! The color is just fabulous and JL is so handsome!! Watched the pilot with my husband and he even said that it brought back memories of watching it while he was growing up in Massachusetts! Also, watched Full Fathom Five and Strangers In Our Own Land. And enjoyed watching Memories of Hawaii Five-0 with all the interviews of the cast and crew members. I'm off from work today and will be watching more of the set while I do the usual household cleaning....
    Lovena

Comment

I also liked the episode in which McGarrett had to match wits with a master thief, with multiple disguises, played by the late Hume Cronyn, husband of Jessica Tandy. A real cat-and-mouse challenge that seemed to played strictly as a game by both characters.
      Last edited by oceanpacific; March 7, 2007, 10:52 AM.

Comment

I am suprised that TARGET has it for $39.99
        And w/ our ol 10% discount does help a bit

Comment

Originally posted by DannyWilliams View Post
          I get a thrill on how Hawaii used to look like then and I go whoa when I see images I remember walking thru/past as a kid at the time.

But still its HILARIOUS seeing McGarret goin all kindz of directions when driving his car around the islands especially in Waikiki.
          Amazing footage of Kalakaua Avenue with two-way traffic.

But I'd love to know how you could get from Makapuu to Diamond Head with one left turn
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

it's been a long wait for Five-0 to finally come out on video. i'm a little disappointed that in the special feature, all they have is the 1996 reunion show. i know we have lost many from the show since that special but it would have been nice to do something a little more recent.
            james mcarthur, al harrington and doug mossman could have talked story.

Comment

For what its worth according to Uncle Tom's column in the latest Mid Week there is a DVD release party at the Illikai with Emme, Danno and Al Harrington tonight. I honestly don't know if the public is invited to this event. I'd sure like to know because I have some things MacArthur might be interested in regards to his mother. Hopefully this DVD release party is taped and released on the next DVD. I had lunch with the Mossman family a couple years ago at the Jack Lord bust ceremony at Kahala Mall Chili's. Very nice family he has.

KalihiBoy

Comment

Anyone reason why Jack Lord didnt appear on Emme's program, he was still alive in 1996, unless he was in poor health, he seemed to be a recluse in the later years of his life. His wife Marie was something like 16 years OLDER than he was.
                Does anyone remember Jack Lord doing any local interviews over the years, he rarely ever did any national tv interviews I have found out as well.

KalihiBoy

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                  For what its worth according to Uncle Tom's column in the latest Mid Week there is a DVD release party at the Illikai with Emme, Danno and Al Harrington tonight. I honestly don't know if the public is invited to this event. I'd sure like to know...

KalihiBoy
                  The party was invite-only.

Comment

Just got the DVD and am loving it.

Being that I only really remember seeing the show when it was on originally, I only really remember the intro and theme song (of course, that amazing theme song is indelible).

Watching the show now, I think the material is really great stuff. Well written, good characters....The Pilot especially. Love it.

The 2nd episode "Strangers in our own land" raises issues still talked about on this board....the building of all the condos and high rises taking over the land....some of the dialogue almost sounds very similar to stuff discussed on these boards....now 40 years later, much of it has come true.

Definitely a great show, and I'm looking forward to finishing the rest of the DVD's and the upcoming seasons.
                    http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                    Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                    Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Costco re-stocked Hawaii 5-0 Season One. I bought it last week for $29.99. Even with tax, cheaper than Amazon.com ($33.99, no tax, free shipping).

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                        Anyone reason why Jack Lord didnt appear on Emme's program, he was still alive in 1996, unless he was in poor health, he seemed to be a recluse in the later years of his life. His wife Marie was something like 16 years OLDER than he was.
                        Does anyone remember Jack Lord doing any local interviews over the years, he rarely ever did any national tv interviews I have found out as well.

KalihiBoy
                        Jack Lord didn't appear in Emme's Island Moments in '96 because he was suffering from Alzheimer's and was less than 2 years away from dying.

As to complaints about how CBS/Paramount should have come up with more recent bonus material than the Emme special,.... According to a reliable source from the Yahoo! H50 fan club, CBS was planning to shoot new interviews/commentary with James McArthur and Rose Freeman (widow of exec. producer Leonard Freeman), among other people for DVD bonus material. But when they found out about the existence of the Emme special, they decided it would be more cost-effective to use that. If you ask me, it wasn't all that bad a decision, especially since it is now quite impossible to do new interviews with Kam Fong, Zulu, Herman Wedemeyer, Richard Denning, Moe Keale, and Marie Lord.

Besides, there will be opportunities for new interviews when subsequent seasons of H50 get released on DVD.
                        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I finally got at least DISC 1 via NetFlix and still in the middle of the pilot episode.......

Noticed a few interesting things goin here so far....

- The opening credits is waaay waaaaay different.Seemed like an extended version versus the condensed version everyone is familiar with.
                          I kinda like the intro of Jack Lord spinning around on the top of the ILIKAI <--- Is it right? Waaay waaay better from the pilot

- James McArthur was not in the pilot... Jack Lord adresses to this guy "Dano" and I was like WHO'S THAT?!?!?

And like I already mentioned.... It's hilarious seeing McGarrett's car goin in all kinds of directions

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
                            I'm looking forward to finishing the rest of the DVD's and the upcoming seasons.
                            Season 2 to be released July 31, 2007.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                              Season 2 to be released July 31, 2007.
                              NICE....Now that I'm completely hooked on the show, I'll be first in line to get that.

Also, being that i really didn't remember much about the show, except for the amazing theme song, It's fun to know where "Danny Williams" got his screen name.

I must say, it's a really great show, even by today's standards. great story ideas, good writing...some cheezy over acting, but great fun to watch.
                              What's really great is seeing those places in 1968 and trying to recognize them. Kailua beach still looks pretty similar, as does Hanauma Bay.
                              Conversely, Many of the scenes are filmed at construction sites, which were empty lots being cleared for for housing tracts, which i'm sure are all covered with homes now.

Also great is the hippie counterculture being used as the criminal scapegoat...lots of drugged out hippies being smartasses to the 5-0, talking in all that 60's hippie lingo.

Gavin McCleod as Big Chicken...hilarious. Ricardo Mantalban as a JAPANESE guy, even funnier. Even Yaphet Kotto, lots of people getting their first acting breaks.

Can't wait for the next season.

BTW....Steve McGarrett didn't say "Book em', Dan-O" until the 4th episode.
                              http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                              Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                              Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

OK, I found out from a fan site on who was that actor who originally played Danny Williams.......

Apparently test audiences was not to fond of the actor from the pilot show soooooooooo Leonard Freeman sent the guy packing and got James McArthur instead.
                                Normally the actor would be tweaked and fine tuned for the show but the change around transpired and it paid off for the show.

Comment

Working...
                                X